I know he still has to play tonight, but it is weirdly mind boggling to think that Lamar Jackson has only 1 more TD in his career than Josh

Allen has 60 TDs in his career (40 passing, 19 rushing, 1 receiving) after seeing action in 32 games, but 18-13 (including playoffs) as a starter (which is bogus when you consider that the league considers yeoman duty in the Jets loss as a start, but whatever).

Jackson has 61 TDs in his career (49 passing, 12 rushing) after seeing action in 34 games, with an impressive 21-5 (including playoffs) as a starter.

Weird to think that Josh has started more, but Jackson made regular appearances at the start of his career when he wasn't starting.

I wrote about this before, but was inaccurate in my calculations.  If you go by starts (and you probably should) Jackson leads 2.26 TDs per game (26 games) to Josh's 1.93 (31 games).

However, if you go just by game appearances Josh has it at 1.875 TDs per game (32 games) to 1.74 TDs per game for Jackson (35 games).

Here's the thing, though, even with Josh's recent success I doubt anybody...ANYBODY, NOT EVEN THE NFL TALKING HEADS would tell you these two are close in overall TDs.

There are many rivalries coming up in Josh's future...I am looking forward to this one as much as I am to any of the others.

...as the ones with Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen are just SO disappointing!

🤣

GO BILLS!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love me some ALLEN. I really think we/everyone should stop trying to compare him to a QB that can't/won't throw out side the numbers.

Anyone else think Jackson is out of the league or at best a backup QB in 4 years?

• Like (+1) 2

It’s not going to be a popular take here because people are going to throw the MVP thing out there....but no way would I trade Allen for Lamar right now. And I was the furthest thing from an Allen guy in the beginning. He still gives me serious anxiety and I’m expecting to wake up from this dream any day now. But Allen has been incredible and the work he has put in is paying off. It’s impossible to not like this kid and I’m more then happy to be wrong about him. I know Lamar is the leagues 2nd biggest darling behind Mahomes...but I will take Allen over Lamar today and going forward. Jackson is very limited as a passer and the teams that can make him throw outside the numbers, are going to give the Ravens all they want. I’m very happy with who we have at QB. I think when it’s all said and done, the Bills might have gotten the best one in that draft.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Love me some ALLEN. I really think we/everyone should stop trying to compare him to a QB that can't/won't throw out side the numbers.

Anyone else think Jackson is out of the league or at best a backup QB in 4 years?

I said last year that by Year 5 he's a remnant of his mvp year. The true Brady / Manning duel will be Patrick & Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

We are extremely lucky to have him. 

Going into this season, I had zero worries about this team.  We have great wrs, more than solid RBs, a juggernautlike TE and an improving OL.  Our DL, as deep as any in the nfl, 2 budding stars at LB and imo, the next secondary in the league.  Not to mention our recently extended HC that has led our team to playoffs 2 of his 3 years and the Warlock Brandon Beane pulling through strings.......

None of those things mattered.  The only thing that truly matters is the development of 17.  Will he reach his peak?  Does he improve his deep ball?  How much better can he get?  After week 3 we can safely say he has taken a giant leap in his progression.  Not a step, like he took last year imo.  He’s put in the work and we are reaping the benefits in ****eating grins. My cheeks were hurting after the Diggs td on Sunday.  Then again after Stallion capped off yet another 4th quarter comeback. Then again when I woke up this morning.  

He’s currently a lock for top 10 qb, which last season, he might have been in the high to low teens.  Top 10 isn’t giving him enough credit.  Mahomes, Lamar, AR, RW.....is josh now top 5?  Based on his play this year, he’s a top 5 in my book

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Did I just hear Steve Young say that Lamar is 0-5 when trailing?

Why yes.  Yes, I believe you did hear that. 

I'm not sure it's true though, per pro-football-reference he has 1 4th Quarter Comeback and 3 game winning drives.

He may have had some qualifier on there that makes it true.

54 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Anyone else think it's weird that everyone seems to be so poised to dump on the guy that was the league MVP last year with 4333 yards from scrimmage and 43 TDs?

He's not a conventional pocket passer, and he had a rough go and looked bad tonight, but that's tonight and it was against the defending superbowl championships.

Honestly, you don't have to crap on one guy to lift another guy up.

Whether he's out of the league in 4 years or still playing at a high level is really up to him.  He's had a flaw in his game identified (the difficulty throwing to the sidelines).  He'll either fix it, or savvy teams will find ways to hamper and shut him down. 

People could say the same thing about Josh last year, that he'd be out of the league or a backup QB because he couldn't throw with anticipation or throw deep.

• Like (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why yes.  Yes, I believe you did hear that. 

I'm not sure it's true though, per pro-football-reference he has 1 4th Quarter Comeback and 3 game winning drives.

He may have had some qualifier on there that makes it true.

My guess is down by 2 possessions. It’s late, I’ll dig into it tomorrow. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

My guess is down by 2 possessions. It’s late, I’ll dig into it tomorrow. 

Maybe he misquoted this statistic:

Several commentors point out Flacco was the starter for 6 of those losses. So after tonight Jackson is 0-4 when trailing at halftime.

I hate to keep bringing up the Tyrod Taylor comparison because they are really not the same player but that is the kind of stat we had in the Tyrod Taylor days.

I'd be curious to know Allen's record in that situation. Pro Football Reference's game finder doesn't seem to have a tool to find out.

EDIT: Another commenter mentioned he is 0-5 when trailing at halftime if you include playoffs so that is probably what Steve Young was referring to.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lamar Jackson as starting QB is still amazing. He’s young and no one expects him to not progress. If I’m the Washington Football Team next week I’m watching this film, but this is more about Mahomes than it is about Jackson. At this stage of their careers Mahomes is lightyears ahead.  

• Like (+1) 2

KC puts fear in other teams before even the game starts that they have to put LOT of points up.  You miss one throw or you go three and out and it starts playing on your mind.  KC's defense is okay nothing special but the scoreboard pressure gets to the other team.  A good offense is the best defense. 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That was the first game I watched of Lamar since last year. Whereas Josh has improved, Lamar is exactly the same. Till Jackson can learn how to throw the ball better, he will be limited. 

I turned on that new morning show that replaced golic on ESPN and Keyshawn was whining that Lamar just doesn’t have enough weapons 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I turned on that new morning show that replaced golic on ESPN and Keyshawn was whining that Lamar just doesn’t have enough weapons 

I mean maybe that’s it. 
Jackson threw for less than 100 and 1 TD, rushed for just over 80, and his running back was his leading receiver. That’s just not going to win many games against good offenses.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree the Ravens offense lacks talent on the outside, and I’ve defended Jackson from many of his critics on this board. It’s important to give credit where it’s due for the MVP season.  However, Last night opened my eyes a little bit, especially considering the Chiefs haven’t been known as having a stellar defense. I don’t care who you are, 97 yards passing isn’t acceptable from an NFL QB in this era. 

I wasn't impress with Lamar at all last night. He is an average thrower if that. Yes a dangerous runner but that will only take you so far. Allen is the better quarterback. 

I hate when the commentators compare Mahomes Vs Jackson to Brady Vs Manning, cause Allen Vs Mahomes will be more comparable.