Game Winning Drive Defensive PI

Protocal69

4 hours ago, Whkfc said:

It wasnt a catchable ball because the corner held up the reciever had the reciever not been held he would have been in position to catch the ball. Pass interference wasnt the correct call he is right. Tue correct call should have been defensive holding still giving the Bills an automatic first down.

I think this is accurate - I do believe that is technically sound as the holding kept Davis from being in position to catch the ball rendering the ball "not catchable", but this crew pulled some head-scratchers during the game and the Rams were the beneficiaries of plenty of them.

Could have sworn I saw a delay of game too that was not called, then the very next play the Rams had to call a timeout with 1 sec on the clock or they were going to push their luck twice.

Was not exactly the "A" team of officials and I am not a fan of how Rivera has an echo-chamber approach to closing ranks and tweeting out the spin-cycle nonsense when it comes to his crew's mistakes.

Would be much better if they just said, mistakes can happen at game speed and we will review all calls for accuracy as part of our continuous performance improvement.

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was curious of what Rams “fans” were thinking, so I jumped on their Reddit. Most are of the idea that they didn’t deserve to be in a position to even win the game. There are a few that think that call was trash and they deserve to be upset. 

My thought is, “dude, the refs literally gifted you the ball on a totally fabricated call at mid field. If that didn’t happen we aren’t even having this conversation” 

1 hour ago, Ecmic82 said:

I originally thought it was a bad call because the defender threw his hands up to say “I didn’t do anything” before the play was over and before a flag was thrown, and that’s usually a good sign of a clear conscience 🙄

But watching a slow motion replay, it’s clear that not only does the defender initiate contact, but the hold also directs Davis off his initial inside cut and away from the point where he would’ve otherwise been - which is where the ball was thrown.

I feel the opposite. When you throw your hands up thats a sign that you were holding but now you are trying to convince someone ( Ref) that you were not because you know it could be viewed like you are/were

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

I feel the opposite. When you throw your hands up thats a sign that you were holding but now you are trying to convince someone ( Ref) that you were not because you know it could be viewed like you are/were

I was joking. It’s probably the most sure sign that a defender knows he did something he wasn’t supposed to.

• Like (+1) 1

Dean Blandino was never actually a ref. That is my issue with him. I am sure he thinks like that and might even have while overseeing replay. But Pereira was an actual referee as was Al Riveron and as a professional those guys take just as much pride in their craft as the players on the field and I doubt they think like that. 

• Like (+1) 3

Mike Pereira said it was the right call and as others have stated it should have been holding at the very least. Blandino in all his XFL glory is a tool. He should go back to stand up comedy. Didn't hear the whinny media complain about the phantom INT the basically changed the game. The shield will always give big markets more love. It's life.

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Mike Pereira said it was the right call and as others have stated it should have been holding at the very least. Blandino in all his XFL glory is a tool. He should go back to stand up comedy. Didn't hear the whinny media complain about the phantom INT the basically changed the game. The shield will always give big markets more love. It's life.

Wasn’t MP the “on deck” rules analyst for the game?

At that time he also said it wasn’t an INT