The Decline of Hyde

Back2Buff

When Hyde first came to Buffalo, he was excellent.  Since that first season, there has been a pretty rapid decline.

2017: 13 Pass Defended, 5 Ints

2018: 5 Pass Defended, 2 Ints

2019: 2 Pass Defended, 1 Int

2020: 1 Pass Defended thus far.

When you take a look at his last 15 games (including Houston game), he has one pass defended, that's it.

He doesn't get sacks, and plays more of a FS role on this team.  That is awful for a guy that is supposed to be roaming in the secondary.

The only time I see Hyde on the field, is when he is making a tackle 15 yards down the field, or chasing a guy from behind.

It seems like a wasted position to me.  I would rather have a guy out there like Neal, who can cause havoc.  You don't need to be worried about getting beat over the top when you are applying more pressure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

When Hyde first came to Buffalo, he was excellent.  Since that first season, there has been a pretty rapid decline.

When you take a look at his last 15 games (including Houston game), he has one pass defended, that's it.

He doesn't get sacks, and plays more of a FS role on this team.  That is awful for a guy that is supposed to be roaming in the secondary.

The only time I see Hyde on the field, is when he is making a tackle 15 yards down the field, or chasing a guy from behind.

It seems like a wasted position to me.  I would rather have a guy out there like Neal, who can cause havoc.  You don't need to be worried about getting beat over the top when you are applying more pressure.

I wont say the production has fallen some, but Hyde injured his ankle in week 1 and reinjured it (I think it is the same ankle) this game. We have a lot of players playing hurt. Hopefully get all that bad ju-ju out of the way early this year and be healthier down the stretch.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

What is he fine at doing?

I know he is everyone darling with the way he came into the organization, but you have to look at his play recently.  He is not an impact player.

I didn’t realize that the box score is where impact players are found. 

I bet that’s how all of the high-end, progressive organizations find impact players... someone should let Beane know. 

Most know 'pass defended' and 'interception' could be misleading in comparing cornerbacks because when cornerbacks are in good position to defend, quarterbacks may not throw the pass and go to their next reads.

In the same note, are 'pass defended' and 'interception' really good stats to evaluate safeties?

BTW, even though Hyde has a drop-off in 'passed defneded' and 'int', he was ranked quite high in several rankings: For example: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-safeties-in-the-nfl/

• Like (+1) 1

You can find a stat page to support just about anything. Secondary is hit and miss when it comes to stats on paper. 
Is Hyde a liability against the pass? Is he letting receivers get over the top for long completions? We shall see in the Seattle games and some others who are killing teams on deep completions over the top how valuable Hyde is to this defense. Right? 

I’m not sure I agree but the best evidence of where they think their needs are is who they scout - and by many accounts Kyle Dugger was their top choice in the draft.  He’s more of a box safety, like Poyer.  I do think that a rangy free safety to someday replace Hyde is a sneaky long-term need for this team but Hyde is far from the weakest link on that defense.

Start with Horrible Harry there - his play yesterday matched his nickname.  Maybe he’s not healthy yet.  Butler was bad too and he doesn’t have an injury excuse that I know of...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't know maybe after he started playing so well teams decided to you know not throw at him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2