Clearly, Kroft should start at tight end now

Mister Defense

If they are healthy they both should play. I think Kroft had a great game and is the hot hand at the position right now. Knox has brought in 3 of 6 targets for 0 tds 1 fd and lost a fumble. Kroft has caught 4 of 5 targets for 2 tds 3 fds and 0 fumbles. It was 1 good game but he is the more reliable receiver right now imo.

• Like (+1) 1

This fanbase has been infatuated with the tight end position since Pete Metzelaars.  There is generally like 5-6 game changer TEs in the league. And even then they rarely win Super Bowls. Having a solid TE or two is fine.  It’s a luxury unless the QB is a rookie or completely had their confidence shattered and needs a security blanket. 

Our Qb is growing. He now has 3 security blankets in Diggs, Smoke and Beasley. 

Give Kroft the start since he’s the hot hand. Don’t need the potential this and that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

If they are healthy they both should play. I think Kroft had a great game and is the hot hand at the position right now. Knox has brought in 3 of 6 targets for 0 tds 1 fd and lost a fumble. Kroft has caught 4 of 5 targets for 2 tds 3 fds and 0 fumbles. It was 1 good game but he is the more reliable receiver right now imo.

*5/5 targets.  

9 hours ago, batmanfreek said:

This fanbase has been infatuated with the tight end position since Pete Metzelaars.  There is generally like 5-6 game changer TEs in the league. And even then they rarely win Super Bowls. Having a solid TE or two is fine.  It’s a luxury unless the QB is a rookie or completely had their confidence shattered and needs a security blanket. 

Our Qb is growing. He now has 3 security blankets in Diggs, Smoke and Beasley. 

Give Kroft the start since he’s the hot hand. Don’t need the potential this and that. 

So Gronk was a luxury for Brady?  Kelce is a luxury?  Kittle is a luxury that SF broke the bank for?  

9 hours ago, Beast said:

I suspect Kroft having a decent game against the Rams will motivate Knox when he gets back in the lineup. 

He needs more motivation?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He needs more motivation?

For a young guy to see a vet come in and have a good game, yeah, fear of losing playing time should be great motivation.

Edited by Beast

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

How did Kroft go from injury prone horrible F/A signing to, he clearly should start over Knox...after 1 game?

The what have you done for me lately crowd, loves this way of thinking.

No, he went from "guy who is always hurt and never gets on the field" to "guy who is our only established pass catcher at TE who is finally healthy enough to practice and play."

It's the Knox love that got a little out of control. I'm still impressed with his physical abilities, but he's still raw. Let's just be glad that if Knox gets healthy and (the big if) if Kroft stays healthy, we're finally at a good place at the TE position. Actually even average or potentially better than average. It's been a while ... maybe (charitably) 2-3 seasons of Charles Clay in the last quarter century? Who am I forgetting about? I don't mean Scott Chandler.

I don't subscribe, but maybe someone who does can help me with the answer: https://theathletic.com/1755334/2020/04/17/bills-tight-ends-run-headlong-into-a-60-season-statistical-barrier/

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

For a young guy to see a vet come in and have a good game, yeah, fear of losing playing time should be great motivation.

If a young guy who was drafted as a marginal receiver and got a starting job as a rookie in a year highlighted by a lot of dropped passes needs even more motivation to play better, than he shouldn't be starting to begin with.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If a young guy who was drafted as a marginal receiver and got a starting job as a rookie in a year highlighted by a lot of dropped passes needs even more motivation to play better, than he shouldn't be starting to begin with.

Right, because competition is never good. Glad you taught me that.

On 9/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, billsfan_34 said:

We are in better shape at tight end than we have been in some time- I am pleased where we are heading at the position.

This! We might not have a superstar at that position but both TE are upgrades compared to those during the whole drought!

On 9/28/2020 at 8:49 PM, wvbillsfan said:

I know I feel more confident with Kroft to make the easy normal routine catch. 
But Knox always makes those wow he caught that plays. 

There is room for both

I had that thought. 

I think it's possible Knox would have maintained or established possession on the catch that was ruled an INT.  That seems to be his best strength (pun intended), to make those contested catches with the guy's hands in his face or grabbing for the ball.

I'm not sure he would have made the catch in the endzone.  He's missed on similar DOD, though missing on one catch does make him fiercer about the next.

Kroft is deceptively good. And I say deceptive because I don't think defenses feel the need to specifically focus on him. Knox can be that type of player, though. He's a more of a mismatch on linebackers than Kroft. He's still developing. I won't write him off yet. And if he and Kroft can both play at a high level then that's a great problem for the Bills to have. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love Knox's potential.  Some of those catches last year were amazing, and the highlight angry runs are memorable.

But for this team I agree with the OP, lets keep the consistent reliable threat in there.  For instance I would rather have 2 safe, confident, 8 yard move the chain catches, over the highlight 16 yard angry run and the easy drop.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, as of our current situation,  Kroft is certainly the defacto starting TE, and likely will be for a while, 5 for 5 and two TDs has made the decision pretty darn easy, Knox is going to have to re-earn the starting role as the current situation stands, 

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t use both Kroft and Knox, but Kroft has indeed taken advantage of his opportunities. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

How did Kroft go from injury prone horrible F/A signing to, he clearly should start over Knox...after 1 game?

I never thought that, but instead think that Dabol sometimes struggles to put the right guy in there--and Kroft has been injured as well.

The reasons I, and others, think Kroft should start are the reasons I state in the OP and that others have stated in this thread--Kroft was very reliable in all phases of the game. Yes, one game, but the fact that Knox has not shown that (in his many games as the starter) and Kroft showed it immediately is significant. 

Knox can very well become a great tight end--and now, if we are right, with a very solid tight end starting in front of him, I think that is more likely now as well.  I also think Knox will make his sure of big plays this year.

With Singletary and Kroft starting consistently (and getting the vast majority of snaps), as they did last week, the Bills are a better team. The Bills found that out last week in a game they may have lost if that was not the case.

Edited by Mister Defense

11 hours ago, dneveu said:

*5/5 targets.  

nfl, espn, pro football reference, and pff all say 4 rec 5 trgts, who says 5 for 5?

Either way I think he is a more reliable receiver right now.

Edited by Turk71

11 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

Because he is finally healthy, catching his targets and hasn't fumbled the ball. Nobody is writing Knox off that I know of, Kroft is just the hot hand and more reliable at the moment.