The one sentence Allen said that sums up why he has gone from raw prospect to verge of superstardom: "I just want it more than anything"

Big Turk

When asked how he is able to make plays and come through in the clutch late in the 4th quarter so often when his team needs him, Allen just said "I just want it more than anything." That simple answer basically tells you everything you need to know about why Allen has improved so much in such a short time and in ways that many never thought possible.

Allen's mindset is one of belief and confidence in himself mixed with an insatiable hunger to improve and get better which leads to tirelessly working on improvements and refinements to his game.  Allen is only scratching the surface of what he can become and it is already looking pretty damned good...

I predict Allen leads this team to its first Super Bowl victory within the next 5 years.  

I also predict that Allen will take the reigns from Kelly as the best QB ever to play for the Bills by the time his career is over.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

When asked how he is able to make plays and come through in the clutch late in the 4th quarter so often when his team needs him, Allen just said "I just want it more than anything." That simple answer basically tells you everything you need to know about why Allen has improved so much in such a short time and in ways that many never thought possible.

Allen's mindset is one of belief and confidence in himself mixed with an insatiable hunger to improve and get better which leads to tirelessly working on improvements and refinements to his game.  Allen is only scratching the surface of what he can become and it is already looking pretty damned good...

I predict Allen leads this team to its first Super Bowl victory within the next 5 years.  

I also predict that Allen will take the reigns from Kelly as the best QB ever to play for the Bills by the time his career is over.

If you watched it and didn't feel emotional, than your stronger than me. That wasn't empty coach speak, that was 100% sincere!

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I say this without a drip of hyperbole: is he the most exciting quarterback to ever play the game?  That seems over the tope--I know--but I can't think of anyone that is more of a roller coaster ride.   

I hate to make the comparison- mostly because everyone uses him as a comparable with every gunslinger, but it reminds me of Favre magic.

The supreme talent coupled with an unorthodox style, inventiveness, jubilance in playing the game, has plenty of head-scratching throws, but can just make the magic happen on shear will alone.

This kid is fixing to be a true superstar, and is already the talk of the league after 3 games.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I hate to make the comparison- mostly because everyone uses him as a comparable with every gunslinger, but it reminds me of Favre magic.

The supreme talent coupled with an unorthodox style, inventiveness, jubilance in playing the game, has plenty of head-scratching throws, but can just make the magic happen on shear will alone.

This kid is fixing to be a true superstar, and is already the talk of the league after 3 games.

I didn't really see Farve in his prime, but based on that description alone, the compairson is apt. 

When I saw the OP's comment I thought of a business book that I read many years ago.  It was written by a person that built a sports agent company.  His observations about the mindset of a champion reminded me of Allen (and other high performers).  I found it on my bookshelf and here's some insights from the writer Mark McCormack.  

"The true champions, the legends, the upper one percent who consistently dominate their opponents perform at a high level at the most crucial times. Skills and a supreme confidence are part of it but they are not the determining factors.  Most players when they reach the professional level are already blessed with an abundance of both.  

The true champions edge exists solely in the mind.  I have observed three traits in every superstar I have known.

1. The champions profound sense of dissatisfaction with their own accomplishments.  They use any success or victory as a spur to greater ambition. Any goal reached becomes the next step towards a greater more 'unreachable' one.

2. The ability to peak their performance, to get themselves up for major events or contests. 

3. Their ability to put away their opponents.  This is the 'killer instinct; but this tells more about the result than what goes on mentally.  In the champions mind he is never ahead.  He is always coming from behind even when the score indicates he is destroying the opponent.  He never believes he is performing as well as he actually is."

I think this all describes Josh Allen's mentality pretty well. 

I'll add one of my own to the list for Josh.  The ability to motivate and command his team to adopt and use the same mindset on Sunday.  You can see his personality become the team's personality over the course of his time as QB. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, George C said:

Tap the brakes people...for Josh’s sake.

Josh is becoming an unstoppable tank, but there is a lot of football to be played and lots to be learned. 

Agreed, but I have no doubt he will learn it and learn it well...

• Thank you (+1) 1

To me Josh Allen is a more athletic, stronger armed version of Roethlisberger. Ben Ro displayed that clutch gene many of times, their stature is the same, and some of the throws are eerily similar. He does however have that Brett Favre-esque love for the game where Ben has typically been less emotional. The young man is special either way and the results we see on the field are just scratching the surface of the potential we drafted him for. 

38 minutes ago, George C said:

Tap the brakes people...for Josh’s sake.

Josh is becoming an unstoppable tank, but there is a lot of football to be played and lots to be learned. 

Yeah? Well that is exciting too! We know that how good he already is, he will still improve!

And since day 1 Josh is ENTERTAINMENT. 

My "fear" for Josh was NOT that he would be a bust. I've always believed in him for some reason. But that he would be good or very good but not great. Like many QBs in the league you don't really want to fire but won't take you to the highest levels. Hell, I think Goff for example is one of those. I don't have that fear, and haven't had for a while. He'll be great or die trying!

Edited by Jerome007

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

To me Josh Allen is a more athletic, stronger armed version of Roethlisberger. Ben Ro displayed that clutch gene many of times, their stature is the same, and some of the throws are eerily similar. He does however have that Brett Favre-esque love for the game where Ben has typically been less emotional. The young man is special either way and the results we see on the field are just scratching the surface of the potential we drafted him for. 

Ben also started off throwing rockets, like Josh, and has since developed a great touch pass. I'd say at this point, Ben's touch is more of a weapon than his arm strength (no pun intended).

That floater he threw to Diggs along the sideline where Diggs disguised it and just let the ball float into his hands was a thing of beauty. Same last week on the route where Diggs came all the way across the field to the other sideline. 

High level of trust between those two right now and hopefully that keeps improving over time. 

Edited by Captain_Quint

7 minutes ago, Luka said:

I keep seeing Favre comparisons so maybe a lot of you are too young to have seen Steve Young play. Because that's who Josh reminds me of more than anyone.

Weren't they contemporaries??

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Lots of guys “want it more than anything.”  He’s succeeding because he has tremendous talent.

Do they?  Saying you want it more than anything and then SHOWING BY YOUR ACTIONS you want it more than anything are 2 different things. Lots of 300 lb people want more than anything to lose 100 lbs. How many are willing to go through with it and put in the effort to actually do it? Most of the time it is a pipe dream because thoughts don't lead to actions and even when they do, rarely do they lead to the type of "whatever it takes" action and effort that Allen puts into it.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Young was drafted in 84, Favre in 92. Young retired in 99 and Favre in 2010. So... no. Not really.

There was some overlap...but Young was already in the middle of his career when Favre was a rookie.