My hope for Brian Daboll

We've all heard the talk about Daboll becoming a likely candidate for more head coaching interviews in the future, and that will likely continue as Josh Allen ascends.

I have to admit, I'm holding out a bit of hope that as the Bills continue to move into the top echelon of teams, that Daboll will pump the brakes on his own career aspirations and stay focused on bringing a championship to his hometown.

Or maybe, Pegula revisits his contract and sweetens it a bit in light of Allen's development?

Is this hope on my part completely irrational?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillnutinHouston said:

We've all heard the talk about Daboll becoming a likely candidate for more head coaching interviews in the future, and that will likely continue as Josh Allen ascends.

I have to admit, I'm holding out a bit of hope that as the Bills continue to move into the top echelon of teams, that Daboll will pump the brakes on his own career aspirations and stay focused on bringing a championship to his hometown.

Or maybe, Pegula revisits his contract and sweetens it a bit in light of Allen's development?

I hope the same as you, although if we continue to dominate offensively as we have been, and Allen continues to shine, Daboll is history.  To take a quarterback coming out of college with as many deficiencies as people perceived him to have, and develop him into not just a franchise QB, but into a possible league MVP?  He's a goner, some team is going to pay him handsomely as a head coach. And you know what? He will have earned it.  

I'm in love with the way he's called these first three games. I know for a fact this isn't a flash in the pan dumb luck streak, Daboll knows what he's doing, and now he has the general he needs to run this offense through every defense we face. 

I'd hate to lose him, and I would love to see Terry and Kim throw the vault at him.  But if the offer comes his way, he would be wise to make the career move that 99 out of every 100 other coaches would make, and that would be to advance his career to become a head coach.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It's not. You know who everyone's first pick for their new head coach is? The guy who taught the young QB how to be a franchise guy.  If Allen didn't get any better, Daboll would already be a lock for a head coaching spot next year. 

Yeah, like Eric Bienemy.  The guy that taught the young qb how to win mvp.....and super bowl mvp......and is still the OC.  Or Mark Roman, the guy that turned LJ into mvp.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, like Eric Bienemy.  The guy that taught the young qb how to win mvp.....and super bowl mvp......and is still the OC.  Or Mark Roman, the guy that turned LJ into mvp.  

Who do you think is getting more credit for Mahomes? Reid or Bienemy? I don't think anyone believes that Mahomes development is a product of Bienemy. 

Greg Roman, on the other hand, is a little closer. However, I dont' think the league respects LJ as a passer--teams are looking for guys that turn QBs into passers. 

These aren't applicable comparisons. 

29 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Not entirely. It happens sometime, and if the offense has a terrific year, Daboll will be in the driver's seat and might not find an opening that looks good enough. He might find that waiting a year or two to find the right chance could be the best strategy for him.

I mean, even if they offer it to you, is it a good idea to take the Jets job right now? Do you believe in the GM? A lot of times the teams looking for coaches are toxic environments. Now if you're a borderline candidate, you might take the job no matter what. But if your alternative is staying on a team for another year with Josh Allen as your QB, an excellent defense and head coach, and Josh Allen as your QB, you don't have to take every chance that comes along.

Funny that now that we've got a bunch of players on the offense who execute, he's a genius for the same fanbase that wanted to blame him for problems rather than say anything bad about Allen the past few years.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Daboll will be a head coach next year if the Bills stay on anything like this offensive pace. Very possible somewhere where they select Trevor Lawrence. Josh was a polarizing prospect around the NFL coming out. There will be teams who look at him now and, rightly or wrongly, give Daboll a huge amount of that credit.

EDIT: the only exception I will make is if the Bills go deep in the playoffs. The further you go and the longer teams have to wait the better chance you hold onto your assistant coaches. If the Bills make the AFCCG their chances of holding on to Daboll increase.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

That 1st half was again, amazing. When guys are wide open so often, it's the schemes. And there is sooooo much variety in the Bills offense, wow, hard to prepare for it. 3 games so far have had different styles and they all worked.

Of course now he has the weapons but he uses them fully.

Nobody controls if he'll be head coach or not so let's enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 2

Well, he already interviewed for Cleveland last year, right? I don’t think that bodes well for us getting some kind of hometown special treatment. I mean I’m sure we could sweeten the pot for him, and in reality probably should, if the success continues. Hate to lose the continuity and I’m not sure about Dorsey taking on full OC capabilities next year. Certainly can’t be mad about Daboll moving on either. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's possible both Daboll and Ken Dorsey get head coaching jobs. That would be the gut punch. Look at Ken Dorsey. A guy that has history and success coaching up modern QBs Cam Newton and Josh Allen. He'll get some calls.

Dorsey - not a chance.

I hope Mr. Daboll realizes that the grass is always greener on the other side..I hope for his sake he doesn’t jump at the first HC opportunity that presents itself.. Hopefully he doesn’t go to the Jets or the Browns or the Lions... He’s better off staying here and winning a ring with his hometown team.. because the Bills are contenders and that window is just opening up now.. We’re looking at a 10 year window to win a Championship under Josh Allen and this nitty gritty Sean McDermott team.. Now I understand if the Texans come calling... or maybe even the Falcons or whomever has the 1st overall pick and is in contention for Trevor Lawrence.. but my point is, don’t break up the gang in order for him to go to a crappy franchise that he’ll be out the door in 2 years time.. Better off staying here, improving his resumé for some of the better teams round the league.. may take a year, may take two years.. but I’d wait for the right opportunity if I were him.. Build your resumé now, he should have a top 5 offense year and year out if he stays here.. Wait until a good franchise comes calling..

59 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

no need to put a brake on his career. Win the championship for the Bills with Allen this season - then move to a HC gig elsewhere. Everyone gets what they want.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Who do you think is getting more credit for Mahomes? Reid or Bienemy? I don't think anyone believes that Mahomes development is a product of Bienemy. 

Greg Roman, on the other hand, is a little closer. However, I dont' think the league respects LJ as a passer--teams are looking for guys that turn QBs into passers. 

These aren't applicable comparisons. 

Bienemy isn’t an applicable comparison because you “don’t think anyone believes that Mahomes development is a product of bienemy”?  He isn’t an applicable comparison because it doesn’t fit your agenda.

lamar jackson led the league in td passes Last year and they don’t respect him as a passer.....in your opinion.  They respect him as a passer, they just have to respect his legs.  His legs help open up his passing.  Roman is part of the reason.  He isn’t an applicable comparison because it doesn’t fit your agenda.  Most people thought LJ was the perfect fit in Baltimore....because they knew Roman was the perfect coach for him.  He was and is.  He made him the mvp. 

Both are applicable comparisons.

that said, depending on how many coaching vacancies there are, I expect Daboll to be on several teams short lists.  Just like I expect Bienemy and Roman to be.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s a little too soon to consider this. 
Chiefs guy is probably the #1 hire right now. 
Don’t leave out Roman if Lamar stays at an mvp level. Seattle’s coordinator is game planning some genius stuff with Wilson to scheme their guys open. 
Lot of good offensive minds working so far this season, and we’re also not seeing much defense across the league. When things tighten up the cream will rise to the top 

Daboll will get a bunch of opportunities. I think the real positive thing is Dorsey, he is in his 2nd year, seems pretty involved and will rise to OC. Hopefully the Bills get 2-3 years out of him too. 

Promote from within enables them to keep the same system with minimal upheaval.