Clearly, Kroft should start at tight end now

Mister Defense

Not happy to be without Knox and Moss this past Sunday, but I did think it may be a blessing in disguise-. I still think a weakness of Dabol's sometimes is his choice of who to play, and I realized Singletary would now be the main running back, without Moss.  And Kroft was an unexpected surprise, but should not have been to Dabol.

We saw that last year with way too many touches by Gore, not enough by Singletary, and almost none by Yeldon, although he was clearly the better option down the stretch.

And this year, I had been frustrated by the running back by committee the first two games, as a back like Singletary gets better and better as a game progresses.  He runs smart and so learns in each game as he sees what the defense is doing.  He is the number one back, but wasn't given a real chance to shine until this week, when Moss was out. Of course on Sunday, he was the back we were expecting, with over 5 yards a carry and lots of important catches as well.

Losing Knox and Moss this past week will make the Bills stronger down the stretch, in my view, and hopefully help Dabol to look at his players more objectively in the future. It may be his biggest weakness as a coordinator.

Edited by Mister Defense

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I thought that was the Klingon (Christopher Plummer) from Star Trek 6.  👏😂🤣🏋️♂️

I just quoted from Star Trek VI in a thread with friends (albeit non-star trek fans)...and look at you bring it up....

MGK, may you live to be a thousand years old, my friend, and have an unlimited supply of your favorite candy, for free, forever.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I think we have have been pre-conditioned that are TE Corps sucks- but that area has improved drastically- elite, no- on the upswing, yes 😊

Who cares? Spread the ball around. Look at KC - just rack up yards/points as a collective whole. This isn’t fantasy football lol

You're right there, it's not fantasy football, so you don't throw away promising draft picks after two seasons to sit him.  You need to give them time to develop.  Granted if he's a complete failure that's different, but Knox is far from that.

They're already spreading the ball around, 8,8 ,7  that's how many receivers caught passes for the Bills in the past three games Since you mention KC they had 6,7,8 receivers catch balls so they are already spreading it around even more. What do you want to do, go two tight ends, who you sitting then instead, Brown, Beasley?  If you want more play makers, go with 4 WRs out there with Davis and sit the TE some.

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

TJ didn’t play a full season due to injury. I agree on CB and LB but would go DL over OL at this point and I would certainly consider taking a playmaking TE if one is available.

They've drafted 4 D lineman in past three seasons and signed one in FA who is only 26 as opposed to 3 O-line and they traded away one.

As I said above, think they have more than enough play makers on offense.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You're right there, it's not fantasy football, so you don't throw away promising draft picks after two seasons to sit him.  You need to give them time to develop.  Granted if he's a complete failure that's different, but Knox is far from that.

They're already spreading the ball around, 8,8 ,7  that's how many receivers caught passes for the Bills in the past three games Since you mention KC they had 6,7,8 receivers catch balls so they are already spreading it around even more. What do you want to do, go two tight ends, who you sitting then instead, Brown, Beasley?  If you want more play makers, go with 4 WRs out there with Davis and sit the TE some.

They've drafted 4 D lineman in past three seasons and signed one in FA who is only 26 as opposed to 3 O-line and they traded away one.

As I said above, think they have more than enough play makers on offense.

Great question! I think at times it depends on the situation. Maybe we need to be heavier, Brown needs a breat, and we sub with 2 TEs and run the ball or a little play action. Too many hypotheticals to give a true answer- our offense is playing good and I am happy about that 😊.

Kroft had 4 catches for 24 yards with 2 TDs on 5 targets against LAR.  That moves Knox down the depth chart?  1 game?

I wish there was a knee-jerk emoji to use here.  I'd go with Kroft's career, which shows 77 catches on 114 targets through 65 games.  

Knox has more potential and should not lose his position unless his level of play falls off.  Buffalo didn't invest a 3rd in him to push him behind Kroft after 1 game. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

Seems to me Daboll is using our tight ends in a hybrid/H-Back role.

We have also been going heavily on 4-WR sets during our first three games.

So while I'm seeing calls for the Bills to grab one of the NFL's top pass catching TEs (like Zach Ertz), you need to consider our current scheme and the way the Bills are using that position.  I'm not sure every pass catching TE is capable of filling the H-Back role.  And you need to question dishing out $8-10 million per year on a position that will likely be 4th-5th in the receiving pecking order.

You simply can't have Pro-Bowl talents at every position, and stay under the salary cap.  The Bills now have plenty of mismatches in the passing game, and I would rather save our cap space to keep someone like Matt Milano.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, HOUSE said:

I begged this board to start him quite a few times, begged !

somebody must have deleted my posts 😁

yes. I saw that happen. quite a few times.
 seems unfair at this point? now that you are correct. The humanity indeed.
Stubborn Coaches.
Just cant hear old fashioned good sense sometimes.

Thanks gosh Our Tyler Kroft pulled his britches up abraiding his testicles up and played football finally. Knox Kroft and Gilliam with L Smith punching faces is not a bad set of packages for Daboll.
Just wait till my boy Sweeney sees the lightswitch and flips it? ooowee !

Go Bills

23 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

100% agree. Posted that many times over the summer when many on here wanted to cut Kroft

yes i recall it well

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Kroft had 4 catches for 24 yards with 2 TDs on 5 targets against LAR.  That moves Knox down the depth chart?  1 game?

I wish there was a knee-jerk emoji to use here.  I'd go with Kroft's career, which shows 77 catches on 114 targets through 65 games.  

Knox has more potential and should not lose his position unless his level of play falls off.  Buffalo didn't invest a 3rd in him to push him behind Kroft after 1 game. 

Thank you.  Knox is a Stallion that is in the process of being tamed to win the Kentucky Derby.  Kroft is fine, a good redzone target and a reliable blocker, but not a Stallion.  Between the both of them I think we have a capable TE unit.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Seems to me Daboll is using our tight ends in a hybrid/H-Back role.

We have also been going heavily on 4-WR sets during our first three games.

So while I'm seeing calls for the Bills to grab one of the NFL's top pass catching TEs (like Zach Ertz), you need to consider our current scheme and the way the Bills are using that position.  I'm not sure every pass catching TE is capable of filling the H-Back role.  And you need to question dishing out $8-10 million per year on a position that will likely be 4th-5th in the receiving pecking order.

You simply can't have Pro-Bowl talents at every position, and stay under the salary cap.  The Bills now have plenty of mismatches in the passing game, and I would rather save our cap space to keep someone like Matt Milano.

BDaboll is making good use of this Offense. and he mixed it up a bit when he was using Smith vs Gilliam. Good range of talent/skill set for O coord to work with.
no elite and Kroft is pedestrian. But a solid pedestrian is still a threat. Team game wins the day anyways

you are insightful to look at scheme and personnel matchups 328

On 9/29/2020 at 5:13 PM, Augie said:

I love the upside that Knox offers. He has a higher ceiling, while Kroft is more “traditional” it seems. He just has to stay healthy. Knox will get his chances going forward. I am just happy to have multiple competent options. How many years/decades did we go without a really competent TE???

Imagine if we gave up on JA?