Our Offensive Line

PrimeTime101

Good rams defense

or

Horrible line play

or

Both.

look there was so many missed blocks today on that line. i saw 2 double teams on darnold where one of the linemen didnt even try to pinch and had nothing to block.

Should we bring in a te with a hb to help block against good defense to at least chip and release?

Most of those missed blocks were attempted on Donald. I believe it when people say he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I think he may be the best on either side of the ball. Bottom line is that we ran well and the rest of the Rams DL weren't very effective. In the first 2 games, we didn't run well and the protection was so-so. Our DL is struggling even more despite all those FA signings. We need to be more aggressive about building in the trenches or that will become our achilles heel. We may get pushed around by more physical teams. How many times can Josh and our WR's bail us out?

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

They did fine in the run game. Decent in the screen game. They were fine in the first half pass blocking. There was a post that said Donald was moved over Winters in the second half. Not sure if that is true or not. Regardless Donald was unstoppable in the second half. Daboll should have adjusted and at least kept a back or TE in to block. Even with Brown out Diggs, Beasley, and Davis were consistently open. 

It will be interesting to see who starts next week. Spain is a better pass blocker than run blocker and I suspect the game plan was to run on LA. Vegas just gave up 250 yards on the ground. So I suspect they will start Ford at LG and Winters at RG at least one more time.

30 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Most of those missed blocks were attempted on Donald. I believe it when people say he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I think he may be the best on either side of the ball. Bottom line is that we ran well and the rest of the Rams DL weren't very effective. In the first 2 games, we didn't run well and the protection was so-so. Our DL is struggling even more despite all those FA signings. We need to be more aggressive about building in the trenches or that will become our achilles heel. We may get pushed around by more physical teams. How many times can Josh and our WR's bail us out?

a missed black is a missed block no matter who its against.. double teams turned into single teams or worse

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Good rams defense

or

Horrible line play

or

Both.

look there was so many missed blocks today on that line. i saw 2 double teams on darnold where one of the linemen didnt even try to pinch and had nothing to block.

Should we bring in a te with a hb to help block against good defense to at least chip and release?

Today??😳 We played today? On Tuesday morning at 3a.m.? 

I knew we had many different time starts this season but I guess all the Covid concerns took away my schedule following. 

As for last Sunday’s game, there were far more passing plays Allen could have eaten a sammich while waiting for a receiver to break open, than running for his life back there. It has something to do with his 70% completions, 317 yards passing and 4 TD passes. 

Does LA have a true superstar, HOFer playing at the top of his game on their DL who wrecks every game he plays in? Yes. 

Can we still beat that team? 

Scoreboard says Yes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Today??😳 We played today? On Tuesday morning at 3a.m.? 

I knew we had many different time starts this season but I guess all the Covid concerns took away my schedule following. 

As for last Sunday’s game, there were far more passing plays Allen could have eaten a sammich while waiting for a receiver to break open, than running for his life back there. It has something to do with his 70% completions, 317 yards passing and 4 TD passes. 

Does LA have a true superstar, HOFer playing at the top of his game on their DL who wrecks every game he plays in? Yes. 

Can we still beat that team? 

Scoreboard says Yes.

LAR has two top notch players on defense, and no one else whose name I can even remember.  The Bills' approach has been to get very good players across the board, with a few nearly at the top of the league for their position, and to win with teamwork and a cohesive plan.  We're going to have to break that rule in a few years in order to pay Allen, Edmunds (see what I did there, shoe customers?), Diggs, and maybe Oliver.  For now, though, having no really weak players out there is better than having a couple of great players and nine JAGs.

• Like (+1) 1

Aaron Donald is a a game wrecker for opposing offenses. He will break through your OL, no matter who you have in front of him, and abuse your QB right in front of you. Thankfully we have a QB with solid awareness and great escape ability in the pocket.

How's this for a reversal from the past years under McD, current Buffalo Bills offense #3 in points, #4 in yards...

Buffalo defense #16 in points allowed, #21in yards allowed...#27 in passing yards allowed, WTH?

The Bills line mostly giving Josh time to read a book while looking over the field. Not a point of concern atm. Although, notice how he reads the field quickly at times and makes a very quick decision to throw frozen ropes. Shades of AR! 

YardsPerPass on Twitter did a really good breakdown on what happened to the offensive line.  

We were pretty obviously sliding protection to Donald's side, so the Rams brought extra rushers from other side, leaving a free rusher.  What is crazy is that a free rusher is the better outcome when compared with lining Donald up 1-1 vs any of our offensive lineman. 

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Good rams defense

or

Horrible line play

or

Both.

Sunday's game certainly exposed O line weaknesses.  Now learn from it, improve and be better tomorrow.

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Good rams defense

or

Horrible line play

or

Both.

Ford got his ass kicked in the passing game.  Morse helped him here and there and sometimes that still wasn't enough.  

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

YardsPerPass on Twitter did a really good breakdown on what happened to the offensive line.  

We were pretty obviously sliding protection to Donald's side, so the Rams brought extra rushers from other side, leaving a free rusher.  What is crazy is that a free rusher is the better outcome when compared with lining Donald up 1-1 vs any of our offensive lineman. 

Allen is pretty good at shaking that free rusher.  This worked quite a few times as allen was able to maneuver around and buy time.  

The O-line broke down when Donald just started to go into Super Sayan mode half way through the third quarter and in the 4th quarter. But in the first half and half of the third quarter the O-line was playing well against a pretty good D-line. Both pass protection and run blocking. But Donald is just a special beast that took over the game and nearly turned it around for the Rams defensively. 

• Like (+1) 1

Winters first game starting, Ford's first game at LG...

Best DLineman (and probably overall Player) in the NFL...

Donald gets paid a lot of money to make plays. He is always capable of taking a game over. And that's exactly what he did in the 2nd half when the other option was letting his team get got like little *****.

Something for coaches to work on, but this isn't unexpected given our opponent.

Got the win and we're on to Las Vegas.

• Like (+1) 1

i wouldnt categorize our oline play as "horrible". The Rams D is better than they probably get credit for. Aaron Donald is a BEAST & one of the best defensive players to ever play the game. I thought overall we did a pretty good job.

Allen's Time to Throw stat on the day? 3.37 seconds, 2nd most time to throw in the NFL to Russell Wilson.

I'd say thats not "horrible' by any means

image.png.cc4090647ce99dca63a3cc754ded9a55.png

Edited by brianthomas

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

They owe the defense for at least one season :)