Game Winning Drive Defensive PI

Protocal69

I think this ‘technique’ was coached, especially after Robert Woods came out and said ‘you couldn’t tell if he was run blocking or running a route.’  (+ -)

If he was run blocking, the CB did a pretty 1/2 assed job getting off the ‘block’.

Sounds like a coach (or other players) told them to try it to see how much they could squeeze the refs.

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dean Blandino is a piece of.....well....  Yes, Virginia, the NFL is fixed.

Blandino doesn't work for the NFL. He used to , but he's now media. Why wouldn't a member of the media think first about which media market is more important?

This is about as far from showing the NFL is fixed as you can get.

EDIT:  Ah, I see you're about half-kidding. Sorry.

Edited by Thurman#1

Josh Allen Is the World's Wildest Roller Coaster: 

Allen’s afternoon included four passing touchdowns, one rushing touchdown, a reckless jump-ball prayer with a 25-point lead that was completed ... but was incorrectly ruled an interception (there was also an offensive pass interference flag) [also questionable IMO]. There was another lost fumble, the rare quarterback facemask penalty committed as he used one pass rusher as a human shield to block another pass rusher. And he had another late lateral to an unsuspecting teammate—that teammate was unsuspecting because no reasonable person would ever attempt such a lateral (the ball rolled safely out of bounds). Anyway, the Bills defeated the Rams in a football game, by three points.

Bills Score Seven When They Get to the Red Zone: 

Five red zone trips, 35 points, and they needed every one of them. In a league where no one seems interested in tackling anyone, red-zone efficiency is a very important thing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/09/27/week-3-takeaways-josh-allen-wild-ride-foles-in-trubisky-out-falcons-blow-it-again

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-vs-rams-final-score-buffalo-bounces-back-after-blowing-25-point-lead-to-remain-undefeated/live/

Spurred by a controversial John Johnson III interception, Jared Goff rallied Los Angeles back to take a 32-28 lead late. Bills quarterback Josh Allen was given the ball with one final opportunity and dug deep to lead a game-winning drive featuring a controversial pass interference penalty and an unfathomable escape from the grasp of Sean McVay's defense. 

Why the Bills won

Josh Allen was a wizard in the first half. He avoided contact, stood tall in the pocket and threw with accuracy down the field.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, MJS said:

Should have been illegal contact. The only legitimate gripe is that the officials usually don't call things like that late in the ball game. They usually let them play unless it is super egregious.

Either way the Bills get a 1st down and the shot at winning  :)

Let's give Gabe Davis his proper due here.  I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this here yet.  He refused to let the defender steer him out of his route.  Most rookies aren't aware or experienced enough to do that in game 3 of their pro career.  More than anything he drew the foul like a Guard driving the lane in basketball drawing the blocking foul.  And even with the illegal contact/PI he was able to run his route and if Allen had a split second more time he possibly could have been in position to make the catch. 

One more thing... As a Bills fan that's seen his team get screwed consistently over the last 20 years with bad calls at the worst possible time I will not apologize or entertain any opinions that the call was wrong or feel bad for the opponent or their fans.  After all the Rams made it to the SB on the most blatant defensive PI non-call ever. 

On to the Raiders!

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If the refs made this call in the 1st Quarter, nobody would have questioned it.  There was clearly contact after 5 yards that impeded the WR, with the pass in the air.  And the defender wasn't playing the ball.  The main reason people hate the call, is because this was a clear situation where the refs ended up deciding the game.  Nobody likes that.  If the official decides to hold the flag, the Bills lose.  If he decides to throw it, the Bills probably have a 90% chance of winning.

My opinion is that penalties should be the same regardless of situation.  You call a game the same on the first play, as you do on the last.  You call a game the same in the regular season as you do in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Also, the claims that Los Angeles benefited from several other bad calls is valid.  There is a good chance the comeback never happens without aid from the refs.  Many have elaborated on the ridiculous INT call, which flipped the game's momentum.  But there is also visual evidence in another thread that Aaron Donald grabbed the QB's facemask on the 4th Quarter fumble.  How does the game change if they call a facemask on the Rams, instead of a turnover (and then ensuing 15 yard penalty on Allen)?

50 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

LOL 

Finally we have the offensive pass interference on Tyler Kroft that was declined due to the Rams getting a gift from the refs an interception. Let’s see if the OPI was warranted and also get angry again at how bad of a call the “interception” deal was.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

On 9/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, Protocal69 said:

per Robert Woods: 

pass interference should not have been called against Williams.

“He’s playing defensive back, you know he’s playing hands on, he’s checking him,” Woods said, “and as [Davis] gets into his route, the receiver initiates the contact and the quarterback is literally just throwing the ball in the area.

“It wasn’t even a catchable ball.”

Well maybe if the guy was not holding well pass 5 yards Gabe would have been at the spot where Allen was expecting him to be on a anticipation throw.

Somebody should have told Woods karma is a b$#@h, and asked him about Allens interception/non interception, just to see what his thoughts were on that play.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, BananaB said:

Bet he never answered any questions about the interception 

On the PI I said “Wow, you don’t always get that flag, especially at this point in this kind of a game.”  so it did feel a little bit like a make up call to me.  And I’ll take that.

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its simple.  It was PI because ball was in the air to the WR while they were still engaged.  It’s that simple.  Case closed.  

Had Josh thrown the ball after he broke free, there would have been no PI called.  It was a PI 100% per the rules.

but but ......    he was leaning to the left and not the right.    

:doh:

Dean Blandino is the former head of officiating for the XFL.

former for a reason  

8 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

It was clearly a penalty, and the Rams DB knew it.

watch the end of the play. 

Rams DB throws his hands up in the "not me, I didn't do anything wrong" signal. 

This.  99 times out of 100 the DB is quick to throw his hands up when he knows he's committed a penalty.  I don't get why DB's still do that to this day.  They might as well yell at the ref "throw the flag!" 

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Either way the Bills get a 1st down and the shot at winning  :)

Yup, all while the Rams still had a chance to stop us. 

We got a very rare call in our favor when we have been screwed so many times in years past with ticky tack calls against us, or non calls for us that should of been been called. 

I have zero issues with the win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

On the PI I said “Wow, you don’t always get that flag, especially at this point in this kind of a game.”  so it did feel a little bit like a make up call to me.  And I’ll take that.

This is kind of an important distinction:

It's not a controversy because it's a bad call. It's a controversy because it happened on the last play.

As opposed to a situation like the Rams vs Saints championship game. That was a controversy because it was a horrible call (non-call). 

One's worth complaining about and the other is not.

To me, it's most important for the refs to call a consistent game. Like, if you're not going to call holding, fine. Just don't decide to call it all-of-a-sudden on the last drive. 

Don't change the way you officiate simply because it's the last play. 

That's the BS that irks me.