Is Josh Allen too good to be true?

StHustle

Well, the first thing I do here is consider what are opposing D's going to scheme to stop him.

Set edges and just contain him in the pocket? Hahaha no, give him time to throw and he find the open guy.

Pressure up the middle and force scrambles and off-platform throws? Hell no, his numbers are actually better there.

Zone? No, too much velocity on the throws. DBs can't get there in time.

Man? No, throws with touch and anticipation.

Take away underneath? No, someone who throws 80 yards and has Diggs and Brown takes the top off.

Play soft and deep? No, they'll just dink down the field with little digs and outs.

I dunno man. #17 is The Problem, alright. Just not for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

you're a piker.  i don't think we can declare Allen a franchise QB until he throws 100 TDs in a game and rushes for another 100.  Anything less than 1400 points scored in a game we might as well go back to Tuhrod

Boy... You figured me out!  I am gonna call you Superman 🦸‍♂️... You got that x-ray vision working, singing right along.  You can see right through me! 

Sorry @BringBackFergy & @Gugny you've been demoted to Jr. SuperHero status.  There's a new sheriff in town and their name is:  dorquemada !! 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He's good, but he won't keep up this kind of pace for his career let alone this season IMO.

I said the same thing about Mahomes after the first 3-4 games of his 2nd year. Odds are you're correct, however it's certainly not an impossibility.

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He's good, but he won't keep up this kind of pace for his career let alone this season IMO.

Why? He is getting better. You can see the game is slowing down for him. He is doing a much better job reading defenses and being smart in where he goes with the ball. If anything I think he may run less. He is to important to this team to keep taking unnessary hits. Who knows what numbers he will put up going forward but he has all  the talent in the world to lead the Bills to a Super Bowl and go on to have a HOF career.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

I think many of us fans are having challenges soaking up at least some aspect of our current success.

Some of us cant accept that the media at large believes in us. 

Some of us struggle with simply believing this team won't collapse, like the multiple other seasons we started out fast before the inevitable crash & burn.

Me? I'm struggling to believe Josh has truly improved this much. Its all so unreal. I'm a huge believer in Josh and in my wildest expectations wouldn't have thought he would take such a huge leap.

Accuracy issues? In these first 3 games alone, Josh probably has the top 3 passes by any Bills QB in over 2 decades. He went from being a guy who most felt, in the best case scenario, could marginally improve his accuracy to middle of the pack level which, when combined with everything else he brings to the table, would make him a respectable starter..maybe even a fringe top 10 guy. With his already proven intangibles and a great defense to boot...WE COULD BE CONTENDERS!

Josh heard his critics loud and clear and WOWZERS! He has improved to the point where he is throwing the ball with ELITE accuracy consistently and he moves in the pocket at an elite level as well (pocket presence was already very good but he has improved to elite).

Combine that with his already proven to be elite rushing ability, his elite comeback ability....and what do we have folks?

AN ELITE QUARTERBACK! One whose ceiling is greatest QB in Bills history!!

But wait a second. Its only 3 games in. He's gonna fall back to earth right? After a flukish 3 games, the analytics bastards will be proven right. Right?

Well folks...This is what I am personally struggling with accepting. As much as I want to believe it's real right now, I'll probably need to see it happen til mid season before I can let my walls down and come to accept what seems to be the impossible; Josh Allen has taken the leap to elite status! Is this real life?

I really don’t ‘t get this view point.  If anyone was really paying attention, then none of this is really that much of a surprise.  

Josh Allen was already displaying significant improvements in accuracy last year in every phase except for his deep ball.  

However, Josh deep ball also started improving late in the season too, his slyest end total was still a very poor accuracy number, but that’s also because he started the season off like 1-30 or something insane like that on the deep ball.  

And all off season, all the reports, clips, etc that were coming out were all about much improved mechanics to get more touch and deep accuracy.

Honestly, this is exactly what I expected from Josh this year based on his trajectory of year after year improvements and everything we saw and heard over the offseason.  Especially with the addition of Diggs as well.

So for me, none of this is really any kind of a surprise and pretty much what i have been saying all off season, especially after the Diggs trade.  The only thing that is a bit of surprise is the heavy passing volume given I expected our RBs to also get a little more action, especially given they are averaging a high YPC.  But when we are moving with ease through the air, I get riding that momentum.  

I think Capacchio summed it up, perfectly!

Bills fans have waited for almost a generation to finally find an entertaining team! Year after year after year, we watched in horror, as a bunch of stumblebum, penalty filled losers, marched out every Sunday, to find new, excruciating ways to lose! And their HCs were as abysmally stupid and ill suited for the task of bringing order, responsibility and a sea change in attitude. 

Even, with the rare Ws, it was always a grind out, low scoring affair, where the talentless QBs, throwing to Sunday Beer League Receivers, had to rely on the D to hold off a 17-16 win! And the abominable streak of 49 cringeworthy games without a 300 yard Passing game?  While, at the same time, a 1/2 dozen NFL QBs were lighting up the scoreboard weekly!!!

Finally, as Sal alluded to... IT WAS BORING! Horribly, insipidly boring- finally driving us away from Season Ticket status- 5 years back! To be a fan, was to hide out, awaiting the inevitable: ”What is wrong with your Buffalo Bills?”

EVERYTHING was the answer!

And so finally, all has changed! Like the Glory Years, we EXPECT the Bills to compete in and win every game, minimum the Division!
We expect our QB to put up 3 Passing TDs. 

We expect the Offense to score early and often.

We expect them to roll through the Red Zone into the End Zone.

WE EXPECT THEM TO BE ENTERTAINING AND WIN! 

And they are. Led by a rough diamond, who can only get better, as he marshals his talents to ensure victories and avoid unnecessary risk!

We are entertained... even in this bizarre year without our fellow fans or friends in bars, cheering them on.

GO BILLS! 
Go to the SB!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

300+ passing yards and 3-4 TD's per game every game is just unlikely I think. Especially since it seems like defenses are struggling out of the gate in this very unusual season.

This is a reasonable take, but I think the expectations (as of a month ago) of maxing out eventually - if development goes perfectly - of maybe a 4000 yds/30 TD season someday, has to be reset.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

300+ passing yards and 3-4 TD's per game every game is just unlikely I think. Especially since it seems like defenses are struggling out of the gate in this very unusual season.

True to expect 300 + yards and 3-4 TD's every game is unrealistic but their is no reason he can't be a franchise QB like Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger etc etc, Sure their will be days when he has a bad game or the numbers aren't there but that happens to every QB. Josh has all the talent to be top QB in this league.

Josh has had to deal with doubters his whole life (no scholarship offers, juco, then only Wyoming interested), and it's driven him to work his ass off to improve every day.

Example: The first 2 games this year, he was wildly inaccurate while rolling to his left. But he must've worked on it all last week in practice, because he completed several in Sunday's game, including the 39 yarder to Gabe. It's just one more example of how driven he is, and how much he wants to be great.

we are not completely out of the Josh Allen woods quite yet.

As we saw on Sunday, Allen can and will get rattled when someone damages his football-fu.  

When he gets rattled, it infects the entire offense and they stop making plays.

In Sunday's case, he was able to shake it off but I can see him getting rattled and make a series of mistakes that compound's the situation.

He is still a young player mid to late early in his development.  

Hopefully he will continue to improve and if he does we will have a heavy duty decade long weapon in our roster.