Game Winning Drive Defensive PI

Protocal69

Initially, I thought it was a BS call (though I figured we were owed one in our favor and was happy to take it).  However, when they slowed it down, I could see why it was a penalty.  Yes, Davis initiates the contact into the defender, but then the defender gets his hands on him and holds onto him when Davis tries to break right.  It looked like when an offensive lineman engages a rusher and then the quarterback scrambles the rusher moves to the side to chase and if the O-lineman doesn't release his grip, he gets called for the hold.  Looked like the referee had a good look at it, too.  It may have been a bit ticky-tack...and maybe doesn't get called all the time, but I could see where that was PI.

It was illegal contact.  Has been called against every team in the league a gazillion times including the Bills more times than I can count.  If the refs had just said "illegal contact" instead of "pass interference" would anyone be complaining?  It's a 5-yard foul not a spot foul but it's an automatic first down and given where they were on the field it would've gone to about the same spot.  This is a non-issue (not to mention that it's been discussed at length in multiple other places).

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All due respect to Robert Woods, but the Rams are the LAST team to be complaining about a PI call at the end of the game given what occurred in New Orleans in the 2018 playoffs that denied the Saints a chance to go to the SB. 

Or the OPI that saved them against Dallas week 1.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

per Robert Woods: 

pass interference should not have been called against Williams.

“He’s playing defensive back, you know he’s playing hands on, he’s checking him,” Woods said, “and as [Davis] gets into his route, the receiver initiates the contact and the quarterback is literally just throwing the ball in the area.

“It wasn’t even a catchable ball.”

Well maybe if the guy was not holding well pass 5 yards Gabe would have been at the spot where Allen was expecting him to be on a anticipation throw.

Isn't that the exact point.  No hold & he is where the ball was thrown.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dude just cannot stop starting threads.  He's a straight-up addict.  The endorphin rush is too powerful.

Well if you look at my overall thread count compared to the amount of time ive been a member of this fourms you would come to the realization that you sound like fool. If the thread is so garbage I would think it would have got shut down from the start. 

Edited by Protocal69
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

All due respect to Robert Woods, but the Rams are the LAST team to be complaining about a PI call at the end of the game given what occurred in New Orleans in the 2018 playoffs that denied the Saints a chance to go to the SB. 

Not only that, but the retired ref (Periera?) who the announcers consulted with also said it was a penalty all the way. 

I trust his impartial take on the play more than Woods.  Sorry Robert, maybe he's still pissed because Whaley didn't think he was worth $8M per year.

And the ref consultant also disagreed with the Kroft INT call but so would anyone with two eyes and a basic understanding of the rules.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Or the OPI that saved them against Dallas week 1.

Absolutely.  I felt that this was at least as egregious as that.  I personally feel like davis tried to drive inside and he couldnt.  I feel like ramsey tied up gallups arm, gallup pulled the arm away and ramsey sold a push off.  

Just now, dneveu said:

Absolutely.  I felt that this was at least as egregious as that.  I personally feel like davis tried to drive inside and he couldnt.  I feel like ramsey tied up gallups arm, gallup pulled the arm away and ramsey sold a push off.  

Does anyone honestly feel that if the situation was reversed and White or Wallace road and impeded Cupp or Roberts like that 8 yards downfield the hankies would not fly... even if Goff turfed it at their feet???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

It was at the very least illegal contact, beyond 5 yards, or holding.  It was flagged as PI because the ball was already in the air.  Tasker clarified that on One Bills Live today.

Bills won, I’m happy! Was it a deliberate makeup call? I seriously doubt that was a conscious thing. I’m good with how it turned out, and  if they don’t want that flag, don’t grab him past 5 yards. Them’s be da rules! 

I will admit to getting angry with some of the talking heads just dismissing it as a horrible call, usually while also saying one play does not make a game. The timing was horrific for the Rams, but that is THIER problem! Illegal contact was a better description of what happened and might have reduced some of the pooh-poohing of the play. Illegal contact gets us the same victory without the whining.

BILLS WIN!!!

P.S. - the INT call was the worst call since the Rams got to a Super Bowl on a bad call. They can stop their whining. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

Mike Pereira " its illegal contact 5 yds automatic first down

definitely a penalty but it's not really pass interference"

I think he's right

Robert Woods....waaaaa!!!!!!!   yep nothing said about the bs interception

Pereira "there is nothing visually or in the rules that makes this an interception"

In my opinion it's a penalty they called it, for me it wasn't even iffy Im glad he had the balls to make the call a lot of guys run into the tunnel. Have some pride in your work-- too many don't

Edited by CardinalScotts
  • Like (+1) 2

I originally thought it was a bad call because the defender threw his hands up to say “I didn’t do anything” before the play was over and before a flag was thrown, and that’s usually a good sign of a clear conscience 🙄

But watching a slow motion replay, it’s clear that not only does the defender initiate contact, but the hold also directs Davis off his initial inside cut and away from the point where he would’ve otherwise been - which is where the ball was thrown.

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Haha (+1) 1

It HAD to be called.

I can see overlooking incidental contact.  This contact prevented Davis from breaking inside.  That ball would have been on the money if he had been able to break inside.

That's why we have the rules.  To me, it's the same as if he had tackled Davis.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Bills could get 10 calls a game like that one and we would still be behind in total BS calls karma after the season is over.  Could care less if a call finally goes our way. 

Absolutely.  But was it even a bad call?  This is what Fox Rules Analyst Mike Pereira said

"Well I'll tell you, on a day were seemingly I've disagreed with everything that's been called, at least in replay, I agree with this.  Because to me its illegal contact, he rides him more than 5 yards downfield with the QB in the pocket,  and then when the balls in the air that illegal contact becomes defensive PI.  So its tough, its huge but watch here gonna ride, ride, ride, he's beyond 5 yards, and then the receiver turns inside but the fouls already been committed.  So I actually do like the call."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Ecmic82 said:

I originally thought it was a bad call because the defender threw his hands up to say “I didn’t do anything” before the play was over and before a flag was thrown, and that’s usually a good sign of a clear conscience 🙄

🙂

In one of the later games, I saw a DB commit PI in two consecutive plays. In both cases, he literally grabbed the receiver's arm and pinned it to his body. In both cases, he was flagged, and in both cases, he held up his arms as if to say, "What? That was totally legal!"

3 hours ago, Putin said:

I’m sure he had no issue with the BS INT call 

Worst call ive seen to date.

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

per Robert Woods: 

pass interference should not have been called against Williams.

“He’s playing defensive back, you know he’s playing hands on, he’s checking him,” Woods said, “and as [Davis] gets into his route, the receiver initiates the contact and the quarterback is literally just throwing the ball in the area.

“It wasn’t even a catchable ball.”

Well maybe if the guy was not holding well pass 5 yards Gabe would have been at the spot where Allen was expecting him to be on a anticipation throw.

Someone can post this to his twitter....