My hope for Brian Daboll

3 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I hope the same as you, although if we continue to dominate offensively as we have been, and Allen continues to shine, Daboll is history.  To take a quarterback coming out of college with as many deficiencies as people perceived him to have, and develop him into not just a franchise QB, but into a possible league MVP?  He's a goner, some team is going to pay him handsomely as a head coach. And you know what? He will have earned it.  

I'm in love with the way he's called these first three games. I know for a fact this isn't a flash in the pan dumb luck streak, Daboll knows what he's doing, and now he has the general he needs to run this offense through every defense we face. 

I'd hate to lose him, and I would love to see Terry and Kim throw the vault at him.  But if the offer comes his way, he would be wise to make the career move that 99 out of every 100 other coaches would make, and that would be to advance his career to become a head coach.  

I would also like to point out that JA has something to say about his development too.  Not like he is being wound up like a toy by Daboll and set out on the field.  The kid is working his butt off during the offseason, working like crazy during the season.  As good or as bad as BD has been his success has been predicated on the product on the field.  What happens when he has a lackluster QB with next to no tools at his disposal, ie a crappy line, no running game and weak receivers?  Methinks he won't be looking so good then.

This is not to degenerate nor down play the success BD is having but A LOT of his success is coming due to the product on the field including JA.  A LOT!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Daboll is staying until he takes his hometown team to the big dance minimum.

He would be foolish to take a NYJ/DET/etc job when he can be patient and get a top team that will come-a-courting.

You never know. Some guys have a limited window to becoming a HC and take their shot while they can.

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I would also like to point out that JA has something to say about his development too.  Not like he is being wound up like a toy by Daboll and set out on the field.  The kid is working his butt off during the offseason, working like crazy during the season.  As good or as bad as BD has been his success has been predicated on the product on the field.  What happens when he has a lackluster QB with next to no tools at his disposal, ie a crappy line, no running game and weak receivers?  Methinks he won't be looking so good then.

This is not to degenerate nor down play the success BD is having but A LOT of his success is coming due to the product on the field including JA.  A LOT!

I don't disagree with you at all.  To make the kind of progress that Josh has made this season, I don't care if you have Bellicheck as your HC, McVay as your OC, Peyton Manning as your QB coach.  You have to put the work in yourself.  And its obvious Allen has done this.  I think it's definitely a combination of the two, and that one benefits from the other.  Kind of reminds me of the great debate, who is better, Bellicheck as a coach, or Brady as a QB?  Would one be what he was if he didn't have the other?

No doubt Allen/Daboll make a great pair, and I'd love for them to remain together for the next 10+ years.  Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You never know. Some guys have a limited window to becoming a HC and take their shot while they can.

True and a log of guys get their chance on a bad team with bad owners and blow their chance.

Daboll knows what it's like to be an OC on crummy teams and if he learned his lesson he will have patience.

I think a good example is going down to college was a great long term move by him.

He can stay with Josh Allen and Beane/McDermott and keep winning which will keep that window open for a good while.

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  To make the kind of progress that Josh has made this season, I don't care if you have Bellicheck as your HC, McVay as your OC, Peyton Manning as your QB coach.  You have to put the work in yourself.  And its obvious Allen has done this.  I think it's definitely a combination of the two, and that one benefits from the other.  Kind of reminds me of the great debate, who is better, Bellicheck as a coach, or Brady as a QB?  Would one be what he was if he didn't have the other?

No doubt Allen/Daboll make a great pair, and I'd love for them to remain together for the next 10+ years.  Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

Not to mention the shiny toys JA has at his disposal.  Diggs, Brown, Cole, Motor.  Hard to pull off yesterdays game winner with out those folks on the field.  Yes I know Smoke wasn't there at the end but #13 sure was.  An awesome team right now.....

Go BILLS!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

...Between Allen's progress, the play-calling, and his connections to both Belichick and Saban, I think he'll be near the top of the list of coordinators that teams want to interview.

AND he will have been with the Bills for 3 of the 4 seasons that McD and Beane have been here. His involvement in a massive tear down and rebuild that by all accounts has been pretty successful will no doubt be viewed as invaluable by whatever team he ends up with. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lets go back to the 2019 Dallas Cowboys game shall we? Daboll was looking to be a head coach last year as Carolina was interested in him. Then the Ravens game happened and Allen was eaten alive by their constant blitzing...all the while Daboll kept calling for pass plays. The only team that interviewed him were the Cleveland Browns.

Daboll has "always" called more passing plays like he has a veteran QB behind center with a top offensive player core. Well, now this season Allen is looking like an all pro QB with Beasley, Brown, Diggs and even rookie Gabe Davis he has a top receiving core. You can even throw RB Singletary into that mix.

In my view Daboll should still be running the ball more and particularly in the second half of that Rams game as that interception sparked the Rams 29 point comeback.

Motor only has 10 more carries then Josh Allen at this point. Daboll has the Patriots playbook and yet he doesn't utilize the run game like the Patriots have done. Look at what they did against the Raiders this past week.

The Bills need to build their power run game enough to take over a game when needed IMO. 

Yes, Josh Allen has looked brilliant the first three weeks of the 2020 season and yes Brian Daboll has called some great games, so far. #4 total offense!

@Raiders, @Titans, Chiefs, Patriots, Seahawks, @ Cardinals, Chargers, @ 49ers, Steelers, @ Patriots yet to play. 

Anyway, like others have mentions I think its a bit early to be thinking end of season just yet as so many things could happen. For my take, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the next 13+ games and then think about what might transpire after the season. 

P.S. Ole googly eyes is probably gonna be fired before the Bills play them again in week 7. Gregg Williams will also probably take over...unless they really want to tank for Trevor Lawrence. Jets fans gotta be crying big time that they could have drafted Allen and chose Darnold. Come to think of it, 5 other teams are probably crying too. 

Texans are 0-3. Jags are 1-2. Denver is 0-3. Dallas 1-2, Eagles 0-2-1. Detroit 1-2, Minnesota 0-3. Atlanta 0-3. Gonna be lots of HCing jobs after this season.

5 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

We've all heard the talk about Daboll becoming a likely candidate for more head coaching interviews in the future, and that will likely continue as Josh Allen ascends.

I have to admit, I'm holding out a bit of hope that as the Bills continue to move into the top echelon of teams, that Daboll will pump the brakes on his own career aspirations and stay focused on bringing a championship to his hometown.

Or maybe, Pegula revisits his contract and sweetens it a bit in light of Allen's development?

Is this hope on my part completely irrational?

Only being heard here... which doesnt matter. He wont be HC next year anywhere don't worry.

Yeah, Inthink we all remember last year when we would have given him away.  Great play makes things a lot easier.  Allen has stepped up, Diggs was a huge add and the line is arguably better as well, so his schemes are easier to make happen.  When he wasn’t getting great play, he refused to adjust.  I’m not super sold on him.

23 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

My hope is that he gets a thank you for your work bonus from the Pegulas that encourages him to leave the AFC East and hopefully AFC.

My fear is that he takes the Jets HC job and he and Douglass fix Darnold or they can just take Trevor lawrence.

I think you guys are misconstruing between what Brandon Beane has done and Brian Daboll has done. 

Beane built that offense for Josh Allen, drafted RB *Devin Singletary, traded for Diggs, signed Brown, Beasley. Built that offensive line so Josh has time to throw it all over to all that talent. Honestly, I'm more worried about Beane getting stolen away by a team offering him to be president/GM. 

The New York Jets are a mess all over the roster and Daboll would be a fool to that that job when so many others will be better with better rosters. Like Atlanta with Matt Ryan to think of one.  JMO

Edited by Nihilarian

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

I think you guys are misconstruing between what Brandon Beane has done and Brian Daboll has done. 

Beane built that offense for Josh Allen, drafted RB Devon Singletary, traded for Diggs, signed Brown, Beasley. Built that offensive line so Josh has time to throw it all over to all that talent. Honestly, I'm more worried about Beane getting stolen away by a team offering him to be president/GM. 

The New York Jets are a mess all over the roster and Daboll would be a fool to that that job when so many others will be better with better rosters. Like Atlanta with Matt Ryan to think of one.  JMO

I dont see Beane going anywhere; not sure why youre more worried about him being stolen than daboll leaving.  

You said Daboll has called great games and I think we all agree Josh is definitely better this year.  Thats gonna get Daboll a ton of attention (whether you want to credit it to him or not).

Going into the year I didnt want Daboll as OC for 2021.  He either does what hes doing now and gets an HC gig or no improvement and were moving on (guess there is small chance for him to stick around while still being good).  

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Allen is by far the most important component to the offense. As long as he sticks around we should be fine. I don't think McDermott will allow an OC to come in and change things significantly.

This! 

It wasn't the offensive play calling that bailed the Bills out of that second half debacle. It was all Allen in finding the right receiver and getting him the ball, 3rd down and 22 are you kidding me!! 3rd and 25...

The play calling should have involved more run plays and that supposed interception most likely wouldn't have even happened. 

3 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I dont see Beane going anywhere; not sure why youre more worried about him being stolen than daboll leaving.  

You said Daboll has called great games and I think we all agree Josh is definitely better this year.  Thats gonna get Daboll a ton of attention (whether you want to credit it to him or not).

Going into the year I didnt want Daboll as OC for 2021.  He either does what hes doing now and gets an HC gig or no improvement and were moving on (guess there is small chance for him to stick around while still being good).  

Owners are going to be looking around at GMs to rebuild their fallen franchise. (Like the Jets) Look at what Beane has done in his drafts and pickups, trades. Look at his pick of Josh Allen as he managed to get the best of that draft and got the star starting MLB too. I'd be devastated to lose Beane at this point. This franchise hasn't been even close to this talented since Bill Polian! Beane is looking like a younger, better version.  

Daboll can be replaced far easier than Brandon Bean. 

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Owners are going to be looking around at GMs to rebuild their fallen franchise. (Like the Jets) Look at what Beane has done in his drafts and pickups, trades. Look at his pick of Josh Allen as he managed to get the best of that draft and got the star starting MLB too. I'd be devastated to lose Beane at this point. This franchise hasn't been even close to this talented since Bill Polian! Beane is looking like a younger, better version.  

Daboll can be replaced far easier than Brandon Bean. 

This makes no sense why would he want to go someplace else to rebuilding all over again when he's just getting to the point where he's going to be getting some results here? They're going to extend him only a matter of time.

• Like (+1) 1