Its time for these Josh hating "experts" to ask for their crow

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's a stretch, myself.  The best outcome would have been a throwaway: no penalty, no loss of yards, no risk of injury to Allen's arm.

But that's just not Allen's first instinct.

The real need is to sort the protection issues.

I agree that he should have thrown it away, but by the time he committed the face mask penalty that option was gone.

45 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Why necropost a draft day thread? There was a ton of emotion during that draft for our fans. I flat out wanted Rosen or Lamar Jackson with the pick and voiced my displeasure as well in so thread. It's apart of being a fan man, especially if you bleed blue like a large majority of our forum members do.

Within 24hrs after the JA pick, I fully supported the FO and JA 100% and have not looked back.

Why?  Well, for one, it's pretty funny.  But sometimes it's actually good to go back and look at how ridiculous fans are to try and keep perspective.  I've gone back and looked at things I've posted over the years and tried to learn from that.  I "bleed blue" as much as or more than anyone on this forum.  We could all do well to remember that emotional, knee-jerk rantings on a message board rarely age well.

37 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

The biggest thing for me going forward (and I'd imagine similarly for @GunnerBill) is trying to work out what lessons to take from this. Is Josh just truly an outlier that's bucking the norms or did I miss something more fundamental with him?

I definitely missed his legs. I thought he was kinda Blake Bortles athletic. You know he can make you miss and move the chains with his legs but isn't a weapon as a runner. Instead he is Cam Newton, Russell Wilson good with his legs. Proper weapon. 

I have also said multiple times that my grading system values floor more than most. I tend to miss most on the high ceiling low floor guys when they make it. Because for all positions when I look at a player one of the first questions I ask is "what is he in the NFL if this is who he is?" Now admittedly on Josh if I had spotted his legs being as good as they are it really would have raised his floor. I have tried to tweak my grading scale slightly for QBs to weight potential ceiling a bit higher. 

26 minutes ago, eball said:

Why?  Well, for one, it's pretty funny.  But sometimes it's actually good to go back and look at how ridiculous fans are to try and keep perspective.  I've gone back and looked at things I've posted over the years and tried to learn from that.  I "bleed blue" as much as or more than anyone on this forum.  We could all do well to remember that emotional, knee-jerk rantings on a message board rarely age well.

I feel you Eball. The draft day threads are mostly emotion driven like gameday threads with the knee jerk. I recall numerous members here though having a change of heart after the draft was over.

The so called "experts" bashing Josh all the way up until this season need to bowdown in my opinion along with Jets fans talking smack on Allen non-stop.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Bloke.....do you run a website like you are some kind of authority on draft prospects.....then when given ample opportunity to revisit it later continue to double down on it.

This is not directed at the fans.....we are all wrong on players......these are the guys that  were wrong and hang onto that opinion like a pitball on his bone.....like say.....Ledlard and PFF

This might end up as both a proper ramble and multifaceted so bear with me. I also don't mean any of this directly at you. We've 'known' each other for a while and I certainly harbour no ill will towards you.

You know that I've put some of my thoughts to virtual paper over the years, not just here but a number of places with varying readership levels. I can tell you from personal experience that there is an element of this fanbase that has an absolute pathological zest for revenge and/or vengeance which has resulted in more than one threat to my physical wellbeing. In even the broadest of terms, I don't think it's advisable to rile people up over a sport. If the worst thing in your day is someone not acknowledging Josh Allen's improvement, you're doing fine.

Secondly, these people don't owe you or I anything. They are spewing their opinions into the ether in the hope that people read them enough that they generate enough views to make a decent living out of this. If they are not going to change their opinions for the sake of convincing themselves that they're correct or to enrage people into giving them hate clicks, let them do it. All you have to do is stop reading them and giving them the reactions. If nobody reads their work, they either have to change their approach or give up entirely. I cannot stand Jon Ledyard as a human being but he can certainly play some people like a fiddle.

As an individual, we all have to know what we value from content creators. If you love the work that Erik Turner does for Cover1, read their articles, interact with their YT channel. If you love the investigative work that Tim Graham does, subscribe to The Athletic. Make the world of sports journalism better by supporting people that make the kind of content you want to read and, for the love of all that is holy, stop entertaining people that make you miserable enough to want a pound of flesh from them. They get more out of it than you do.

That concludes the rant. I love you, buddy.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I definitely missed his legs. I thought he was kinda Blake Bortles athletic. You know he can make you miss and move the chains with his legs but isn't a weapon as a runner. Instead he is Cam Newton, Russell Wilson good with his legs. Proper weapon. 

I have also said multiple times that my grading system values floor more than most. I tend to miss most on the high ceiling low floor guys when they make it. Because for all positions when I look at a player one of the first questions I ask is "what is he in the NFL if this is who he is?" Now admittedly on Josh if I had spotted his legs being as good as they are it really would have raised his floor. I have tried to tweak my grading scale slightly for QBs to weight potential ceiling a bit higher. 

When I watched him before his final year, I put his athletic ability on a sliding scale with Mariota at one end and Wentz at the other. Turns out that he tested like Wentz as well and even had the ball security issues he had at NDSU. I've worked out a method of judging athletic ability for the skill positions but not quite mastered QB yet. I suppose that I haven't tried as hard with QB because I would ideally not want my QB running all that much. Like I said earlier, bias is a B word.

I know that it sounds like a real cop-out but there's a lot of information that we just don't get as well-intentioned amateurs. If I had time to pick a guy's brain like teams do, I'd like to think that I could judge future likelihoods of progression a little better. Given the kind of access we've had to Josh as a professional, a teammate and a leader, I'd like to think that I'd have had more faith in his work ethic and drive to succeed. I had a chance to do that with Dion Dawkins a while back and his football IQ shone through. Alas, without it, I work on the idea that progress is neither guaranteed nor linear.

I don't know that I'll ever truly appreciate guys like Josh because I'm a boring bastard, risk-averse and don't particularly like high variance players. I've got to try and work through that though.

57 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

When I watched him before his final year, I put his athletic ability on a sliding scale with Mariota at one end and Wentz at the other. Turns out that he tested like Wentz as well and even had the ball security issues he had at NDSU. I've worked out a method of judging athletic ability for the skill positions but not quite mastered QB yet. I suppose that I haven't tried as hard with QB because I would ideally not want my QB running all that much. Like I said earlier, bias is a B word.

I know that it sounds like a real cop-out but there's a lot of information that we just don't get as well-intentioned amateurs. If I had time to pick a guy's brain like teams do, I'd like to think that I could judge future likelihoods of progression a little better. Given the kind of access we've had to Josh as a professional, a teammate and a leader, I'd like to think that I'd have had more faith in his work ethic and drive to succeed. I had a chance to do that with Dion Dawkins a while back and his football IQ shone through. Alas, without it, I work on the idea that progress is neither guaranteed nor linear.

I don't know that I'll ever truly appreciate guys like Josh because I'm a boring bastard, risk-averse and don't particularly like high variance players. I've got to try and work through that though.

Think this is absolutely true. It is the thing the armchair amateur can't ever replace. Some people would say "well then why bother trying" to which my answer is relatively simple "I enjoy it." I am also guilty of being risk averse. I like the high floor guys. Some players develop, some don't.

• Like (+1) 1