The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

I agree, @Shaw66  I thought we did a fairly good job of holding Jackson back last year. It appeared to me, at the time, that the blueprint was now out there for all to see. 

He will definitely have his moments, but I’m taking Josh all day long and twice on Sunday. That’s not just my standard homer talk, either. 😃 

• Like (+1) 7

35 yards passing at the end of the 1st half.  Yikes.

In fairness to Lamar, he doesn't have the kind of weapons we have or KC has.  

Josh TD to Diggs Sunday was a Lamar type throw with that wrist flick. He didnt have time or the space to wind up so he just whipped that forearm.  Awesome.

Edited by Da webster guy
  • Like (+1) 2

Say it with me..."We don't have to tear down Lamar, to prop Josh up".

Lamar is a phenomenal player and deserves his place at the "elite of the elite" table. Josh is well on his way to earning a seat. Both of these things can exist simultaneously.

Frankly, I find this take to be garbage. "The end of an era" because the MVP had one bad game?  Get outta here...

Shaw - you come for the king, you better not miss.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 24
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'll give the league's 2019 MVP more than 1 game to demonstrate he can no longer be dynamic. 

Josh is the better passer of the football right now and may always be.  What is funny are the people who pronounce something is so with regard to players, league trends after one or a handful of games.  It takes a much bigger sample size to identify what is happening across the NFL or how a young player does or does not progress.

• Like (+1) 8

ESPN: "iS tHIs tH3 neW bRAdY v mANniNG?

Chiefs: "lol no"

That said, Lamar is a phenomenal athlete and made the Chiefs D look like a pop warner squad with his legs at times last night.  And had a pretty nice TD pass.  Ravens O was just not in that game at all, Lamar included.  Takes more than one game to convince me that a league MVP has departed.

Edited by LeviF91
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was watching Mahomes last night and you see the things he does that separates him from Allen. When he runs he doesn't take hits. He slides or he gets out of bounds. When a play is busted he will throw the ball away and live to fight another down. A lot of the throws Allen is making this year is just like Mahomes, but he needs to preserve himself by not taking the hits when he can and throw the ball away when necessary because it's not the end of the world. This will be the next step in the maturation of Allen. 

On Lamar? He will be a QB in Baltimore for as long as his body holds up and as long as Roman is the OC. He will put up gaudy numbers at times. The fact of the matter remains the same, make him beat you with his arm by having to stay contained and forcing him to throw outside the numbers. He can't right now. Let him run and get some yards on the ground. It's not going to beat the good teams. Pressure him and force him to make quick reads while stepping up into the pocket. He can't beat you that way right now. Keep him from scrambling to his right because that's where most of his improvisational throws come from. We did a good job of containing him last year outside of the one busted coverage where Hurst got the TD. The Titans forced him to try to comeback using his arm and he faltered. The Chiefs last night followed a similar blueprint. Even with all of that, I still see Lamar and Josh as head and shoulders above the rest as the top 2 QB's from that draft class. They are definitely the two most exciting as well.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Holy Hell this is nonsense. He was the league MVP last year. He had one bad game and its the "end of an era"???  Maybe you're right but it's too early to make that kind of statement. My guess is you have been waiting for an opportunity to proclaim this and jumped at the first chance.  This post gets a giant eye roll.  Your stuff is usually excellent but yikes

Edited by blitzboy54
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

I was watching Mahomes last night and you see the things he does that separates him from Allen. When he runs he doesn't take hits. He slides or he gets out of bounds. When a play is busted he will throw the ball away and live to fight another down. A lot of the throws Allen is making this year is just like Mahomes, but he needs to preserve himself by not taking the hits when he can and throw the ball away when necessary because it's not the end of the world. This will be the next step in the maturation of Allen. 

On Lamar? He will be a QB in Baltimore for as long as his body holds up and as long as Roman is the OC. He will put up gaudy numbers at times. The fact of the matter remains the same, make him beat you with his arm by having to stay contained and forcing him to throw outside the numbers. He can't right now. Let him run and get some yards on the ground. It's not going to beat the good teams. Pressure him and force him to make quick reads while stepping up into the pocket. He can't beat you that way right now. Keep him from scrambling to his right because that's where most of his improvisational throws come from. We did a good job of containing him last year outside of the one busted coverage where Hurst got the TD. The Titans forced him to try to comeback using his arm and he faltered. The Chiefs last night followed a similar blueprint. Even with all of that, I still see Lamar and Josh as head and shoulders above the rest as the top 2 QB's from that draft class. They are definitely the two most exciting as well.  

So this is a still a thing, huh? I would have thought this would have gone away after Twitter just decimated this argument for the first two weeks of the season. 

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Say it with me..."We don't have to tear down Lamar, to prop Josh up".

Lamar is a phenomenal player and deserves his place at the "elite of the elite" table. Josh is well on his way to earning a seat. Both of these things can exist simultaneously.

Frankly, I find this take to be garbage and won't respond further. "The end of an era" because the MVP had one bad game?  Get outta here...

Shaw - you come for the king, don't miss.

Tend to agree.  There were a few drops that were drive killers, and his overall pocket presence at the end of the game was just... panic.  

The big thing that I noticed was after those drops? He's hanging his head, his body language is poor.  I understand being on the field expecting greatness, but you have to exude confidence as a QB - a true field general.  Cam Newton to me is a good example of this - he had his MVP campaign and honestly became a bit of a diva.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lamar Jackson's big tests this season will come against the Steelers. Can a division team solve him? If so, he's moving back into the pack. If Pitt cannot, the Raven's only division rival, then Jackson is going to stay in the limelight.

Edited by scribo
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

So this is a still a thing, huh? I would have thought this would have gone away after Twitter just decimated this argument for the first two weeks of the season. 

Yep, still a thing if you actually watch him play. I know I've watched him play and he has been very, VERY, fortunate at times.