Is Josh Allen too good to be true?

StHustle

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All I can think about is the Drew Bledsoe collapse and the Ryan Fitzpatrick collapse? Josh obviously so much more talented but I'm still waiting for the collapse.

Why on earth would you wait for a Josh Allen collapse ? 

OTOH, I am hoping its only a matter of time before Cam crashes back to earth. 

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

Just ignore the analytics and enjoy it. And if it doesn't last don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

This x1000!

I love Bills fans, and I know the last 20 years have been really rough, but I am just struck at how miserable we have become... so leery of success.  In my near 50 years of living and dying with this team, the bad times have far outweighed the good...just enjoy it when it things are going well. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buftex said:

This x1000!

I love Bills fans, and I know the last 20 years have been really rough, but I am just struck at how miserable we have become... so leery of success.  In my near 50 years of living and dying with this team, the bad times have far outweighed the good...just enjoy it when it things are going well. 

I think you are totally missing it. Its not that we don't want to enjoy it...in fact, we are.

Guess what? We are human. Its actually normal for a person to feel hesitant about trusting something after being burned for almost two decades straight. We've had similar early season success in the past, only for it to turn into fools gold. We've had high hopes in a couple QBs only for them flame out. 

So no,  it isn't about being miserable. Its about being human.

• Like (+1) 1

He has to tighten a few things up, mainly ball security and giving up on some plays esp when the team is up. Josh has this amazing gun slinger mentality of never giving up on a play. BUT when the team is up big he has to be more willing to toss the ball away and not risk a fumble or turnover. So overall Josh has played like a top 5 QB this season thus far. Plenty to see how he keeps going and how he adjusts to the league adjusting to him. But so far he isn't too good to be true. He is the real deal.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All I can think about is the Drew Bledsoe collapse and the Ryan Fitzpatrick collapse? Josh obviously so much more talented but I'm still waiting for the collapse.

Josh's 2019 was pretty solid, so I hope that 2020 is a sign of progression building off of that as opposed to a mirage that of Fitz or Bledsoe.

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

fgd57vv29zp51.jpg

1180xo6xyyp51.jpg?width=2047&format=pjpg

hl2lr547hxp51.jpg?width=436&auto=webp&s=

Josh is a complete animal. Yes he does need to learn when to reign it in. I worry how the team seems to celebrate the crazy stuff he does. Nobody will smiling when the play ends and Josh doesn't get up. Josh simply has to learn to pick his spots. Its almost like he needs to learn when to swallow his pride and not feel like he has to physically dominate the defnder in front of him. He has to start incorporating the game circumstances when deciding to go ham or surrender.

13 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

300+ passing yards and 3-4 TD's per game every game is just unlikely I think. Especially since it seems like defenses are struggling out of the gate in this very unusual season.

YE OLE can get on board with this to some extent... and you are right that defenses have been getting torched, including our own once sterling defensive unit. However, what might give one hope that this streak Allen is on isn’t reliant on poor defense has been the quality of plays he has made. The 3rd and 22 to Beasley while getting flushed out of the pocket, the pass to Diggs down the sideline that somehow just floated into his hands with the defender draped all over him, and the laundry list of other ridiculous runs/throws Allen has made haven’t always just been poor defense. If Allen’s game now includes precision ball placement, he truly might be a generational talent. 

18 hours ago, StHustle said:

I think many of us fans are having challenges soaking up at least some aspect of our current success.

Some of us cant accept that the media at large believes in us. 

Some of us struggle with simply believing this team won't collapse, like the multiple other seasons we started out fast before the inevitable crash & burn.

Me? I'm struggling to believe Josh has truly improved this much. Its all so unreal. I'm a huge believer in Josh and in my wildest expectations wouldn't have thought he would take such a huge leap.

Accuracy issues? In these first 3 games alone, Josh probably has the top 3 passes by any Bills QB in over 2 decades. He went from being a guy who most felt, in the best case scenario, could marginally improve his accuracy to middle of the pack level which, when combined with everything else he brings to the table, would make him a respectable starter..maybe even a fringe top 10 guy. With his already proven intangibles and a great defense to boot...WE COULD BE CONTENDERS!

Josh heard his critics loud and clear and WOWZERS! He has improved to the point where he is throwing the ball with ELITE accuracy consistently and he moves in the pocket at an elite level as well (pocket presence was already very good but he has improved to elite).

Combine that with his already proven to be elite rushing ability, his elite comeback ability....and what do we have folks?

AN ELITE QUARTERBACK! One whose ceiling is greatest QB in Bills history!!

But wait a second. Its only 3 games in. He's gonna fall back to earth right? After a flukish 3 games, the analytics bastards will be proven right. Right?

Well folks...This is what I am personally struggling with accepting. As much as I want to believe it's real right now, I'll probably need to see it happen til mid season before I can let my walls down and come to accept what seems to be the impossible; Josh Allen has taken the leap to elite status! Is this real life?

This thread is indeed about whether or not Josh is too good to be true, but also share any struggles you may be dealing with believing our time has finally come again. If you are like me, the doubt is there but you don't speak on it. This thread is my first time sharing my feelings on this.

I think this pretty well sums up my view on Josh Allen right now:

My guilty pleasure, I ain't going nowhere
Baby, long as you're here
I'll be floating on air
('Cause you're my, you're my...)
You can be a sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare
Either way I don't wanna wake up from you

28 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Josh is a complete animal. Yes he does need to learn when to reign it in. I worry how the team seems to celebrate the crazy stuff he does. Nobody will smiling when the play ends and Josh doesn't get up. Josh simply has to learn to pick his spots. Its almost like he needs to learn when to swallow his pride and not feel like he has to physically dominate the defnder in front of him. He has to start incorporating the game circumstances when deciding to go ham or surrender.

I don't think the team celebrates the crazy stuff he does.  John Brown spoke for a lot of them in his presser last week.  "It's definitely scary when Josh hits somebody...I don't too much like it" "John Brown Guys come ready to work every day" (about 3:50 in - the link won't take you there, scroll down to find the one with that heading)

I think they have a split personality about it.  On the one hand it's a very effective way to lead and get people to follow you, inspire them to extra effort - when they see you putting it all out on the line yourself.  On the other hand, they recognize that some of the stuff he does is a high risk of injury and the whole team will be handicapped without him. They wish he'd do less, and I'm sure some of them let him know.

• Like (+1) 1

No, Josh Allen is NOT too good to be true.  I can say with 100% confidence that what we are witnessing is the development into an elite franchise quarterback.  Allen has done nothing but improve from one year to the next since getting here.  The biggest difference this year is that the jump he's made has been WAYYY bigger than any of us could have expected of him.  

At the end of the season last year, after our playoff loss to Houston, it was the first time in my history as a Buffalo Bills fan that I was genuinely optimistic for the upcoming season.  I felt like Josh had made good progress in several areas.  To be honest, it was during the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving that I personally turned the corner on Josh, and went from he's a decent QB to "ok this kid might be something special".  And he has done nothing but get better ever since.  I adore his leadership skills, the way he operates in the huddle, and how even only at (then) 23 years old, the team respects him and rallys around him.  And how he rises to the occasion when IT MATTERS MOST.  He could be having a sub-par game for 3 1/2 quarters of football, but it seems like every single time we need a 4th quarter comeback, he delivers, and he's been doing that for the past two years really.  I think I noticed it most when he WASN'T playing.  The game against the Patriots, when he got knocked out of the game on his final drive, I am willing to bet my life savings that had he not gotten injured, we would've won that game, or at the very least scored on that drive.  And now this year, he's not only 3-0, but each team has gotten better and better, and SO HAS JOSH.  If I had to pick the attribute I love about him the most, that would be it.  Yes Lord I love his arm strength, his mobility, his leadership, his work ethic, but I just love the fact that the tougher things get, the better, the more accurate, the more focused he becomes.  It's to a point now that when we are down, and we have the football, I EXPECT us to go down the field and score, where in years past, I simply waited for something to go wrong, for an untimely interception or fumble to end the game.  He has yet to disappoint me.  

So no, he's not too good to be true at all my friend.   We indeed have the real deal, we indeed have our franchise QB for the next 10+ years I pray.  And to think, he'll STILL only be 34 years old!!  

Allen for MVP 2020!!

• Like (+1) 1