ESPN's Dan Orlovsky Making Case for Allen MVP

BigDingus

38 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

I don't buy this Wilson is partially "owed" an MVP BS...

Last season and a past lack of votes should mean nothing to the 2020 MVP discussion.

BTW, I think Wilson is the MVP thus far, barely. Just my opinion.

You are 100% right that it shouldn't, but we know that it will. The narrative has been set, and he's the front runner.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Orlovsky was one of the most vocal anti-Allen analysts when Josh was drafted.  The smart ones are all admitting they were wrong.  Orlovsky has slowly been coming along as Josh has progressed and his conversion now appears to be complete.  

I give Dan credit, he started making that turn early. Like last year.

While I have plenty of issues with ESPN's on-air "talent" (using that term loosely), Orlovsky is one of the more fair analysts. In that, he watches more team than just the Cowboys and Patriots.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

WOW.  Yeah that's a real shock to know that, and considering Wilson is a media darling, Josh may have to throw for 6,000 yards, 50 touchdowns, the one "int" he threw yesterday, 85% completion, and also develop a cure for Covid AND cancer.  

Pretty much. We're Buffalo, nobody respects us.  I've been listening to Keysean Johnson ramble nonsense here in LA for the last several years. Eric Dickerson was popping off about  8 months ago on how over rated the Bills were.  After a while you just change the channel. Unless he stumbles, Russell Wilson is winning it this year. It's almost pre ordained because of his earlier snubs in voting. Josh could easily be runner up. Besides the goal is the Lombardi. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I paid attention to the GB/NO game last night.  Rodgers had a few head scratchers of his own last night.

He completely overthrew a deep ball last night, and he wasn't even under duress. If that were Allen, who knows how many people would yell about inaccuracy. But it's Rodgers, so it was just one of those throws in an otherwise great game.

Meanwhile, three weeks does not an MVP make. Those discussions have all the value of a power rankings post. But it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the discussions. And the dude in the video was right. That four-minute drive to win the game was absolutely incredible, and if that were Wilson or Rodgers, everyone would be talking about it today.

• Like (+1) 2

Mike Florio of PFT pointed out to Peter King recently that in the past decade, the MVP is almost ALWAYS from one of the top two seeds -- usually the top seed -- in either the AFC or NFC.

In other words, "Most Valuable Player" has REALLY come to mean "The best player on the best team", or even more accurately "the quarterback of the best team".

So in addition to Josh continuing to put up good numbers, the Bills likely need to be one of the top two seeds in the AFC for him to have a good shot at MVP. And even then -- even if the Bills are the AFC's #1 seed and Josh has a great season -- it's possible Russell Wilson has an even BETTER season down in the NFC and wins the thing. Lord knows the national sentiment this year seems to be "It's Russ's year!". And hey, if they named an MVP tomorrow, I'd have to vote for Wilson. His stats are better across the board than Josh's. I mean...he just threw 5 TDs in back-to-back weeks!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

I will weigh in on the Russell Wilson versus Allen comparisons. I watch every Seahawks game and have done so for the past 15 years.Russell is electric, there is no doubt about that. However, when people get on Josh about inaccuracy, Wilson misses a lot of throws as well. The number of times he throws low to his receivers cannot be understated. Don’t get me wrong, I would’ve loved to have had him the past 7 years behind center, but he is not infallible. We have a QB who is 7 years Russ’s junior who has grown leaps and bounds and has that same killer instinct. We can all rest easy knowing that the Bills have an MVP quality quarterback, no matter what the pundits say.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Orlovsky was one of the most vocal anti-Allen analysts when Josh was drafted.  The smart ones are all admitting they were wrong.  Orlovsky has slowly been coming along as Josh has progressed and his conversion now appears to be complete.  

He has been coming on One Bills Live for a couple years now and has been giving Allen props when deserved. Seems like he just calls it like he sees it, which is refreshing. A lot of us were fooled before Josh Allen was drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

If he keeps this pace up consistently in his career I have no doubt he is going to be in the MVP conversation for a long time. I'm ecstatic about it. 

Now just need to keep them Ws going. Have to be the best player on a winning team. Let's aim for 12-4 or better boys

I would love to see him keep up this pace.

In the previous 2 seasons combined he had 5163 yards, 30 passing TDS and 21 INTs

His current pace has him finishing this season with 5536 yards, 53 passing TDs and 5 INTs

I don't think that's realistic but I'd love to see it. 

If I were voting for MVP today, I would have to go with Wilson with Allen a close second.  To me it will come down to how the teams look at the end of the year.  If Wilson and Allen have similar statistical seasons but one team is 12-4 and the other is 10-6, it's going to go to the guy on the 12-4 team. 

Having any sort of conversation about this in week 3 is ridiculous though, especially since the last two MVPs haven't even played their third game yet!

Does Allen deserve to be in the MVP discussion based on the first 3 weeks he definitely does. However, it is a long season and he still needs to prove that he can win consistently week in and week out before anointing him. There were moments in the 2nd half where he looked shaky but he showed growth by carrying this team to a victory in a game they probably would have lost in previous years.

I do agree that Wilson has the inside track right now, but after 17 years with no playoff appearances and even more with no playoff wins, the national media simply refuses to acknowledge this team is legit. They are afraid to go out on a limb if you could even call it that any more. I've been Josh's biggest critic for the last 2 years and he has won me over this season. He still has some things to work out like his inexcusable fumbleitis, but if he can clean that up, he could well be an MVP at the rate he's going.

I think after almost 24 hours people can start to see the big picture here. That rams team is still mainly built on the coaches and players that brought them to the Super Bowl 2 years ago and they look like they could be a serious contender again this year and our Bills beat them in a shoot out. That is unbelievable and something I haven’t seen from a Bills teams since the Kelly era. Not even the 1 good Bledsoe year could begin to start to describe how excited I am for this team. Sure there’s some problems here and there but the Bills are now built to be serious contenders and it looks like it could stay that way for a while. This could be a regular season game that people point to in the future where we realized this team has officially arrived on the contender list. 

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

His MVP consideration will be hurt by the defense's reputation. People associate the Bills with having a top-5 defense, even though, thus far, they have been far from it. 

Not so sure about that.  Lamar Jackson has gotten plenty of attention and Baltimore touted a top 5 defense last season, or close to it.

3 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

It would be cool if both teams were undefeated when they meet. Pretty tall order I know...

And also cool if KC and Buffalo were undefeated when Mahomes and Allen are on the same field.  Not as far fetched.