The defense is missing an emotional leader

Sharky7337

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

He pissed off the officials several years ago about being held and now he can't get a call even with  obvious holding.

Not even several years ago: at least as of last season, he was still at it sometimes.  He's just a fireball on the field.  I suppose he can't help it.

3 hours ago, LB48 said:

Agreed.  Edmunds is NOT a leader and he's calling the Defensive plays for a lot of veterans. 

I don't have that impression (that Edmunds is not a leader)

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From things McDermott has said, the Captain vote, and his demeanor, Dr. Poyer appears to be stepping up into that leadership role.

But whoever it is, they need to light the fires.

I think the team may also need to be "playing itself into condition" a bit.  I'm sure they're professionals and have been meticulous in their off-season conditioning as well as during training camp, but that's just not the same intensity and duration as game time.  The Rams were doing a lot of no-huddle or hurry-up offense.  I could be way off base but I've always thought playing defense must be more tiring than offense.  The offense is setting the pace.  The defense has to react to it.

i think the Rams’ comeback was a combination of members of the defense being gassed and not 100% healthy as well. I think that is much more probable than fans watching on TV cooking up theories claiming that losing Lorenzo Alexander has somehow made members of this defense lose their competitiveness - sorry I don’t think these guys have such a fragile sense of professional pride, especially when coached by McDermott and his crew.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not even several years ago: at least as of last season, he was still at it sometimes.  He's just a fireball on the field.  I suppose he can't help it.

I mean he was technically a part of a ref getting fired, I mean the guy called him something can't remember exactly maybe a B word, but I don't think the rest care.

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can see that the defense isn't playing as well this year so far as last year.  But I don't see players missing assignments as much as I see players getting beat.  That's a talent problem more than a leadership problem.  

Maybe.  It can be a collision between a talent problem and a scheme problem - are the best defensive calls being made to put the players we have in the best position to succeed?

I think that's a fair question, when the D is playing shutdown in the first half and the start of the 3Q, then things go to *****.  But as @JoPoy88 points out, that same observation can also be explained by the D getting gassed by the pace and the TOP and by injuries wearing down.

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i think the Rams’ comeback was a combination of members of the defense being gassed and not 100% healthy as well. I think that is much more probable than fans watching on TV cooking up theories claiming that losing Lorenzo Alexander has somehow made members of this defense lose their competitiveness - sorry I don’t think these guys have such a fragile sense of professional pride, especially when coached by McDermott and his crew.

Agreed.  I loved me some Lorax.  I double loved me some Kyle.  But I don't believe there's such a big leadership void. 

There are many ways of being a leader of men.  It doesn't all have to be firey speeches and brimstone.

I would feel better somewhat if it's gassed/not 100% (though I worry Edmunds has something going down with his shoulder that will linger all season, like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch).  I haven't watched the all-22 yet.  My heart can't stand it.  If the same defensive schemes were being run against the same plays in the second half as were effective in the first half, but not executed as well, that's fixable. 

My worry is that the opponent adjusts and finds weaknesses and we're too slow to adjust back sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe.  It can be a collision between a talent problem and a scheme problem - are the best defensive calls being made to put the players we have in the best position to succeed?

I think that's a fair question, when the D is playing shutdown in the first half and the start of the 3Q, then things go to *****.

I watched Chris Simms break down the game and the way he described what McVay was doing seemed specifically designed to ***** up our gap sound defense. He also noted that we didn't actually stop them very well in the 1st half either which is why they didn't punt.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think Kiko is looking for work.

🤣

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah Edmunds may pan out as a good LB but there's no way he develops as an emotional /  vocal leader. That's not gonna happen. We don't have one now and hopefully that changes down the road. 

Can he even buy the guys a beer yet??

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Jerry Hughes says hi...

nah..

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From things McDermott has said, the Captain vote, and his demeanor, Dr. Poyer appears to be stepping up into that leadership role.

But whoever it is, according to Coach Frazier the team may need to light the fires and hold each other's feet to them with the accountability.  Yeah, the offense put them in a tough spot with the phony INT and the horsecollar turnover, but the offense also put them in the sweet spot of a 28 point lead that got squandered.  That ain't good.  (According to me, I wonder if Coach Frazier might need an accountability mirror.  I don't know what's said privately of course, but his pressers come across to me as "everybody's fault but mine")

I think the team may be "playing itself into condition" a bit.  I'm sure they're professionals and have been meticulous in their off-season conditioning as well as during training camp, but that's just not the same intensity and duration as game time.  The Rams were doing a lot of no-huddle or hurry-up offense.  I could be way off base but I've always thought playing defense must be more tiring than offense.  The offense is setting the pace.  The defense has to react to it.

I think this is what the OP is alluding to.

Stand strong, OP. That “It” personality (LoAl/Kyle) IS missing. Many hoped/thought it might be Horrible Harry, but the serious injury and slow start have dampened enthusiasm for him.

🤔 maybe they could -idk, put FANS IN THE STANDS?? just a thought..

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

(Edmunds) Can he even buy the guys a beer yet??

Yes.  He could last season.  He's 22.

Stand strong, OP. That “It” personality (LoAl/Kyle) IS missing. Many hoped/thought it might be Horrible Harry, but the serious injury and slow start have dampened enthusiasm for him.

What does this mean?  I mean, fan enthusiasm doesn't have a lot to do with team leadership on the field.

I don't belong to the school that says the firey "It" personality is the only way to lead. 

maybe they could -idk, put FANS IN THE STANDS?? just a thought..

tieing threads together....

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I watched Chris Simms break down the game and the way he described what McVay was doing seemed specifically designed to ***** up our gap sound defense. He also noted that we didn't actually stop them very well in the 1st half either which is why they didn't punt.

I mean, the Rams pretty much have a juggernaut offense.  It probably isn't reasonable to expect us to strangle them.  And McD has always run a defense designed to keep plays in front of them, not give up the big play, bend don't break. 

I guess Simms can point that out, but we did hold like a 50% edge in TOP (12 min to 18 min), and ya gotta think the D has something to do with that.  Getting forced back to a 53 yd field goal which they missed by two successive sacks, sounds like a stop to me.  Same with an INT and a turnover on downs (to start the 2nd half).  The Rams basically got in one decent drive the first half, which was held to a FG.

But that's exactly my point of concern, that McVay managed to scheme something that worked and we couldn't adjust to it.  Full disclosure, I have NOT watched the all-22 yet.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  He could last season.  He's 22.

What does this mean?  I mean, fan enthusiasm doesn't have a lot to do with team leadership on the field.

I don't belong to the school that says the firey "It" personality is the only way to lead. 

tieing threads together....

It means exactly what it says, whether you subscribe or not. From Process inception. McD’s Defense has had ‘that guy’ Coach loves and has say a few words to team before/after big games. Kyle & Lorenzo specifically-and the proof had been in the pudding. This season, not so much and the overall Defensive play? Not so much..

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, the Rams pretty much have a juggernaut offense.  It probably isn't reasonable to expect us to strangle them.  And McD has always run a defense designed to keep plays in front of them, not give up the big play, bend don't break. 

I guess Simms can point that out, but we did hold like a 50% edge in TOP (12 min to 18 min), and ya gotta think the D has something to do with that.  Getting forced back to a 53 yd field goal by two successive sacks sounds like a stop to me.  Same with an INT and a turnover on downs (to start the 2nd half).  The Rams basically got in one decent drive the first half, which was held to a FG.

But that's exactly my point of concern, that McVay managed to scheme something that worked and we couldn't adjust to it.  Full disclosure, I have NOT watched the all-22 yet.

They also missed a FG but yeah I don't really completely agree with his opinion of the 1st half but I would say the Rams were moving the football on us fairly well. I just liked what he said about McVay using motions to send unexpected blockers creating new gaps.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Don't think so. Edmunds is the leader. He's not the fire and brimstone leader that fans love, but he's a young and emerging leader, as is Tre.

No way to know from the outside but that is what the team is saying, and there's no reason to doubt them. We also don't know how the new guys are fitting in, guys like Addison, Norman and Butler.

Milano and Edmunds are the two guys on this defense - outside Tre - who are most needed at 100%, though Oliver is headed in that direction. And they aren't at 100%, nor is Oliver. And as people said above, they were terrific till one of the better offensive schemers in the league got well into the third quarter. Way way too early to worry yet, and no reason to suppose leadership is the problem even if there indeed is a problem.

I'm excited to get Norman back next week. Even if he doesn't have much playing time, he's a respected Vet that seems All In this year and will add some fire to the Defense. 

They played awful in 1 half (LA) , played bad in 1 half (Mia) and played very good in 8 quarters. 

Gotta be more consistent.  

Confident McDermott will right the ship.

Alot of defenses seem to be struggling. 

Hughes

Tre

Tre

Hyde

Poyer

Addison 

Milano

Leadership should not be an issue.  At all.

I was so mad about the D yesterday I didn't want to comment on them....24 hour rule.  

What I'm going to hope is the issue is the D line takes as much time as the O line to gel.  And we lost 2 key pieces and essentially have 3 or 4 new ones.  So we're figuring it out.  

It's a concern.  But the Rams O line is legit (their whole O is) and I'm chalking Miami up to the heat. 

If we get manhandled by Vegas we got a problem.  

On a scale of 0 (not at all) to 5 (sign Snacks and trade for anyone) I'm about at a 2.5 right now.  

37 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It means exactly what it says, whether you subscribe or not. From Process inception. McD’s Defense has had ‘that guy’ Coach loves and has say a few words to team before/after big games. Kyle & Lorenzo specifically-and the proof had been in the pudding. This season, not so much and the overall Defensive play? Not so much..

The words I'm asking about are "have dampened enthusiasm for him"

What does that mean?  Whose enthusiasm for him? 

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They also missed a FG but yeah I don't really completely agree with his opinion of the 1st half but I would say the Rams were moving the football on us fairly well. I just liked what he said about McVay using motions to send unexpected blockers creating new gaps.

That's what I meant - after they were forced back 10 yds to 53 yd FG they missed it.  I'll edit.

Interesting point about the unexpected blockers.  I'll have to pay specific attention to that when I watch the all-22.  Thanks.

At the end of the game, the point about the Rams moving the football is unarguable.  I was a bit shocked to see that the Rams finished the game with 103 more yards than we had.  478 yds.  Yikes and Yowza.   But to your point (or Simms point), they had 147 of those yards in the first half vs 250 yds for us.  It's not smothered, but it's kept to a low simmer.

4 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

first half they did a good job on gap responsibility thought they started playing a bit too aggressive in the third and stopped play 1/11th at some key spots.  Gap integrity got the best of them and it was shocking to see so many plays with players out of position

It's still early in the season plenty of time for the Defense to amend itself.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The words I'm asking about are "have dampened enthusiasm for him"

What does that mean?  Whose enthusiasm for him? 

That's what I meant - after they were forced back 10 yds to 53 yd FG they missed.  I'll edit.

Interesting point about the unexpected blockers.  I'll have to pay specific attention to that when I watch the all-22.  Thanks.

What are you, a frustrated English Major? Horrible Harry. The goofy, high spirited rookie DT who attached himself to the outgoing heart & soul of Buffalo sports in KW’ swan song season. Bringing bouquets of flowers to his door, calling or texting him through the night, being his heir apparent to the DT room. Quickly became a local hero with numerous charitable contributions and the biggest team connection to Viva Los Bills during Poncho’s untimely decline. 

-before I go any further, are you getting what this means so far? I’d really prefer to move on to other topics. Plenty of snark to disperse here tonight.

Any way, HE was figuring into taking the Defensive rah-rah mantle over from Kyle and Mo. He may still, but he’s been invisible so far this undefeated season with the defense certainly not up to standard. Harry’s performance to date is not encouraging. This fan, like the OP, feels there’s something intangible missing besides Star’s Opt Out that’s contributing to a lesser effort from our perennial high Defensive perch.

If this is still inefficient to answer your question, I give up.🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What are you, a frustrated English Major? Horrible Harry. The goofy, high spirited rookie DT who attached himself to the outgoing heart & soul of Buffalo sports in KW’ swan song season. Bringing bouquets of flowers to his door, calling or texting him through the night, being his heir apparent to the DT room. Quickly became a local hero with numerous charitable contributions and the biggest team connection to Viva Los Bills during Poncho’s untimely decline. 

-before I go any further, are you getting what this means so far? I’d really prefer to move on to other topics. Plenty of snark to disperse here tonight.

So by "dampened enthusiasm for him" you mean in the Bills PR department which sets up the texts hearts and flowers cute PR films, and with fans who made him a local hero?

Because none of that says a thing about the internal team leadership dynamics or in the locker room, or about the coaches enthusiasm for Horrible Harry.