The Decline of Hyde

Back2Buff

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

When Hyde first came to Buffalo, he was excellent.  Since that first season, there has been a pretty rapid decline.

2017: 13 Pass Defended, 5 Ints

2018: 5 Pass Defended, 2 Ints

2019: 2 Pass Defended, 1 Int

2020: 1 Pass Defended thus far.

When you take a look at his last 15 games (including Houston game), he has one pass defended, that's it.

He doesn't get sacks, and plays more of a FS role on this team.  That is awful for a guy that is supposed to be roaming in the secondary.

The only time I see Hyde on the field, is when he is making a tackle 15 yards down the field, or chasing a guy from behind.

It seems like a wasted position to me.  I would rather have a guy out there like Neal, who can cause havoc.  You don't need to be worried about getting beat over the top when you are applying more pressure.

Nobody's throwing at him. 

Because he's good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm really confused by the number of people who feel like we're not allowed to talk about areas for improvement just because we won.

Having said that, this is a weak argument.

Nothing wrong with talking about areas needing improvement even after a win.  In fact it is the heart of the Lean management or the Toyota Management System which is what McD is using.  It is a bedrock principle -  continuous improvement.   

But it's easier to blame the refs on this board.

Hyde cought the onside kick to win the game the other week. These are things that are never considered. I'm sure if you asked the whole defense if they could play better they would say yes. But hyde has been rock solid and was a huge reason we had a top 5 defense last year . 

• Like (+1) 1

The only problem I see on the D right now is the front seven, particularly the D lineman. They aren’t maintaining gap integrity, they are getting pushed around and our ends aren’t generating much pressure. I think there’s been a bit of a drop off in run stopping talent with the loss of Star and Shaq but McD was hoping to make up for it with improved pass rush from Addison and Jefferson and the return of Harry who has been average at best. I think this is more of a scheme problem than overall talent problem and McD/Frazier will get it fixed. 

It seems like so many people on this board are ready to jettison players way too quickly. The Hyde comments are ridiculous and aren’t worth responding to except to say it demonstrates a lack of understanding of his role in this D. Edmunds had a bad game, big deal. He’s definitely got a bruised or separated AC joint and he’s out there trying to make tackles. If any of you guys had this you wouldn’t be able to wipe your ass let alone take a shot to the shoulder. And get off Moss’s jock while we are at it. The guy is a rookie with zero pre season games trying to learn how to hit holes at the NFL level. He was overhyped in camp but that doesn’t mean he can’t play or is a bust. He will be fine and Motor should get the majority of carries anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

When Hyde first came to Buffalo, he was excellent.  Since that first season, there has been a pretty rapid decline.

When you take a look at his last 15 games (including Houston game), he has one pass defended, that's it.

He doesn't get sacks, and plays more of a FS role on this team.  That is awful for a guy that is supposed to be roaming in the secondary.

The only time I see Hyde on the field, is when he is making a tackle 15 yards down the field, or chasing a guy from behind.

It seems like a wasted position to me.  I would rather have a guy out there like Neal, who can cause havoc.  You don't need to be worried about getting beat over the top when you are applying more pressure.

Feels like you aren't watching the games and if you are, you probably don't know what you're looking at.

Is Hyde playing at an All Pro or even a Pro Bowl level? No. Is he being paid like an All Pro or Pro Bowler? No. His play has fallen off, I agree... but his salary isn’t cumbersome.. i think you let him ride out his contract and let him walk.. Another safety in this mix next year wouldn’t surprise me.. nor would another DT or two nor would another LB or two.. think much of our problem, in my opinion, at least on defense is at DT.. they’re not doing their jobs well.. is it the new coach? is it the players??? I don’t know.. but Oliver, Butler, Phillips and Jefferson are doing our linebackers and safeties no favors...

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Hyde is a team leader and an inspiration to young players. He routinely is one of the leaders in tackles and is part of a great tandem with Poyer. I know Bills fans want to dump players immediately after a bad performance but this guy has a lot of great football left and he deserves to have a role in where this team is  headed.

35 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nothing wrong with talking about areas needing improvement even after a win.  In fact it is the heart of the Lean management or the Toyota Management System which is what McD is using.  It is a bedrock principle -  continuous improvement.   

But it's easier to blame the refs on this board.

It’s also critical that you understand the problem first. The safeties are not the problem in this system currently. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I would give you a laugh because this is funny but you dont deserve the point. Horrible take. As horrible as the dude that called into 1BL today and said Tremaine Edmunds needed to be cut because he was the worse pick in the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

It’s also critical that you understand the problem first. The safeties are not the problem in this system currently. 

Exactly. The safeties are not the issue. See any of my posts and you will see I'm critical of the front 7. One of the first steps in the improvement process is to accurately define the problem.  

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Exactly. The safeties are not the issue. See any of my posts and you will see I'm critical of the front 7. One of the first steps in the improvement process is to accurately define the problem.  

Are you watching tonight’s game? The Ravens’ defense is excellent, and they are being completely shredded. This is today’s NFL, when good defenses facing elite offenses consistently fail. That is the sort of offense the Bills’ D had to face yesterday.

the Pats’ D is probably the best in the league, and they were eviscerated by Russell Wilson.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

What is he fine at doing?

I know he is everyone darling with the way he came into the organization, but you have to look at his play recently.  He is not an impact player.

What's he doing poorly? I haven't seen a decline at all. 

He plays as a centerfielder in this D and Poyer will get up in the box. Hyde is more in that unsung hero role in this defense but very very important for it to be successful. 

The defense as a whole have had 4 fantastic quarters and 2 very poor quarters (2nd half vs LA and Mia) . 

Like Shaw said, they'll be just fine by November.

Hyde is playing just fine now imo. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you watching tonight’s game? The Ravens’ defense is excellent, and they are being completely shredded. This is today’s NFL, when good defenses facing elite offenses consistently fail. That is the sort of offense the Bills’ D had to face yesterday.

the Pats’ D is probably the best in the league, and they were eviscerated by Russell Wilson.

I posted yesterday there were 13 teams with over 30 points (4 of which lost) and that offenses are ahead of defenses so far in 2020. They have adopted a lot of works well in college and NFL defenses have not caught up. 

That doesn't change the fact the Bills defense got eviscerated and will need to play better later in the year. Bills D doesn't give up the huge play but they gave up too many chunk plays yestrtday.

Turnovers are the great equalizer. Rush the passer and get strip sacks and errant throws.

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I posted yesterday there were 13 teams with over 30 points (4 of which lost) and that offenses are ahead of defenses so far in 2020. They have adopted a lot of works well in college and NFL defenses have not caught up. 

That doesn't change the fact the Bills defense got eviscerated and will need to play better later in the year. Bills D doesn't give up the huge play but they gave up too many chunk plays yestrtday.

Turnovers are the great equalizer. Rush the passer and get strip sacks and errant throws.

See my other posts. LA went to a short passing game that negated the rush completely.