The defense is missing an emotional leader

Sharky7337

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or you could just watch the game.  Who’s the obvious leader on the field yesterday?

Ya I watched the game. I didn't see one.

Or maybe he was too busy being out of place under a lineman lol

So your telling me that even though the players themselves mentioned lorax as the motivator that his loss has left no void. 

Ok.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You must have had a mic on the field, listening to what the players were saying to each other.  How did you get such inside access to the inner workings at OBD?

Not hard to hear everyone in the game these days with no crowd there champ.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or you could just watch the game.  Who’s the obvious leader on the field yesterday?

How can we know that?  Even with Covid-empty stadiums, we can't hear what players are saying to each other on the field, on the sidelines, in the locker room.  

My sense of player leadership always comes from what the players themselves are saying because they actually know what's going on.  And I just haven't heard enough about the leadership dynamic this year from the players to confidently form an opinion.  

I can see that the defense isn't playing as well this year so far as last year.  But I don't see players missing assignments as much as I see players getting beat.  That's a talent problem more than a leadership problem.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm trying to help you out bud.  You sound absolutely ridiculous

Thanks!

You can hear every player talking in the games right now though practically. Every adjustment and audible from the QB etc.

I'm not sure who sounds ridiculous more here to even debate that one fact.

I mean even on the Monday night broadcast they said it...... how they will miss being able to hear everything .....

Edited by Sharky7337

I really want to see Ed Oliver play DE in some packages.... 4.7 40 yard dash, 7.1 3cone.... I think he’s quick enough to set the edge, bull rush, add a little more beef to the DLine...

Just throwing out ideas to keep offenses guessing and maybe help the run defense. 

Bring in Damon Harrison for some beef... multiple teams are looking into him as we speak.

front 4 Heavy package....( I mean how fast is Murphy? Probably slower than Oliver theses days.)

Ed.... VButler....Snacks.... Hughes

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I really want to see Ed Oliver play DE in some packages.... 4.7 40 yard dash, 7.1 3cone.... I think he’s quick enough to set the edge, bull rush, add a little more beef to the DLine...

Just throwing out ideas to keep offenses guessing and maybe help the run defense. 

I did like what the ravens attempted to do with simulated pressures and the way they mixed up the rushers.

I'm not sure that works for us - but may be something along those lines.

Edited by Sharky7337

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Nice idea.  Hughes seems to have lost a step at DE

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LB48 said:

Ya and it seems like he has been mugged a lot too with no calls which seems to be not an uncommon thing for him to not get flags for.

It really is amazing what we got out of Hughes these years after he was basically considered bust territory by the colts.

Edited by Sharky7337

3 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Ya and it seems like he has been mugged a lot to with no calls which seems to be not an uncommon thing for him to not get flags for.

He pissed off the officials several years ago about being held and now he can't get a call even with  obvious holding.

Edited by LB48
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I just think if occasionally you put him out there.... it get the OT thinking “shoot, what’s this guy about”... then Ed surprises him cause he’s quicker than he looks. But obviously get him in there on 1 downs or whatever analytics say it’s more possible to run... tendencies. 

I mean, watch his pro day, college highlights. The guy is quick in space. Is he an edge rusher? No but could he collapse a pocket or bull rush a OT? I think so.... you could even slant him inside off the edge and bring a blitz to set the edge.... 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I usually hate the idea of having an older vet around to steal playing time from a younger athlete. But veteran leadership might go a long way in helping this defense right now. Especially at LB. The defense visibly lacks intensity.

So true.  All the F/A pick-ups along the DL and at LB were never even Pro-Bowl 'second tier' selections and have shown no leadership.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think the role is shared by hyde, edmunds and hughes. I would’t know how to determine how obvious it is watching from afar on TV.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I love how now that we’ve won some games everyone is shocked that we don’t have all-pro’s at every position and aren’t the greatest team in the NFL.

Trust. The. Process.

This is not a one season team. We don’t need to sign a bunch of expensive vets who don’t want to be in Buffalo. Draft and re-sign our guys.

Win now or you may not get another chance

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Thanks!

You can hear every player talking in the games right now though practically. Every adjustment and audible from the QB etc.

I'm not sure who sounds ridiculous more here to even debate that one fact.

I mean even on the Monday night broadcast they said it...... how they will miss being able to hear everything .....

The announcers don’t hear the network TV pumped in fake crowd noise that we do. They  just hear the allowed stadium noise. The TV fake noise is irritating and so loud sometimes I can’t hardly hear the announcers. Even my wife mentioned that. So I don’t know how you are able to hear what the defensive players are saying. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

I think the role is shared by hyde, edmunds and hughes. I would’t know how to determine how obvious it is watching from afar on TV.

From things McDermott has said, the Captain vote, and his demeanor, Dr. Poyer appears to be stepping up into that leadership role.

But whoever it is, according to Coach Frazier the team may need to light the fires and hold each other's feet to them with the accountability.  Yeah, the offense put them in a tough spot with the phony INT and the horsecollar turnover, but the offense also put them in the sweet spot of a 28 point lead that got squandered.  That ain't good.  (According to me, I wonder if Coach Frazier might need an accountability mirror.  I don't know what's said privately of course, but his pressers come across to me as "everybody's fault but mine")

I think the team may be "playing itself into condition" a bit.  I'm sure they're professionals and have been meticulous in their off-season conditioning as well as during training camp, but that's just not the same intensity and duration as game time.  The Rams were doing a lot of no-huddle or hurry-up offense.  I could be way off base but I've always thought playing defense must be more tiring than offense.  The offense is setting the pace.  The defense has to react to it.

• Like (+1) 3