Is Josh Allen too good to be true?

StHustle

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly think you watch a different game.  The #1 thing Allen was working on this offseason was the deep ball.  It was a problem in 2019 and he knew it.  But you'll continue the blame the receivers and coaching.

The biggest difference this year is he's connecting and that's why his passing numbers are up.  You just can't fathom that for whatever reason.

I'll continue the blame the receivers ....

Year 1 of Josh had Zay Jones and Bob Foster

Year 2 of Josh had Brown, Beasley and Bob Foster

Year 3 of Josh has Brown, Beasley and Diggs. 

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And then the coaching staff for not getting him some help & better offensive schemes and coaching.  

And yes McD thought 20 points is enough to win every game (or at least go 9-7).

What a circular argument.  Ughhhhh..... You're right McD got the VERY very best out of Allen the first two years and exceeded everyone's expectations.

And don't forget Daboll too....

Allen will have a bad game, maybe 2 or sadly 3 for the year but his transformation is 100% real. The pass to Kroft for a TD he would never throw in his 1st 2 years with a soft jump ball feel. The seam pass to Beasley he couldn't throw consistently, and his touch TD pass to Diggs he couldn't throw with touch as the game was going too fast. 

In other words he learned touch, the game slowed down, and he's for real. 

We have 12-15 years of great QBing for the 1st time in a long ever with new training, rehab, and exercise routines. If he can stop trying to Hulk the defense his body will hold up. Still it's amazing to watch. 

I just hate watching fans go psycho when he will have a bad game. He's going to be a great one. 

On 9/29/2020 at 5:53 AM, StHustle said:

I think many of us fans are having challenges soaking up at least some aspect of our current success.

Some of us cant accept that the media at large believes in us. 

Some of us struggle with simply believing this team won't collapse, like the multiple other seasons we started out fast before the inevitable crash & burn.

Me? I'm struggling to believe Josh has truly improved this much. Its all so unreal. I'm a huge believer in Josh and in my wildest expectations wouldn't have thought he would take such a huge leap.

Accuracy issues? In these first 3 games alone, Josh probably has the top 3 passes by any Bills QB in over 2 decades. He went from being a guy who most felt, in the best case scenario, could marginally improve his accuracy to middle of the pack level which, when combined with everything else he brings to the table, would make him a respectable starter..maybe even a fringe top 10 guy. With his already proven intangibles and a great defense to boot...WE COULD BE CONTENDERS!

Josh heard his critics loud and clear and WOWZERS! He has improved to the point where he is throwing the ball with ELITE accuracy consistently and he moves in the pocket at an elite level as well (pocket presence was already very good but he has improved to elite).

Combine that with his already proven to be elite rushing ability, his elite comeback ability....and what do we have folks?

AN ELITE QUARTERBACK! One whose ceiling is greatest QB in Bills history!!

But wait a second. Its only 3 games in. He's gonna fall back to earth right? After a flukish 3 games, the analytics bastards will be proven right. Right?

Well folks...This is what I am personally struggling with accepting. As much as I want to believe it's real right now, I'll probably need to see it happen til mid season before I can let my walls down and come to accept what seems to be the impossible; Josh Allen has taken the leap to elite status! Is this real life?

This thread is indeed about whether or not Josh is too good to be true, but also share any struggles you may be dealing with believing our time has finally come again. If you are like me, the doubt is there but you don't speak on it. This thread is my first time sharing my feelings on this.

Josh hasn't improved that much.   He's improving.  He's been improving for two years now, and he isn't done.   

Some other things have happened to make it look like he's made a huge leap:

1.  Diggs.  The talent that Allen has in the receiving corps is awesome.  Everyone in the league knows it. 

2.  The officiating.   Holding calls being down has really helped the passing games.   The big plays aren't getting called back.

3. Offensive innovation.  The Rams, the Chiefs, and, yes, the Bills are attacking all over the field in creative ways.  

Allen has improved enough to be able to take advantage of all of those developments.   That's why his numbers went to the stratosphere.   Wait until Allen really understand NFL defenses.  He'll really be something. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And then the coaching staff for not getting him some help & better offensive schemes and coaching.  

What a circular argument.  Ughhhhh..... You're right McD got the VERY very best out of Allen the first two years and exceeded everyone's expectations.

They had a Cap mess to deal with IIRC and had to dump some dead weight.  

Once they freed up $ they got some good players.

2021 will be tight as the cap is low w/o restructuring.  

2022 is another story with plenty to spend 

24 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yes, there is a reason why we went out to get Diggs.....he was a missing piece.  

But Diggs isn't a God...adding just him doesn't increase your passing yards per game by like 130.  The biggest difference is Allen is connecting because he improved.  

29 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Then why did they trade for Diggs if they thought 20 ppg is enough to win every game?  They should have just went all defense.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/5-things-bills-sean-mcdermott-said-on-stefon-diggs-challenging-offseason-free-agents.html

Would McDermott like to score more points? Of course.

“I would love to sit and take a seat on the bench in the fourth quarter of one of these games and maybe eat an orange slice or something,” he said. “Drink a Gatorade and have my heart not going a million miles an hour.”

All jokes aside, McDermott said the league dictates how games are played and it’s usually a touchdown or less that separates teams each week. McDermott added that the goal is to score more points this season after finishing 23rd in the NFL with just 19.6 points per game.

“I am maybe a little bit different than some defensive head coaches out there,” he said. “I say that because I think a lot of defensive head coaches, and maybe head coaches overall, have a tendency to pad their side of the ball, personnel-wise. I don’t want to do that. I know you’ve got to score points in this league to win games. And I think to have a balanced football team, we need to score points and that’s been an emphasis and a theme that we’ve talked about since the end of the season last year. I’m encouraged by what we’ve added personnel-wise to help us in that category, as well as the work that our offensive staff has done this offseason.”