Name your 3 most pleasant surprises and 3 biggest disappointments

GreggTX

3 most pleasant surprises

1. The scale of Josh Allen's improvement -- I'm not surprised that he has taken another step in his progress because he hasn't. He's taken 3 steps. Fix that fumbling problem and he's elite.

2. Darryl Williams -- I thought he'd never play at this level again after that awful knee injury. Thanks Panthers.

3. Team character -- Whatever McDermott is doing to build morale, it's off the charts. These guys never quit.

3 biggest disappointments

1. We're giving up too many points. That's pretty obvious, but I think that if this continues, we may see McDermott take over the playcalling for the D. As a defense first old schooler, this is hard to take.

2. Injuries -- We've finally started putting it all together. I hope we can stay healthy from here on out.

3. There is no number 3. I was going to mention Bass, but he seems to be settling in now.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

Pleasant surprises:

1) Josh Allen's progress. I was optimistic he would improve but he has gone from average starter to MVP level. His accuracy to all levels of the field this year has been unreal.

2) Gabe Davis already making game changing plays as a 4th round rookie WR. 2 weeks in a row he makes veteran plays in the endzone, last week an incredible catch and this week draws the PI.

3) Daboll is calling excellent games so far. I wavered on him last year, there were just too many questionable stretches of play calling. This year he is scheming guys open and keeping the offense so versatile it's impossible to defend everything. 3 TD passes to Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith says it all.

Disappointments:

1) Knox still can't hold onto the ball. I love his athletic profile and was optimistic he would improve but so far he is the same player as last year. He looks like he is 2 years away from reaching his full potential if he ever does.

2) Edmunds suddenly can't tackle in the open field and looks as lost in pass coverage as he does against the run. He has arguably regressed. Hopefully it's just the injury. McDermott's scheme relies on him defending the pass well.

3) Harrison Phillips has been poor so far. I thought last year he was playing very well against the run, this year he's getting blown off the ball. We needed him and Butler to make up for Star opting out and so far it isn't happening.

• Like (+1) 3

Surprises (I'll go past the obvious):

• Williams play at RT
  • Davis would be a 2 or 3 receiver on many other teams
  • Milano really is that important to the D

Disappointments:

• It seems to me Tre is getting beat too many times
  • Edmunds - It looked like he was favoring his shoulder at time yesterday, especially when tackling
  • The entire D-line, just not playing to the level we were expecting

NOTE: The good news, all those disappointments can be fixed.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Pleasant surprises:

1) Josh Allen's progress. I was optimistic he would improve but he has gone from average starter to MVP level. His accuracy to all levels of the field this year has been unreal.

2) Gabe Davis already making game changing plays as a 4th round rookie WR. 2 weeks in a row he makes veteran plays in the endzone, last week an incredible catch and this week draws the PI.

3) Daboll is calling excellent games so far. I wavered on him last year, there were just too many questionable stretches of play calling. This year he is scheming guys open and keeping the offense so versatile it's impossible to defend everything. 3 TD passes to Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith says it all.

Disappointments:

1) Knox still can't hold onto the ball. I love his athletic profile and was optimistic he would improve but so far he is the same player as last year. He looks like he is 2 years away from reaching his full potential if he ever does.

2) Edmunds suddenly can't tackle in the open field and looks as lost in pass coverage as he does against the run. He has arguably regressed. Hopefully it's just the injury. McDermott's scheme relies on him defending the pass well.

3) Harrison Phillips has been poor so far. I thought last year he was playing very well against the run, this year he's getting blown off the ball. We needed him and Butler to make up for Star opting out and so far it isn't happening.

I actually think this is the nail on the head on all counts. I was less down on Daboll last year than most but accepted this year was put up or shut up time. He has done an incredible job through three weeks and crucially he and Josh are absolutely in sync. They went toe to toe yesterday with arguably the most in sync HC-QB duo in the league and that takes a play caller and Quarterback who are on the same page.

Agree with all your disappointments too. Edmunds has really struggled through the two games he has played. Actually looks like a step backwards from year 2 at this point but still very early. And I did think people were expecting too much from Harrison coming off the injury. No Bueno so far. I think Butler has been better though clearly not perfect himself.

Good

1)  Allen

2)  Davis

3)  Williams at RT and Ford at Guard

DIsappointment

1) Edmunds

2) White

3) Pass rush

One thing that I was noticing is that it is not just Buffalo and that defenses across the board are giving up large amount of points so far.  I wonder how much of it has to do with the unusual circumstances of the season?

23 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Good

1)  Allen

2)  Davis

3)  Williams at RT and Ford at Guard

DIsappointment

1) Edmunds

2) White

3) Pass rush

One thing that I was noticing is that it is not just Buffalo and that defenses across the board are giving up large amount of points so far.  I wonder how much of it has to do with the unusual circumstances of the season?

It has everything to do with the NFL allowing offensive holding for all teams not just the Patriots this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Surprise:

1. Allen, I've like him a lot, even in his rookie year, but this performance has to be beyond anyone's expectations... #Allen4MVP

2. Daboll, just calling beautiful games.  On the first scoring drive, first & goal from the 1 and three throws with no attempt to rush it in with Allen... #FirstTime

3. WRs, all of them are just ballin'.  No weaknesses...  #DukeWho

Disappointment:

1. DT play, admit it, you never thought you would miss Star.... #EdWho

2. Frazier, where are the defensive adjustments that we see when they're playing well?   #FixIT

3. Rookies, we're used to having strong draft classes that are contributing early...  #JustGabe

Edited by cage

Surprises

1. I gotta go with Allen although it’s not really all that big of a surprise. He just needed weapons. I told everyone last year that the only difference between Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes is Mahomes has all the weapons in the world 

2. Brian Dabol. I was calling for his head many times last year. I love the play calling so far

3.  Offensive Line. I’m giving them a pass yesterday because Aaron Donald is just a ***** beast. Allen has had time to throw the ball. The running backs are picking up big chunks of yardage. We have so much depth there it’s ridiculous

Disappointments

1. Tre White. There’s chatter he’s been playing hurt. If that’s the case then I’ll move him down to 3 but he’s been not that great. He’s held to a higher standard now because of his contract

2. Ed Oliver. I’m not sure if I have heard his name called at all these first 3 weeks. I think he misses having Star next to him

3. No fans at games. This is a no brainer. Just imagine the atmosphere at the Ralph at the end of that game yesterday. Hopefully the next home game we can be there 

• Like (+1) 1

Surprise

1 Dabol calling great games so far

2 Allens crazy good start

3 Diggs presence

Dissapoints

1 Defense

2 Bad refereeing, seems worse than ever

3 McD still getting out coached by better coaches. Way too often he goes conservative and has no answer for the opponents adjustments, Josh Allen won that game yesterday in spite of McDs gaffs. Allen is a stud and baller with freakish skills, he's carrying this team and McD better get better.  

Pleasant Surprises:

- Allen to Diggs looking like they have played together for years. 

- Tyler Kroft and all the other tight ends not named Dawson Knox making big plays in the Red Zone.

- O-Line play has been mostly stellar when not facing Aaron Donald.

Disappointments:

- Tremaine Edmunds. Will the light bulb ever go on for this guy? He is never in the right place at the right time. 

- Defense in general has been spotty. 

- Rookies excepting Gabe Davis, though it is early and there was no preseason. 

1. We're giving up too many points. That's pretty obvious, but I think that if this continues, we may see McDermott take over the playcalling for the D. As a defense first old schooler, this is hard to take.

If you see McDermotts defense, they always give up the big points early in the season and then they tighten things up.  Rams offense will be one of the few high scoring offense this team will see this year.  So that is done and dusted...now they can make the adjustments before the Chiefs come into town.

three up:

1. The Josh Allen Experience coming to a  fanless stadium near you

2. Stefan Diggs

3. Gabe Davis

three down:

1. Run defense 

2. Mr "Tackling me is going to be a business decision" Moss

3. Injuries..  players are hurt way too early

13 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Surprise

1 Dabol calling great games so far

I think he still needs to get the run game going.  We are not able to put teams away with these big leads by dominating the run game.   There was no reason for Josh to play hero ball at the end of the 3rd quarter if our run game could be dominant.

Good

1) Always been an Allen supporter, but his improvement has even surprised me.

2) The offense overall.  Last year we couldn't depend on a long drive at any time.  Now we are seeing plently of them.

3) Offensive line. Yes Donald had some big plays against them but who doesn't he have big plays against?  Generally have been giving Allen lots of time to throw.

Bad

1) Run defense. I don't know how bad Edmunds injury is, but teams having too much success running up the middle.

2)  Pass rush leaving a lot to be desired.  Two of the QB's we've played got rid of ball very quickly, but we're gonna need more presssure to have future success.

3)  NYS not letting the 12th man have any fans at games even being in one of the best covid controlled areas.  Hopefully  they will let us start to have 15,000 or so from now on cause the next home game is a national Thursday night game against the Superbowl champion Chiefs!