ESPN's Dan Orlovsky Making Case for Allen MVP

BigDingus

People say the media is biased against us, I've been in the camp that when we start winning & beating good teams, they'll give the Bills credit. Here's Dan Orlovsky making a case for Allen, even going so far as to say "And if that was Aaron, or if that was Russell, Tom or Drew, we'd be making a much bigger deal about that drive and those two conversions, and they win the game because of Josh Allen."

If it weren't for Russell Wilson putting up even more ridiculous numbers, more people would agree through 3 games, Allen has taken a massive step forward. He does still make a few head scratching plays each game (like just not getting rid of the ball & taking a huge sack), but otherwise he's added key elements like touch passes, deep ball accuracy, and not locking onto his primary target pre-snap through throw to his game. 

And yes, I threw that one criticism in to incur the wrath of a certain diehard 😄

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen is as equally valuable as Russell Wilson is to his team. Or Patrick Mahones is the o his team.  All three teams would be awful if you replaced them with say Kirk Cousins. In comparison you could probably put cousins on the Steelers or Browns and expect those teams to perform at the same win/ loss level. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he keeps this pace up consistently in his career I have no doubt he is going to be in the MVP conversation for a long time. I'm ecstatic about it. 

Now just need to keep them Ws going. Have to be the best player on a winning team. Let's aim for 12-4 or better boys

The funny thing for me is that it seems like so many people, particularly the ones who still like to bring up the headscratching plays, the negative ones, conveniently forget that ALL of the elite quarterbacks make the same kind of plays, on a weekly basis!!  The first ballot HOFers, the Mahomes, Jacksons, Wilsons...all of em.   And to me what makes what Allen is doing even that much more impressive is that this is a QB, no, this is THE QB that everybody dumped on coming out of college(me included).  I'll be honest and say I seriously doubted he would be able to overcome his accuracy issues.  The improvements that he has made from one year to the next are absolutely mind-boggling if you ask me.  For what he has done so far this year, I will happily take the one or two hiccup plays he commits, because that's just the nature of the position.  You have to be willing to take risks, and I love knowing when the game is on the line, and it's 3rd and 22, our QB goes for the jugular, or at the minimum the first down.  I have too many bitter memories of past Bills qb's with the game on the line, it's 4th and 9, and he throws a 5 yard out pattern.   I thank God for who we have behind center now.  

The bottom line is his good BY FAR outweighs his bad.  And he's only getting better....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

The funny thing for me is that it seems like so many people, particularly the ones who still like to bring up the headscratching plays, the negative ones, conveniently forget that ALL of the elite quarterbacks make the same kind of plays, on a weekly basis!!  The first ballot HOFers, the Mahomes, Jacksons, Wilsons...all of em.   And to me what makes what Allen is doing even that much more impressive is that this is a QB, no, this is THE QB that everybody dumped on coming out of college(me included).  I'll be honest and say I seriously doubted he would be able to overcome his accuracy issues.  The improvements that he has made from one year to the next are absolutely mind-boggling if you ask me.  For what he has done so far this year, I will happily take the one or two hiccup plays he commits, because that's just the nature of the position.  You have to be willing to take risks, and I love knowing when the game is on the line, and it's 3rd and 22, our QB goes for the jugular, or at the minimum the first down.  I have too many bitter memories of past Bills qb's with the game on the line, it's 4th and 9, and he throws a 5 yard out pattern.   I thank God for who we have behind center now.  

The bottom line is his good BY FAR outweighs his bad.  And he's only getting better....

I paid attention to the GB/NO game last night.  Rodgers had a few head scratchers of his own last night.  They're not as insane as Allen's because he's been in the league forever and isn't anywhere near the athletic beast JA is but he still made some horrible decisions and throws in a game he played pretty well in.

It's football.  The players/coaches on the other team are really good/professional too.  Sometimes they're going to win their matchup and even when that happens, Josh may very well make a huge play for us.  That's an incredible quality and he's only going to get better at it.

• Like (+1) 3

'Valuable' player has always been a little loosely defined.   Some people look at it as it simply meaning the best player but others look at it like "well without this guy their team is screwed, he's the most valuable" 

What if there's a great backup behind him, does that make him less valuable?

Either way, #17 is good enough to win a championship with, and thats all I care about.

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He's been saying that since last week, and getting laughed at. I do think it is way to early to have an opinion on this however.

I don't think it's too early. Yes we're only three games in but Allen has only gotten better with each game, AND....he's getting better each week as the level of our opponent has gotten better too...that's impressive...

• Like (+1) 1

One surprising fact I heard recently that really opened my eyes to the uphill battle Josh would have to earn the MVP award: To date, Russell Wilson has never received a SINGLE vote for MVP across his entire career.

If Wilson hasnt even received a single vote yet, we may just have to be patient before we see our guy properly recognized.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

One surprising fact I heard recently that really opened my eyes to the uphill battle Josh would have to earn the MVP award: To date, Russell Wilson has never received a SINGLE vote for MVP across his entire career.

If Wilson hasnt even received a single vote yet, we may just have to be patient before we see our guy properly recognized.

Wow, seriously? That's shocking... Wilson has been the Seahawks team for what, several years now? That guy has just improved to a stupid level & yet no MVP votes ever? 

I understand how people like Mahomes dominated the MVP voting when they did, but c'mon...Wilson has been playing such good football. Just checked his stats, 35 TD's to 7 INT's & 31 TD's to 5 INT's the past 2 years, 100+ passer rating, 66% completions, etc. yet not  a single MVP vote 🤨

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

WOW.  Yeah that's a real shock to know that, and considering Wilson is a media darling, Josh may have to throw for 6,000 yards, 50 touchdowns, the one "int" he threw yesterday, 85% completion, and also develop a cure for Covid AND cancer.  

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And to your point that narrative is out there amongst voters now. Keyshawn made a good point when he said Josh has an uphill climb because Wilson came into this year with momentum based off the zero votes factoid and Wilson has done nothing but throw gas on the fire with his play. 

Josh Allen might not be MVP this year but his play so far puts him in the conversation. I’m more than OK with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

Keyshawn Johnson is an idiot. 

Next. 

Keyshawn's argument.... "Russell Wilson came into the season as the MVP favorite..."

Uh ok...  Not a slam against Wilson (who is also playing fantastic), but what does that have to do with anything?

Also, you could tell that Orlovsky actually has been watching the Bills play.  And Keyshawn clearly has been watching his twitter feed.

• Like (+1) 7