Should the Bills bring in Marcel Dareus?

PromoTheRobot

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would be happy with decent shape and taking a month to get into real game shape. I have always liked Dareus, I hope he has one more run in him.

If he has any pride in his career, he would have his scent reaching out to the Bills and give a bunch of BS about fully believing in the process.  He could earn one nice final paycheck if he could play the way he was capable of 

• Like (+1) 1

I doubt he has much interest in playing this year, it’s very likely there is offset language in his contract so he would be making the same for playing or not.  I’m not sure exactly how they restructured the deal in Jax, but he’s still counting on their dead cap for the $2.5M signing bonus.  If not, anything he picks up would be bonus cash, but the guy has made over $70M in guaranteed money for his career, probably more than that in reality.  He doesn’t seem like an “I love football enough to play for free” type of guy.  He’s also 30, so he’s near the end of his days, might be able to squeeze one more contract out, but it’s going to be a prove it deal, this year or next, either way.  If he comes in looking like crap this year, probably the end for him.  So unless he’s healthy, and WANTS to play, I doubt you see him in the NFL this year.

If he’s ready and willing, I’d pay him.  The hole left by losing an average 1 tech is substantial, bordering on sad.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it ended poorly with him in Buffalo. And once he left he kind of disappeared. But man we can’t stop the run. This guy might be worth the risk. Bring him back on the extreme cheap and hope Jerry Hughes can keep him in line. He would probably help us a lot inside.

No.

Dareus is unemployed because he is unemployable.

Find someone else.

53 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it ended poorly with him in Buffalo. And once he left he kind of disappeared. But man we can’t stop the run. This guy might be worth the risk. Bring him back on the extreme cheap and hope Jerry Hughes can keep him in line. He would probably help us a lot inside.

They were teammates in 2016, and that included a suspension for Dareus due to substances, did it not?  Why would it work out better this time?

Players like Dareus and Manuel and Goodwin and Gilmore and Watkins (etc, etc, etc) were of a horrible period of Bills' past.  I hope that they never return here.

8 minutes ago, Groin said:

They were teammates in 2016, and that included a suspension for Dareus due to substances, did it not?  Why would it work out better this time?

Players like Dareus and Manuel and Goodwin and Gilmore and Watkins (etc, etc, etc) were of a horrible period of Bills' past.  I hope that they never return here.

I don’t know, maybe because he is older? Do people ever learn as they grow? 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

i'm sure he's grown fatter.  

with a guy like dareus, i'd be shocked if he stayed close to anything resembling playing shape.  i could be wrong, but why has not anyone even given him a sniff?

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Maybe they do, but notable also is that Dareus is out of the league currently.  If there were takers, one would think that they'd have jumped already.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not only included suspension, but featured them both involved in a drag race that wound up with Dareus 2012 Jaguar impaled on a tree.

Ah yeah.  I forgot about that tidbit.  Bills of that era?  Good times, good times.  </sarcasm>

Just now, teef said:

i'm sure he's grown fatter.  

with a guy like dareus, i'd be shocked if he stayed close to anything resembling playing shape.  i could be wrong, but why has not anyone even given him a sniff?

Does Dareus even want to play? 

I had the impression that at the time when Buffalo was moving on from him, he'd accumulated enough $$ to be set for life and any "fire in his belly" to be great had burnt down to a flickering ember or two.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had the impression that at the time when Buffalo was moving on from him, he'd accumulated enough $$ to be set for life and any "fire in his belly" to be great had burnt down to a flickering ember or two.

exactly.  i think football has run its course for dareus, and that's ok.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

exactly.  i think football has run its course for dareus, and that's ok.  

I think that football regularly ran its course for him -- when he was still playing here and in Jax.  He was a guy that I always hoped would be aces, but it was such a disappointment.

I did like his sailor hat a LOT though.  And I wonder if I'll see him on the Food Network at some point.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

How has this thread come back to life again?

It's a franchise, just like the "Walking Dead".

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:48 AM, DCofNC said:

I doubt he has much interest in playing this year, it’s very likely there is offset language in his contract so he would be making the same for playing or not.  I’m not sure exactly how they restructured the deal in Jax, but he’s still counting on their dead cap for the $2.5M signing bonus.  If not, anything he picks up would be bonus cash, but the guy has made over $70M in guaranteed money for his career, probably more than that in reality.  He doesn’t seem like an “I love football enough to play for free” type of guy.  He’s also 30, so he’s near the end of his days, might be able to squeeze one more contract out, but it’s going to be a prove it deal, this year or next, either way.  If he comes in looking like crap this year, probably the end for him.  So unless he’s healthy, and WANTS to play, I doubt you see him in the NFL this year.

If he’s ready and willing, I’d pay him.  The hole left by losing an average 1 tech is substantial, bordering on sad.

Star is anything but average.  I think that would be very apparent to anyone who didn't have a problem admitting they were wrong.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The fire in his belly was likely smothered by food or hookers.