I know he still has to play tonight, but it is weirdly mind boggling to think that Lamar Jackson has only 1 more TD in his career than Josh

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe he misquoted this statistic:

Several commentors point out Flacco was the starter for 6 of those losses. So after tonight Jackson is 0-4 when trailing at halftime.

I hate to keep bringing up the Tyrod Taylor comparison because they are really not the same player but that is the kind of stat we had in the Tyrod Taylor days.

I'd be curious to know Allen's record in that situation. Pro Football Reference's game finder doesn't seem to have a tool to find out.

EDIT: Another commenter mentioned he is 0-5 when trailing at halftime if you include playoffs so that is probably what Steve Young was referring to.

McDermott is 20-1 when leading at halftime so Im assuming that 1 is the playoff loss and need to lob off 2017 and  the Barkley Jets game and that’s Allen’s record. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree the Ravens offense lacks talent on the outside, and I’ve defended Jackson from many of his critics on this board. It’s important to give credit where it’s due for the MVP season.  However, Last night opened my eyes a little bit, especially considering the Chiefs haven’t been known as having a stellar defense. I don’t care who you are, 97 yards passing isn’t acceptable from an NFL QB in this era. 

The Bills played Jackson pretty well last year despite the loss.  Other teams picked up what the Bills defense did to defend Jackson.  Titans beat Ravens pretty soundly in playoffs last year.  Jackson needs to improve his throwing or the league will catch up to him.  In some cases, I think we are seeing it.

Allen has improved his game each season since being drafted.  Jackson seems to rely on his talent alone.  I believe the Bills talent is now on par with the Ravens.  Should be fun watching Allen go against the rest of his QB class.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

And Jackson’s shortcomings were badly exposed in the MNF game today. A few more games like week 3 and we will be saying the 2018 QB redraft order should be 

1. Allen 2. Jackson 3. Mayfield 4. Darnold 5. Wrong Josh.

Cupcake schedule. They'll be in the playoffs this year and hell put up numbers. 

He had a few drops too. Biggest thing was... down 14 or whatever. He couldn't keep emotions in check. I feel like that's something you have to learn to be successful. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I turned on that new morning show that replaced golic on ESPN and Keyshawn was whining that Lamar just doesn’t have enough weapons 

I am not sure he has enough weapons for him to progress as a passer. There are QBs in the league who could win with Marquise Brown, Devin Duvernay and Mark Andrews (who had probably his worst game as a pro last night) and indeed Jackson won with a similar cast last season. But to do more than win and really develop him as a passer I think they need a proper well rounded receiver who can run the whole route tree. 

This is the catch 22 for the Ravens that they have been in since Lamar has started. Do they play the way to win now at the sacrifice of the longer term development? Or, do they prioritise his development over winning now? That decision affects how you build the offense.

• Like (+1) 2

When Lamar played in Buffalo last year my take away from him was he was a tremendous athlete, Ok passer.

If you are constantly winning, he will be lights out MVP. But if they get behind, it could get ugly. Last night showed that. Lamar needs to get more consistent throwing and needs to hit long passes and the sideline if he is going to continue to be successful 

Just like how mahomes is super charged by the andy ried O, jackson is the bullet in the Roman gun for baltimore.

he's got some obvious limitations as a passer, which is why he fell so far in the draft given his college resume.  he reminds me of a less talented mike vick,(easy to say given how ridiculous vick was) but he gives a crap so he has a much better chance to develop as a qb.

but the most important thing in all of this to me is the roman system.  it uses blocking and misdirection and quick hitting power plays to just beat down and overwhelm the D, also w harby as HC they are super aggressive and basically try to play advantage football, getting great match up, being in good down and distance, and getting first downs on 4th and short which just demoralizes the opponents and makes their O press vs a pretty sick baltimore d (well, sick except for this year as the whole nfl just isn't ready to play d yet it seems).

roman never had his teams set up to score quickly at the end of a half, to manufacture points quickly and flip momentum.  his teams do well getting a lead and just laying it on and strangling the opponent.  given the trends in the nfl, the way it looks like penalties are called or not called (offensive holding most of all) and the fact that there is lots of tape on jackson and that baltimore O, it seems like if you can win the rock paper scissors match up early and figure out what they want to do on O early and get them in a hole, they are just not dynamic enough to come back.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Honestly, you don't have to crap on one guy to lift another guy up.

Nailed it.

Lamar is an amazing QB. One poor game does nothing to dent that reality. He has shown us nothing to suggest he won't continue to improve.

Josh is quickly becoming an elite, top 5 QB, before our eyes. Just enjoy the ride!

Both guys are very early in writing their stories. I'd love to face off against Lamar or Mahomes in the AFC Championship year after year!

Edited by TheElectricCompany

13 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Nailed it.

Lamar is an amazing QB. One poor game does nothing to dent that reality. He has shown us nothing to suggest he won't continue to improve.

Josh is quickly becoming an elite, top 5 QB, before our eyes. Just enjoy the ride!

Both guys are very early in writing their stories. I'd love to face off against Lamar or Mahomes in the AFC Championship year after year!

It’s not one poor game, as a passer Lamar isn’t developing. Can you show me how he is?

I am not trying to take Lamar down, I am just saying,  I think he will be an easier QB to beat than some other ones like Mahomes. The announcers said it last night during the game, the Ravens don’t play well when coming from behind because they aren’t a passing team. Uh hello, we as Bills fans know that will take you only so far. 

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It’s not one poor game, as a passer Lamar isn’t developing. Can you show me how he is?

I am not trying to take Lamar down, I am just saying,  I think he will be an easier QB to beat than some other ones like Mahomes. The announcers said it last night during the game, the Ravens don’t play well when coming from behind because they aren’t a passing team. Uh hello, we as Bills fans know that will take you only so far. 

Mahomes leads the best offense we've seen since the 2007 Patriots, unless you are perfect, you aren't beating him.

As a passer Lamar isn't developing? You are ***** with me right?  He let the league in passing TDs last year.

32 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He definitely developed year 1 to year 2. So far I don't see another step from year 2 to year 3 but, unlike I suspect most here, I have watched all three Ravens games not just last night. He is a good Quarterback but he is still a Quarterback who requires development too. I think whatever the outcome for the Ravens this year, and people are mad to write them off after one game IMO, upgrading the weapons around Jackson has to be a priority in the offseason. They have to try and find him a true #1 receiver who runs the whole route tree and who Jackson can develop some level of comfort with on those throws outside the hashes that he really has struggled with. Hollywood isn't that. None of the tight ends are that.

The Ravens also, as I said in my comments in the game thread this morning, have to carry on running even when behind. The Rams showed Sunday that if you are good enough running the ball - and Baltimore are - then that is the way to go.

I suppose where I am getting to is some people got too high on Lamar last year (I know it was not a popular opinion but I personally thought Russell Wilson was the MVP of the league but there you go) and are getting too low on him after one bad game last night. He has been good weeks 1 and 2 - though admittedly I don't think Cleveland or Houston are up to much defensively.

• Like (+1) 1