Its time for these Josh hating "experts" to ask for their crow

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'll never understand this absolute obsession with getting a pound of flesh.

I didn't like Josh as a prospect. What do you want to do; fly me over the Atlantic and publically flog me outside of the stadium?

The amount of hatred for being 'wrong' is not commensurate to the praise when you're right.

I have no problem with getting things wrong- but I do have a problem with the absolute certainty that many of these takes presented.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I believed in Allen from the beginning and defended him in debates, over and over again. With that said, I absolutely understand why reasonable posters on this board had doubts or expressed skepticism about the level of play he could reach. Even now, Allen plays a certain style of football that will lead to negative plays (such as some of his fumbles and the phantom interception yesterday) that cause some people to still question him in regard to " ball security and high risk plays he shouldn't attempt." I understand that as well. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Josh Allen has to pay his style of football. That is who he is and that is what is going to make him successful in this league.

As far as apologies go, I don't think people need to apologize for legitimate questions they had (and may still have) about Allen, or aspects of his game. I would guess that almost every Bills fan is completely behind Allen at this point, whether they still have questions or not.

There were a handful of posters that hated the pick from the beginning and were never interested in giving him a chance or being honest in their evaluations - only in justifying their dislike of him. I don't particularly care if they apologize or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

what gets me ....  Even the seasoned pro's and Super Bowl Champions make mistakes.  Josh males them and he sucks.  SMH

Some people in the media are too lazy to do REAL work and just pass on trash (maybe to get clicks)   

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have no reason to apologize since I was always hopeful but the linked article was kind of amusing.  

All the mea culpas now, the haters in the Bills fan base bother me the most.  Not the fact they didn't like the pick or him initially, but the extent of the childish hissy fits and vitriol by so many (the draft day thread should be ressurected annually).  Maybe it's a hot-take social media culture thing - but It was truly ridiculous and embarrasing IMO

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I'll never apologize for expecting a potential franchise QB to play like one. I also will never say he's arrived because I won't have to, his play will do the talking. I have very high expectations for Josh Allen and he hasn't met those expectations yet. Let's say he's taking a franchise QB test and there are 16 questions. Right now he's answered 3/16 questions right, still 13 more. Then comes the final exam. 

Long way to go.

14 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I have no problem with getting things wrong- but I do have a problem with the absolute certainty that many of these takes presented.

That sums it up for me.  I wasn’t happy that we drafted JA.  Once we drafted him, he became my QB and I moved past any negativity I may have had surrounding him.  Sure, I was worried that we screwed up the pick, but I wasn’t stating, with certainty that he was a bum and can’t improve. It was always a “trust the process” thought process.  Let’s surround him with some good weapons, OL and D and see what happens.  I can seeeeee! 

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'll never apologize for expecting a potential franchise QB to play like one. I also will never say he's arrived because I won't have to, his play will do the talking. I have very high expectations for Josh Allen and he hasn't met those expectations yet. Let's say he's taking a franchise QB test and there are 16 questions. Right now he's answered 3/16 questions right, still 13 more. Then comes the final exam. 

Long way to go.

I bet you are fun at a party. lol

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, eball said:

Just go back to the draft day thread and you'll find your list of members to send the form to.  Might be time to dig that up on the main board again for a few laughs.

Enjoy. For my taste too many people now claim that they believed in him. Truth is that at least 80% of this board hated the pick (and only started to hope after the draft). I will dig draft thread somewhere and when we were on the clock there were like 2-3 people wanting / cheering for Allen and rest (90+%) wanted Rosen. But I don't blame anybody, I am Bills fan only like 5 years but I can understand scepticism of Bills fans who have gone through all drought years and mediocre to bad quarterbacking.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I can understand that. There's undoubtedly going to be ringleaders that perceive their own words to be gospel. Speaking from personal experience, I've been guilty of that too. When you actually take the time to develop a system for evaluating these kids (admittedly, in a vacuum), it can be difficult not to get a little pig-headed and defensive about it.

If those people don't change as the evidence does, they're not worth your time. Bias happens consciously or subconsciously, confirmation bias can be a B word. I won't root for failure from what appears to be a really likeable guy just to satiate my own ego.

17 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

People on message boards should not have to write "in my opinion" before every sentence in order for it to be taken as an opinion. It should be the absolute default that everything here is opinion unless clearly presented as fact.

To my mind I have only ever presented two facts to this board that I have had verified from reliable sources and those were clearly presented as such.

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

I bet you are fun at a party. lol

I'm too busy poking my Josh Allen voodoo doll to go to parties. At least that's what people think. I'm tough on Allen because he's not yet accomplished anything. Once we win something then we can exhale. Give me an AFC East title or something before we crown him.

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'll never understand this absolute obsession with getting a pound of flesh.

I didn't like Josh as a prospect. What do you want to do; fly me over the Atlantic and publically flog me outside of the stadium?

The amount of hatred for being 'wrong' is not commensurate to the praise when you're right.

That’s a good start. 

Seriously though, there’s nothing wrong with being wrong. Two things play into how sweet this feels:

1- from a national media perspective, Josh has always been judged at a higher standard than the other QB’s from his class. Just look at the excuses still being made for Darnold- yes his team is terrible, but he’s awful. Josh can have a brilliant game (3rd straight) and still get lambasted about a couple mistakes while the media trips over itself to cover Darnold and Mayfield with excuses (just like they did for Rosen) 

2- There’s a special sense of victory around these parts as going into the 2018 draft there was a very heated divisiveness around here wherein the majority wanted Rosen (hence the term “right Josh”) and viewed anyone who preferred Allen/didn’t like Rosen as intellectually inferior. It went beyond the typical “I prefer this guy, and I think that guy won’t do well” and was down right hostile to anyone who didn’t see Rosen as the obvious pick or dared to point out his issues. Now, that was from a vocal few primarily (some really idiots who are now gone cause they’re schmucks), but the majority here was anti-Allen, so for those of us who have been pro Allen since pre- April ‘18, this is a nice level of vindication. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

what gets me ....  Even the seasoned pro's and Super Bowl Champions make mistakes.  Josh males them and he sucks.  SMH

Some people in the media are too lazy to do REAL work and just pass on trash (maybe to get clicks)   

Yep. Some in the national sports media will never be able to fully admit to themselves they were wrong about him. For them, a typical review of Allen's play would be:

"He threw for over 300 yards, accounted for 5 touchdowns, and led his team to the game winning touchdown, at the end of the game, to beat a very good Rams team, BUT... (insert choice of negative play here)" 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Your post after we selected him is classic :) 

I think everybody should just be happy that all skeptics were wrong.

Yep and when you get things wrong you have to own then that comes with the territory. What I said about two days after that post and I have stuck to ever since is I have only ever evaluated how he has played as a Bill based on what he has done on the field. The fact I didn't like him as a prospect has never affected my view on his performances. The same way the fact I liked Shaq Lawson as a prospect never stopped me saying "he needs to play a lot better" through most of his time here. Some players are the same guy in the NFL that they were in college (for better or worse) others are not. When the evidence changes your opinion should change. I know that is unfashionable in the social media dig into my position and live in an echo chamber world in which we live but that should be how life works.

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That’s a good start. 

Seriously though, there’s nothing wrong with being wrong. Two things play into how sweet this feels:

1- from a national media perspective, Josh has always been judged at a higher standard than the other QB’s from his class. Just look at the excuses still being made for Darnold- yes his team is terrible, but he’s awful. Josh can have a brilliant game (3rd straight) and still get lambasted about a couple mistakes while the media trips over itself to cover Darnold and Mayfield with excuses (just like they did for Rosen) 

2- There’s a special sense of victory around these parts as going into the 2018 draft there was a very heated divisiveness around here wherein the majority wanted Rosen (hence the term “right Josh”) and viewed anyone who preferred Allen/didn’t like Rosen as intellectually inferior. It went beyond the typical “I prefer this guy, and I think that guy won’t do well” and was down right hostile to anyone who didn’t see Rosen as the obvious pick or dared to point out his issues. Now, that was from a vocal few primarily (some really idiots who are now gone cause they’re schmucks), but the majority here was anti-Allen, so for those of us who have been pro Allen since pre- April ‘18, this is a nice level of vindication. 

I thought we wanted Lamar????