Game Winning Drive Defensive PI

Protocal69

per Robert Woods: 

pass interference should not have been called against Williams.

“He’s playing defensive back, you know he’s playing hands on, he’s checking him,” Woods said, “and as [Davis] gets into his route, the receiver initiates the contact and the quarterback is literally just throwing the ball in the area.

“It wasn’t even a catchable ball.”

Well maybe if the guy was not holding well pass 5 yards Gabe would have been at the spot where Allen was expecting him to be on a anticipation throw.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

per Robert Woods: 

“He’s playing defensive back, you know he’s playing hands on, he’s checking him,” Woods said, “and as [Davis] gets into his route, the receiver initiates the contact and the quarterback is literally just throwing the ball in the area.

Well maybe if the guy was not holding well pass 5 yards Gabe would have been at the spot where Allen was expecting him to be on a anticipation throw.

I’m sure he had no issue with the BS INT call 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

per Robert Woods: 

I just made that point too and referenced the comments about the PI. "He is playing hands-on... checking him (waaay past the 5 yards allowed). And what does he mean that the receiver initiates the contact? The proper term is extracted himself from the contact :)

They also have to gloss over the fact that the Rams gave up a 3rd and 22 from Allen to get the team down there, and Allen still had to throw another TD against a defense that had only allowed 1 passing TD in its prior 2 games... 

OK c'mon now Robert, I liked you when you were a Bill and you played a heck of a game, but would you like some cheese with your whine?

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Whatabouisms are weak arguments.  There was enough contact by the DB to be considered a borderline pass interference call. 

Should have been illegal contact. The only legitimate gripe is that the officials usually don't call things like that late in the ball game. They usually let them play unless it is super egregious.

To me they should be calling things consistently no matter what the down and distance is, or what point of the game it is. But that's just me.

1 minute ago, Protocal69 said:

I just thought it was interesting because the comment came from Robert Woods a beloved former player. The fact that he said the ball was not even catchable could be seen as a dig at Allen being inaccurate . 

It wasn't catchable because the timing was thrown off due to the illegal contact past 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

But we shouldn't be surprised that Woods is going to back up his own team.

• Like (+1) 3

For years i come to Bills message Boards crying and whining the "Bills got screwed" and the "Pats get all the calls" blah blah blah and for once, for ONCE the Bills to their cal and what are many Bills fans doing?

Of course crying and whining about it.

Lets go back to that absurd interception...what a terrible cal that was.  A tie between an offense and defensive players ALWAYS goes the offensive and that weas about as much a tie as I have ever seen.  And even IF  there was offensive pass interference then you mark off the penalty but you sure dont reward them with the ball.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 3

It wasnt a catchable ball because the corner held up the reciever had the reciever not been held he would have been in position to catch the ball. Pass interference wasnt the correct call he is right. Tue correct call should have been defensive holding still giving the Bills an automatic first down.

• Like (+1) 1

If teams were reversed 100/100 bills fans would be furious. I mean come on it was not a penalty lol.

But the only reason they were in that position is because of the worst, sketchiest call I have ever seen on the pick. The bills didn't get lucky or bailed out, they were only down because the refs.

Unfortunately the rams penalty is the only one the media is talking about because it was at the end of the game . 

3 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

It wasnt a catchable ball because the corner held up the reciever had the reciever not been held he would have been in position to catch the ball. Pass interference wasnt the correct call he is right. Tue correct call should have been defensive holding still giving the Bills an automatic first down.

The corner was still holding/engaging Davis when the ball was in the air.  Makes it PI.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All due respect to Robert Woods, but the Rams are the LAST team to be complaining about a PI call at the end of the game given what occurred in New Orleans in the 2018 playoffs that denied the Saints a chance to go to the SB. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All due respect to Robert Woods, but the Rams are the LAST team to be complaining about a PI call at the end of the game given what occurred in New Orleans in the 2018 playoffs that denied the Saints a chance to go to the SB. 

Yup. And the Saints would’ve given the Cheaters a better game.

57 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Whatabouisms are weak arguments.  There was enough contact by the DB to be considered a borderline pass interference call. 

It was at the very least illegal contact, beyond 5 yards, or holding.  It was flagged as PI because the ball was already in the air.  Tasker clarified that on One Bills Live today.

• Like (+1) 1