The one sentence Allen said that sums up why he has gone from raw prospect to verge of superstardom: "I just want it more than anything"

Big Turk

I watched and listened to him say that too and I do not think for a minute that he was just parroting what OBD coaches him to say. He wants it so bad he can taste it and that drive is a great thing, but also something Allen will need to wrap more control around and harness to use in productive ways.

Josh mentioned taking what the defense gave him, but I think if he is honest and once he calms down he will see that he could do a better job with that, particularly when he gets amped up in a game. He is going to have to figure out a way to take a deep breath and force himself away from the tendency to get "stuck" looking beyond the sticks for those huge chunks of yardage that his mind is screaming he needs to make up to get his team the win and actually take what the defense is giving on those earlier downs.

I say this only because I REALLY like our QB and I prefer him not running for his life and getting rocked (turning the ball over or injured) while waiting for things to develop 30 yards downfield when that is not necessary on those early downs - even in those 2-minute drills with the game on the line. Now if we screw ourselves with false starts (crowd noise??), or other penalties and put ourselves in a down and distance holes... then yeah I can see that Allen will need to perform some miracles to help dig us out.

Defenses like the Rams and the Patriots last year (prob others) do note when Allen starts playing more amped up and emotional. Then they like to drop everyone back to the sticks playing variations of quarters defense... or some other twist that puts a lot of coverage deep where Allen's eyes will tend to be.

This should open things up underneath for Josh to do a quick scamper to the sideline for a chunk of yards and stopping the clock, or soft spots in the zones underneath for better down and distance options, but Allen is no longer looking there. He is holding the ball longer looking for things to develop 20-30 yards downfield which allows the rush to get to him, and often puts the team in those 3rd or 4th and 22, or some other statistically low percentage situation. That forces Allen to do those things very few QBs can do like that frozen rope to Beasley for all those yards in the middle of 3-4 Ram defenders to pick up the first, but it does not have to be that hard if he walks himself back a bit from the ledge earlier.

I think he realized that during that last drive and forced himself to not just chuck the ball over and over into the end zone - he mentioned as much, but now he just needs to improve on that some more.

I would rather my QB have that fire, but Allen needs to temper that with the "ice in his veins" that McD spoke of and do some self-scouting of what his tendencies are and how defenses are exploiting those when Allen feels the heat (when other team takes the lead, or a bad call or turnover, or final minutes with team in a hole). He is an amazing QB and will only get better as he recognizes these things and takes the steps to correct them and continues to grow. 

Edited by WideNine

One thing I believe so much more concretely than anything else is that when Allen's career is over, he will have broken all of Kelly's records, by a long shot.  The passing game has evolved so much from the 90's.  I was shocked when I read that no other QB in Buffalo history had ever thrown for 400 yards with 4 touchdowns and no int's.   Like really??  I lived through all four super bowl years, and back then I thought our offense was "prolific", and "unparalleled".  I coulda sworn Kelly did that at least once right?  Nope. 

So yeah, it's gonna happen.....and then you figure, he's only 24 freakin years old....holy smokes...

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:59 AM, matter2003 said:

When asked how he is able to make plays and come through in the clutch late in the 4th quarter so often when his team needs him, Allen just said "I just want it more than anything." That simple answer basically tells you everything you need to know about why Allen has improved so much in such a short time and in ways that many never thought possible.

Allen's mindset is one of belief and confidence in himself mixed with an insatiable hunger to improve and get better which leads to tirelessly working on improvements and refinements to his game.  Allen is only scratching the surface of what he can become and it is already looking pretty damned good...

I predict Allen leads this team to its first Super Bowl victory within the next 5 years.  

I also predict that Allen will take the reigns from Kelly as the best QB ever to play for the Bills by the time his career is over.

GIF with sound below

https://gfycat.com/caringnastyalabamamapturtle

Edited by TwistofFate

On 9/28/2020 at 8:28 AM, Luka said:

I keep seeing Favre comparisons so maybe a lot of you are too young to have seen Steve Young play. Because that's who Josh reminds me of more than anyone.

I've been saying that same thing too people, he reminds me of a bigger more athletic steve young except with elite arm strength. 

The ability to overcome injury is the hallmark of every NFL QB. 

Kelly - knee, back and shoulder injuries. 
Montana - back injury

Manning - neck injury
Brady - ACL injury

Brees - shoulder / elbow injury 

Big Ben - elbow injury surgery 

Elway - no left ACL blown out in the 70s in high school, torn biceps 1997
Young - concussions 

Aikman - concussions 

Favre - Iron Man & pain killers to play through countless injuries, drug abuse, alcohol abuse 

Rodgers - broken collarbone / clavicle

Mahomes - dislocated kneecap 2019

Watson - ACL 2017

Allen - overcame a right elbow injury which could have derailed his entire career if it was more severe. Thankfully Allen is a tough competitive player. 

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

The ability to overcome injury is the hallmark of every NFL QB. 

Kelly - knee, back and shoulder injuries. 
Montana - back injury

Manning - neck injury
Brady - ACL injury

Brees - shoulder / elbow injury 

Big Ben - elbow injury surgery 

Elway - no left ACL blown out in the 70s in high school, torn biceps 1997
Young - concussions 

Aikman - concussions 

Favre - Iron Man & pain killers to play through countless injuries, drug abuse, alcohol abuse 

Rodgers - broken collarbone / clavicle

Mahomes - dislocated kneecap 2019

Watson - ACL 2017

Allen - overcame a right elbow injury which could have derailed his entire career if it was more severe. Thankfully Allen is a tough competitive player. 

In Allen's first game starting at Wyoming he broke his collarbone and was done for a year. This was after finally getting to division 1 he has to sit the year. Comes back and has the year that got him talked about as a #1 overall pick.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/28/2020 at 12:59 PM, Shaw66 said:

Obviously, we're all getting ahead of ourselves, but what you say is correct.  Allen is threatening the game - he's showing people that he can play QB at a level no one has ever seen.  

As for the Favre comparison, yes, he has the attitude and moxie that Favre had.  But ask Favre, drunk or sober, about Allen, and I'm sure he'd say, "Man, I wish I had that arm and body."  Allen can do stuff that Favre could only dream about.  

More than the "I want it more than anything," Allen's defining quote is "I need to get better at ________" because whatever it is that's filling in that blank is the thing that's going to get better, and soon.

29 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

More than the "I want it more than anything," Allen's defining quote is "I need to get better at ________" because whatever it is that's filling in that blank is the thing that's going to get better, and soon.

I keep thinking back to what McDermott and Beane said the night they drafted Allen.  Remember?  They were really excited, because Edmunds had just fallen to them, and Beane said he never imagined that he'd last that long.   But it was what they said about Allen that was amazing.

They talked about him like he was the #1 guy on their board.   They said the physical tools were obvious, but it was the interviews with him that made them realize he was the total package.  He had the nice Wonderlic, but the interview with him, maybe over a mean, when he got comfortable, that's when they figured out that Allen had the fire they wanted.   Not just the on-field fire, but the desire to get better all the time.  

You could tell that McBeane were sure they had a winner.  It was exciting just to listen to them.   Now, here we are in the beginning of Allen's third season, and we're seeing all those things that McBeane talked about

As I keep saying, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.  He hasn't accomplished anything yet, and he has a lot to learn.  But now it's becoming clear to more and more people what could be coming. 

One more thing about the draft.  Think back to the night.  Mayfield was just about everyone's #1 quarterback - athletic, emotional leader, competitor.   And there, sitting there for the Browns and the Giants and the Jets was a guy who had all that Mayfield had, plus raw physical talents that blow Mayfield off the field.  That was an amazing night for Buffalo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1