FMIA W Peter King lead is about Josh Allen ppl

CorkScrewHill

I’ve probably seen and read more talking football heads this week than ever, and the Bills appreciation bandwagon is picking up steam. Roasting one of the best CBs not once but twice in a “we’re all watching to see if the Bills can beat a legit team” game, will be all over the highlights. Allen gave them soooo many awesome plays to pick from:

spin move, 3-22, sideline throws, being thrown to ground like a rag doll, unsportsmanlike penalty, face mask, 5 gorgeous TDs, avoiding sacks, taking big sacks, toe drag swag...  More.  That game was a cornucopia of Josh Allen plays.  

me likey. Welcome to the JA experience Peter. 

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The best thing I read today was a fans' amazement at watching Allen grab a defender by the facemask and use him as a human shield against another defender. 😄

Right I know it would of been better for Allen to avoid these negative plays but he was like a monster out there and just wouldn't go down, which probably is why Donald decided to throw him like a frisbee.

4 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

The big leap he has taken this year just shows us how hard he does work in the offseason. I love his will to win and what he will do in order to win. 

Yea the kid's commitment to his craft is absolutely top drawer. And I think most of us expected Josh to take another step this year. But you are correct, this isn't a step. Year 1 to year 2 was a step. This is a LEAP.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen, quarterback, Buffalo. The mark of a maturing quarterback verging on true greatness is getting slapped in the face, then slugged in the face, then coming back with a classic 75-yard drive with everything on the line against an undefeated team with the best defensive player in football terrorizing him. Josh Allen did that, capping a game-winning drive against the Rams with a three-yard TD pass to tight end Tyler Kroft with 15 seconds left. Bills 35, Rams 32, and the Bills are 3-0. Allen continues to prove he’s not only one of the best young quarterbacks in football, but also one of the best quarterbacks in football.

This is so well put.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

PK mentions the "ticky-tack" PI call on the 4th down.....but fails to mention the blown INT call on the Kroft play. 

They BOTH were shaky calls

Nice article.  Not sure I would put Wilson and Newton as "young" QB's.  Kind of surprised to see both as 31

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/28/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-nfl-week-3-fmia-peter-king/

Some nice tidbits re how Josh is happy they won but pissed that they squandered the big lead and break down of some key plays.

not a Peter King fan myself but it is a good read

I really like Peter King.  He's got access to a ton of players, coaches, and execs and can write better than the average sportswriter.  

It's true that despite all that, his analyses and predictions are often wrong.  I remember when we first hired Buddy Nix to be our GM, King thought we should have gone instead after a bright up-and-comer named Doug Whaley who he believed would become a great GM.  

So I don't pay much attention to his predictions but his insider information is awesome.  This was the first I heard of Allen's relationship with Romo. 

28 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

They BOTH were shaky calls

Nice article.  Not sure I would put Wilson and Newton as "young" QB's.  Kind of surprised to see both as 31

Not at all. Simultaneous possession goes to the offensive player.  That is clear-cut. As for the PI call, at the very least it was illegal contact which is still first and goal but 5 yards back.

• Like (+1) 4

King has his pluses and minuses, as we all do.  But he is a good writer, tells a good story, gets his facts right, and gets good material from others, like the stuff from Romo about Josh.  

What gripes me, and this is just personal, is that so many people are talking about this big jump Allen has made and how all the off-season work transformed him.   I think that's a false narrative.  Like Romo said, he didn't tell Allen much of anything at all.  And like Palmer said, they just worked on a little things.  

What gripes is that people write like what's happening to Allen is some great surprise.   It was perfectly obvious that Allen was on his way to near the top 10 of the passer list - not obvious that he'd be a premier QB, and he hasn't shown that yet - but obvious that he was not going to stay mired around #20 or worse.  Why was it obvious:  (1) physical talent, (2) work ethic, (3) brains, and (4) leadership.   That all was on display his rookie season.  Before the end of the rookie season it was clear that McDermott and Beane had identified in Allen all of the necessary ingredients to success before they drafted him.  They said it the night they  drafted him, and we all could see it his rookie season.  

Now, everyone's saying how great he is and talking about what a big jump he's made, when what that really means is that they didn't see in Allen what has been there to see for two years, so it feels like a surprise to them.  What it really means is that their analysis of who's good is based on stats and wins and nothing much else.  People who were watching and thinking, like Chris Simms, saw it earlier.  

The most interesting comment I've seen about Allen was in some column someone posted last week where the writer said that the league is waking up to the fact that Josh Allen can do things on a football field that no one else can.   He's a talent on a whole different level.  I hadn't thought about it that way, but I think yesterday's game showed it.  That play he got called for the face mask?  He's a monster.  What other QB in the league stands up to an assault like that (completely legal assault) and fights back like that?  He was getting chased and knocked around back there on a lot of plays, and he stayed upright longer than any QB has a right to expect.  That quality makes him different - BIg Ben was like that, but Allen is better than Ben was in terms of just being too big and tough to handle.

But what's really special about Allen, what makes him unique, is his arm strength, and I do think that this is where the tinkering with his mechanics has helped.   Allen's arm strength is so great that he threw the ball any way he wanted and it pretty much always got to where he wanted it to go, but he didn't have the accuracy he wanted.  What seems to have happened is that he's focused on getting his body positioned so that he can get good hip and shoulder rotation.   He doesn't really need the rotation, he's so strong, and on several throws yesterday you could see that if he got to the right position, he didn't rotate a lot, but having that mechanical discipline gets his arm to the right place, and his accuracy has improved.  What we're seeing now is that Allen can identify a crosser 18-20 yards down field and almost instantly release a dart with accuracy, because he doesn't need a full throwing motion to do it.  Guys like Rodgers and Mahomes have a quick release and a decent arm, so they make some similar throws, but Allen now can release the ball just as quickly and throw it with clearly more pace.   And those deep crossers to the sideline, like the throw to Davis yesterday (yes, it could have been a better throw, but it was darn good), by getting his hips and shoulders even partially set Allen now can just flip the ball down there, give it plenty of air and drop into tight windows.  

There simply isn't a QB in the league who can match him physically.  As I said, Ben earlier in his career.  Vick wasn't as strong but was a better pure runner, and he had an arm nearly as good as Allen's.  Point is, athletically, Allen is a rare talent.  What's happening, what's been happening now for three seasons, is that Allen's other characteristics - his brains, his work ethic and his leadership skills, are driving his performance.   So we see glimpses for a half of what is going to become more and more regular - a QB who just slices and dices defenses.  A QB who has every answer in his head and who has a body that can deliver.  

I've said all along that he's likely to really hit his stride around his fifth season - that's when he'll really be processing the game in his head, when he'll see much more than he's seeing now, when he'll be running into trouble less, seeing the best target more often.    

We're just seeing the beginning of Allen's greatness.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the kid's commitment to his craft is absolutely top drawer. And I think most of us expected Josh to take another step this year. But you are correct, this isn't a step. Year 1 to year 2 was a step. This is a LEAP.

Hate to use the Madden analogy, but this is like having a player with a low floor (65ish sounds right for Allen: Year One) but a max ceiling. Year 1-2 was a 10 point jump, what we're seeing this year (if sustained) is like a 20 point jump that makes him elite, no more complaints about his Madden ratings.

Hyberpole aside, assuming his progress continues what is truly salivating is that he will continue to improve, e.g. reading the field and getting the ball out quicker when he needs to. And he's more aware than the critics are of what needs improvement.

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The most interesting comment I've seen about Allen was in some column someone posted last week where the writer said that the league is waking up to the fact that Josh Allen can do things on a football field that no one else can.   He's a talent on a whole different level.  I hadn't thought about it that way, but I think yesterday's game showed it. 

This. The facemask (legit) penalty he took yesterday? At the end of the sequence the colour commentary guy gasps "This... is a strong man..." How many QBs can do that? Getting dragged down, and still strong enough to defend themselves by tearing at another strong man's helmet, while securing the football in his other hand?

I'm drunk off the Koolaid (and completely hungover) right now, but we're scratching the surface of the freak things Allen can do. If he keeps this up, his lifetime highlights reel will include such videogame nonsense as:

- slowly brought down by several defenders at midfield, taken off his feet, while uncorking an all-arm bomb into the middle of the endzone

- 40 yard rushing TD, dragging a safety and a CB on his back

- Dallas redux: did the QB just out-physical the entire D-line?

- the Josh Allen: easily throwing 60 yard all air dimes from the Bills 35

These are the ravings from a fan who is a little too high over a Week 3 win, but right now Josh Allen's comparable is Superman.