The defense is missing an emotional leader

Sharky7337

It was one game. But I think we are seeing the void left by the departures of Kyle and Lorenzo. 

Edmunds does not seem to be a leader of men type and is young. Milano has fire but im not sure he fits the bill either.

I'm not saying there is no leadership at all - just maybe less of it.

We are missing some playmakers up front and we don't seem to have that veteran guy pumping them up.

They may turn out to be awesome and that opponent has a great offense. But I think next year the defense will be re-upped to a certain degree. Really I think we need to address our lines here or there and a linebacker/ tight end. 

Seeing KC who got better on defense and has a dynamic offense makes this a tough sledding this year. 

Not to mention New England 

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love how now that we’ve won some games everyone is shocked that we don’t have all-pro’s at every position and aren’t the greatest team in the NFL.

Trust. The. Process.

This is not a one season team. We don’t need to sign a bunch of expensive vets who don’t want to be in Buffalo. Draft and re-sign our guys.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I love how now that we’ve won some games everyone is shocked that we don’t have all-pro’s at every position and aren’t the greatest team in the NFL.

Trust. The. Process.

This is not a one season team. We don’t need to sign a bunch of expensive vets who don’t want to be in Buffalo. Draft and re-sign our guys.

That isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is i do not think we will see the same defensive strength we saw last year out of this team.

Edited by Sharky7337

22 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

It was one game. But I think we are seeing the void left by the departures of Kyle and Lorenzo. 

Edmunds does not seem to be a leader of men type and is young. Milano has fire but im not sure he fits the bill either.

We are missing some playmakers up front and we don't seem to have that veteran guy pumping them up.

They may turn out to be awesome and that opponent has a great offense. But I think next year the defense will be re-upped to a certain degree. Really I think we need to address our lines here or there and a linebacker/ tight end. 

Seeing KC who got better on defense and has a dynamic offense makes this a tough sledding this year. 

As a fan, I have little idea what goes on in the video/meeting rooms, on the sideline, on the playing field, or in the locker room.  

You may be right about a lack of leadership.  But we can only speculate.  

• Like (+1) 1

first half they did a good job on gap responsibility thought they started playing a bit too aggressive in the third and stopped play 1/11th at some key spots.  Gap integrity got the best of them and it was shocking to see so many plays with players out of position

It's still early in the season plenty of time for the Defense to amend itself.

Don't think so. Edmunds is the leader. He's not the fire and brimstone leader that fans love, but he's a young and emerging leader, as is Tre.

No way to know from the outside but that is what the team is saying, and there's no reason to doubt them. We also don't know how the new guys are fitting in, guys like Addison, Norman and Butler.

Milano and Edmunds are the two guys on this defense - outside Tre - who are most needed at 100%, though Oliver is headed in that direction. And they aren't at 100%, nor is Oliver. And as people said above, they were terrific till one of the better offensive schemers in the league got well into the third quarter. Way way too early to worry yet, and no reason to suppose leadership is the problem even if there indeed is a problem.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Jerry is now that guy.  

I’m not quite sure that’s why they aren’t playing well

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Luckily for the team, you have absolutely no idea about the internal locker room dynamic or on-field leadership responsibilities so what you are engaging in is pure, baseless speculation and completely useless.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Luckily for the team, you have absolutely no idea about the internal locker room dynamic or on-field leadership responsibilities so what you are engaging in is pure, baseless speculation and completely useless.

Its not hard to get a feeling for someone's personality from pressers and interviews and seeing them caught out of position in games. You cannot lead unless you also.do so by example.

It is an opinion of course. Thats what most forum posts are.

Go listen to the post game interview with Edmunds. You're telling me he sounds like a leader?

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Sharky7337 said:

Its not hard to get a feeling for someone's personality from pressers and interviews and seeing them caught out of position.

It is an opinion of course. Thats what most forum posts are.

Agreed.  Edmunds is NOT a leader and he's calling the Defensive plays for a lot of veterans. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Agreed.  Edmunds is NOT a leader and he's calling the Defensive plays for a lot of veterans. 

Defensive coordinator calls plays. So he plays telephone.

He helps make adjustments but so does secondary amongst each other.

Its my take and I expect thay not everyone agrees. But forums are to discuss so that's usually why people post. 

But people who joined  many years after me and wanna be snarky about it go ahead.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I don't think he HAS the capabilities to make adjustments.  He looked like a skinny kid trying to play MLB yesterday. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah Edmunds may pan out as a good LB but there's no way he develops as an emotional /  vocal leader. That's not gonna happen. We don't have one now and hopefully that changes down the road. 

And I mean I do think they play for each other so there is that and its early and one game that was kinda a tough match.

However that is kinda what I think too.

8 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Its my take and I expect thay not everyone agrees. But forums are to discuss so that's usually why people post. 

But people who joined  many years after me and wanna be snarky about it go ahead.

Just stop.  You have zero clue what is going on.  

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Or you could just watch the game.  Who’s the obvious leader on the field yesterday?