The Decline of Hyde

Back2Buff

20 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

What is he fine at doing?

I know he is everyone darling with the way he came into the organization, but you have to look at his play recently.  He is not an impact player.

Bring footage of plays and explain why he has been bad or stop. If you need attention, there's better ways than this. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not sure I agree but the best evidence of where they think their needs are is who they scout - and by many accounts Kyle Dugger was their top choice in the draft.  He’s more of a box safety, like Poyer.  I do think that a rangy free safety to someday replace Hyde is a sneaky long-term need for this team but Hyde is far from the weakest link on that defense.

Start with Horrible Harry there - his play yesterday matched his nickname.  Maybe he’s not healthy yet.  Butler was bad too and he doesn’t have an injury excuse that I know of...

I agree with the sentiment but I think it is a little harsh. Defense across the league has been largely trash as of 3 weeks. I hope it gets better. But not to the point that we are back to hating our offensive production. 

- The safety tandem needs to be replaced at some point. but is not the worst part of the defense at the moment so I won't rally against them yet.  I think it has been the LB to be honest. Edmunds is a physiological freak, and when he has the right feel for whats going on on game day, he is super impressive. When he doesn't, he is a bit of a mess. It does not feel like he has found a groove yet. His role in a McD D is super important so when that group is off it puts extra pressure on a DL missing Star, Phillips, Lawson. And magnifies that some issues at CB depth and/or an aging but quality safety tandem. 

- I never really got the Harry replaces KW rhetoric that started when he was drafted. I think he has been a solid depth/rotational guy. But I have not even really seen flashes of anywhere near a KW type player. I think his play has been meh to date.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

When Hyde first came to Buffalo, he was excellent.  Since that first season, there has been a pretty rapid decline.

2017: 13 Pass Defended, 5 Ints

2018: 5 Pass Defended, 2 Ints

2019: 2 Pass Defended, 1 Int

2020: 1 Pass Defended thus far.

When you take a look at his last 15 games (including Houston game), he has one pass defended, that's it.

He doesn't get sacks, and plays more of a FS role on this team.  That is awful for a guy that is supposed to be roaming in the secondary.

The only time I see Hyde on the field, is when he is making a tackle 15 yards down the field, or chasing a guy from behind.

It seems like a wasted position to me.  I would rather have a guy out there like Neal, who can cause havoc.  You don't need to be worried about getting beat over the top when you are applying more pressure.

Get this info to Beane ASAP.  Hopefully it's not too late to bamboozle a team into trading a 2022 7th round pick for him before his trade capital tumbles.

29 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

When Hyde first came to Buffalo, he was excellent.  Since that first season, there has been a pretty rapid decline.

2017: 13 Pass Defended, 5 Ints

2018: 5 Pass Defended, 2 Ints

2019: 2 Pass Defended, 1 Int

2020: 1 Pass Defended thus far.

When you take a look at his last 15 games (including Houston game), he has one pass defended, that's it.

He doesn't get sacks, and plays more of a FS role on this team.  That is awful for a guy that is supposed to be roaming in the secondary.

The only time I see Hyde on the field, is when he is making a tackle 15 yards down the field, or chasing a guy from behind.

It seems like a wasted position to me.  I would rather have a guy out there like Neal, who can cause havoc.  You don't need to be worried about getting beat over the top when you are applying more pressure.

The last sentence here doesn't make a ton of sense... Do you remember anyone beating buffalo deep?  And if you blitz all the time, teams will beat you over the top if you don't have the man corners required to run that type of scheme.  Buffalo plays a ton of bail coverage and typically he's the deep safety in cover 3, or they will have like a hybrid cover 4 where he's again covering the deep man. 

The only time you're getting a PD/INT is if they chuck one up deep, and teams don't do that because he has some solid ball skills.  Safeties in schemes that play a lot more cover 1 will typically get better numbers, but then you're isolating your CBs on an island, and you will give up deep balls - as well as get gashed by deep overs and rub routes.  

Buffalo doesn't have the corners to play that style, nor do i think that mcdermott wants to.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Safeties get interceptions from tipped passes, deflections, and bad throws from the QB generated by the pass rush. They are rarely asking him to cover a WR, TE, or RB in man coverage.

The front 7 is the problem. Let's not overthink this. The front 7 couldn't stop the run and they didn't get to Goff without a blitz.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The last sentence here doesn't make a ton of sense... Do you remember anyone beating buffalo deep?  And if you blitz all the time, teams will beat you over the top if you don't have the man corners required to run that type of scheme.  Buffalo plays a ton of bail coverage and typically he's the deep safety in cover 3, or they will have like a hybrid cover 4 where he's again covering the deep man. 

The only time you're getting a PD/INT is if they chuck one up deep, and teams don't do that because he has some solid ball skills.  Safeties in schemes that play a lot more cover 1 will typically get better numbers, but then you're isolating your CBs on an island, and you will give up deep balls - as well as get gashed by deep overs and rub routes.  

Buffalo doesn't have the corners to play that style, nor do i think that mcdermott wants to.  

Everything in this response is spot on!

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Great post and really agree man. 

you want him to be jamal adams and he's not that type of player......he's a good player who makes sure we are where we are supposed to be......alot of these rushing totals - check the league the average per carry is ridiculous - lack of camp, preseason and tackling its really poor. I said it would be sloppy tackling til mid October

I’m not seeing any evidence statistically or otherwise that he’s fallen off.  In fact Hyde and Poyer are probably the strength of the Bills defense.  Has he dropped off a little?  Maybe but I don’t think it’s a concern.  You should be concerned for the Bills D-line and LB’s