Is Josh Allen too good to be true?

StHustle

31 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The way McD coached the prior 3 years, I'd say YES!!!!  Again 48 games & not a single one over 300....  No team went a season doing that over that time period, much less 3.

It's about trust. McDermott is trusting Allen to win games. In the past he felt defense and ball control won.

Once you trust your QB is when the big passing numbers start rolling in consistently.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

40 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The way McD coached the prior 3 years, I'd say YES!!!!  Again 48 games & not a single one over 300....  No team went a season doing that over that time period, much less 3.

LOL...okay.

McDermott coached him not to throw with anticipation and overthrow his receivers in previous years.

Jordan Palmer said Allen knew what he needed to work on and busted his butt this offseason to improve it.  You’re not giving Allen any credit at all for that and only blaming McDermott.  Get real man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

In his last 14 games Allen has accounted for 33 TDs and 3 INTs. Its OK to actually believe what you are watching for once.

It sounds awesome but it's really a cherry-picked stat. You credit him for touchdowns made running and throwing, but only the turnovers made throwing.

Still, 3 (really 2) picks is a single game's worth for many QB's, even highly regarded ones.

For those on the "clean up the fumbles" train, that's the other side of the extend-plays-and-truck-LBs coin, so you're gonna have an elevated level compared to QB's who can't/don't/won't. This is what the guy is and what he does.

God help us down the road when he's a "wily ring veteran" and knows all the little tricks.

47 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's about trust. McDermott is trusting Allen to win games. In the past he felt defense and ball control won.

Once you trust your QB is when the big passing numbers start rolling in consistently.

I don't think this is about coaching or trust.

I think McD/Frazier "lock down D" depends upon having a stout DL especially up the middle and gap integrity.  We lost two starters in Shaq and Phillips.  We thought we did enough to replace them, but that was counting Star Lotulelei into the mix and depending on Harrison Phillips return to form.  Well, Star opted out and Phillips is still working his way back from the ACL.

A significant shoulder injury that Edmunds is apparently trying to play through does not help.

Right now IMHO we lack the "Jimmies and Joes" to play D the way Frazier and McD need it played for their D to be successful.  At least publicly, their answer is 'we got the guys we need on the team right now, they just have to step it up and play better'.  Unfortunately this kind of reminds me of what was said about our OL in 2018 and the team's off-season actions made it clear that they really didn't have the players they needed to get it done at the time.

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL...okay.

McDermott coached him not to throw with anticipation and overthrow his receivers in previous years.

Jordan Palmer said Allen knew what he needed to work on and busted his butt this offseason to improve it.  You’re not giving Allen any credit at all for that and only blaming McDermott.  Get real man.

Yes a feel good post.  But again that too comes with practice & game time situations.  They were too conservative with Allen the first 2 years.   I will not come off that stance & the #'s bare it out.

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL...okay.

this was always my take as well.  the staff didn't have the confidence in allen yet, nor should they have.  i don't think they were being conservative out of want.  

no matter how everything plays out with allen, we can all agree on how hard he's worked to get to this point.  so far so good.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes a feel good post.  But again that too comes with practice & game time situations.  They were too conservative with Allen the first 2 years.   I will not come off that stance & the #'s bare it out.

It's difficult to trust a young QB when you're winning. The Steelers didn't unleash Ben Roethlisberger for a while either. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep....no credit to Allen improving.  Just none.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's difficult to trust a young QB when you're winning. The Steelers didn't unleash Ben Roethlisberger for a while either. 

Big Ben is a good example.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh yea & they won 13 games in a row (& yes a 300 yard game) and won the SB his second year.....  

The Bills do the same with Josh Allen?  Different circumstances to say the least.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

this was always my take as well.  the staff didn't have the confidence in allen yet, nor should they have.  i don't think they were being conservative out of want.  

no matter how everything plays out with allen, we can all agree on how hard he's worked to get to this point.  so far so good.

When Allen is going downfield this season he’s struggling to connect with his receivers. Last week against the Philadelphia Eagles he attempted just one pass beyond 30 yards and it was incomplete to receiver Robert Foster. That miss brought his season total on passes that travel more than 30 yards to 3 of 35 (8.5 percent) on the year.

Allen knows it’s been a problem this season. He was late to his Wednesday press conference because he was busy working on rectifying the issue.

“I haven’t been doing a good enough job with allowing our players to go make some plays and that’s going to be an added focus this week,” Allen said. “I just was a little late because I was working on that. It’s every day, we just have to keep finding things to get better at and myself included.”

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/10/buffalo-bills-qb-josh-allen-hitting-the-deep-ball-is-added-focus-ahead-of-washington-game.html

Edited by Royale with Cheese

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep....no credit to Allen improving.  Just none.

Big Ben is a good example.  

Yes he has improved.  I also think he could have been better last year and thus blamed the coaching.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When Allen is going downfield this season he’s struggling to connect with his receivers. Last week against the Philadelphia Eagles he attempted just one pass beyond 30 yards and it was incomplete to receiver Robert Foster. That miss brought his season total on passes that travel more than 30 yards to 3 of 35 (8.5 percent) on the year.

Allen knows it’s been a problem this season. He was late to his Wednesday press conference because he was busy working on rectifying the issue.

“I haven’t been doing a good enough job with allowing our players to go make some plays and that’s going to be an added focus this week,” Allen said. “I just was a little late because I was working on that. It’s every day, we just have to keep finding things to get better at and myself included.”

And having a small receiving corp with a case of the dropsies didn't help either.😜

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

i have no idea why this is complicated to him.  do he feel there was a conversation where the coaching staff sat down and figured, "maybe we'll be more aggressive this year...why not?".  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes he has improved.  I also think he could have been better last year and thus blamed the coaching.

Prior to the Eagles game last year, Allen was 3 of 35 throwing the ball more than 30 yards.  What's the difference this year?  Allen is connecting and that's why he's having these gaudy stats.

Can you really not comprehend that if he was connecting on more big chunk plays last year he would have many more passing yards?  Is it really that hard?

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i have no idea why this is complicated to him.  do he feel there was a conversation where the coaching staff sat down and figured, "maybe we'll be more aggressive this year...why not?".  

We were throwing downfield last year too....Allen is just connecting this year.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We were throwing downfield last year too....Allen is just connecting this year.  

no doubt.  the more he does it, the more likely they'll dial up those plays as well.  this year is just clicking so far.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Prior to the Eagles game last year, Allen was 3 of 35 throwing the ball more than 30 yards.  What's the difference this year?  Allen is connecting and that's why he's having these gaudy stats.

Can you really not comprehend that if he was connecting on more big chunk plays last year he would have many more passing yards?  Is it really that hard?

Ughhhhh......  I give up.....  I have laid out that I thought bad receivers, throwing the ball away, bad play calling & many other factors came into play.  

Where did you get 3-35.  He was not chucking 7 deep balls/game in 2019 (and certainly almost no chance for Foster or Mackenzie to catch them)?  

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Ughhhhh......  I give up.....  I have laid out that I thought bad receivers, throwing the ball away, bad play calling & many other factors came into play.  

Where did you get 3-35.  He was not chucking 7 deep balls/game in 2019 (and certainly almost no chance for Foster or Mackenzie to catch them)?  

I honestly think you watch a different game.  The #1 thing Allen was working on this offseason was the deep ball.  It was a problem in 2019 and he knew it.  But you'll continue the blame the receivers and coaching.

The biggest difference this year is he's connecting and that's why his passing numbers are up.  You just can't fathom that for whatever reason.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/10/buffalo-bills-qb-josh-allen-hitting-the-deep-ball-is-added-focus-ahead-of-washington-game.html

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/josh-allen-gets-creative-in-offseason-work-focusing-on-deep-ball/article_ecc61d5b-f614-5cbd-87cc-bb1520a21923.html

7 minutes ago, teef said:

no doubt.  the more he does it, the more likely they'll dial up those plays as well.  this year is just clicking so far.

This is what I think 72 thinks.

McDermott to Daboll in 2019:  Hey, what are we the least successful at?

Daboll:  The deep ball.  

McDermott: Well lets keep doing it because I like to punt and try to win games 17-14.  I know I say we need to score more points but I honestly don't mean it.  

• Haha (+1) 1