The interception call...

Tolstoy

The NFL can try to justify this if they want, but the smarter move would have been to admit the mistake. Just wait and see what a can of worms this opens up for the rest of the season. Every completed catch can now result in the defender trying to wrestle it away on the ground before the ref can verify the "completion of the catch" process? Oh this should be fun to watch.

If you listened to Mike Pereira (spelling? no clue) explain it was that Kroft clearly had possession on the way down and that it wasn't until the two players hit the ground, at which point the play is dead since Kroft had possession and obviously down by contact, that LA took the ball away from Kroft that makes it a complete pass and the OPI call re-setting the play. Made total sense once you can hear an expert explain it and he said he had no idea how they can call it an INT.

You couldn't even argue that they didn't have enough video evidence to overturn the call of INT on the field. It was just a garbage call that should have been overturned, and it makes me feel totally fine with the crap PI call that basically sealed the game for the Bills. 

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I have not seen one shot where the defender had possession of the ball.  

I see Kroft make a catch and go down on his knees - the defender at hat point doesn’t have the ball.

I see Kroft fall on top of the defender and the 2 of them fighting for the ball, but in no shot can they show the defender with sole possession of the ball.

This was an easy play that the Refs blew and NY was to stupid and rigid to accept it was a blown call on the field and call it correctly.

As horrible of a call as seemed on the field, I understand not being able to overturn a play where you literally can't see who has possession. There has to be a conclusive view that Kroft never lost possession.

At the same time, it is at least possible that Kroft did lose possession right before he was down. That angle doesn't exist in replay, the camera would need to be overhead of them to see definitively. 

1637388753_ScreenShot2020-09-28at7_05_27AM.thumb.jpg.dc5130bf6bb9578f75355c197e282b09.jpg

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

As predicted, all of the highlight packages are ignoring this and only focusing on the (correct) PI call at the end of the game. GMFB even said 31 other fan bases are mad about the PI call and it wasn't PI... give me a damn break.

This is a trend that I hope continues! LOL 

Quote from last the DB “And here is Johnson's take: "I was post middle. I was coming from the weak side. I think I could have run over and just plucked it, but for some reason, I stopped because thought it was going to a tip. It was a push off. I tried to wrestle with him all the way from the ground and they gave me the ball."” wrestler all the way to the ground (e.g. Kroft had it) .. and the refs “gave it to me” . Given tie goes to receiver ... bad call!

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/nfl-explains-why-controversial-interception-was-not-overturned/article_3144b798-00fc-11eb-b691-d383bab887e8.html

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Did they get rid of the “tie goes to the offensive player” rule as well over the off-season, like they did the Calvin Johnson rule?  If not, then it smacks of game fixing.

No they have not changed that rule

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

That "pick". My wife hadn't sworn out loud that I had heard in like 10 years. yesterday was, I think, it's the first time she ever swore in front of our kids. I was furious too but even I turned around with the bug eyes.

What a bunch of crap that call was.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

24 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

No they have not changed that rule

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

I didn’t think so but wasn’t sure after learning the Calvin Johnson rule had quietly been eliminated over the off-season.

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

I didn’t think so but wasn’t sure after learning the Calvin Johnson rule had quietly been eliminated over the off-season.

I was worried they were going to review the DPI call at the end of the game. Then I learned that pass interference is no longer reviewable. Pretty funny that they tried it out for a year and then scrapped it b/c they were too cowardly to actually overturn bad calls. They'll probably re-instate it after another rams vs saints fiasco 

13 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Kroft and the defender both had possession at the end of the play. That is supposed to go to the receiver. 

Kroft has the ball in his hands when his but hit the ground. Plays over... at the time Kroft shut the ground the defender maybe had a hand on the ball. Not until the play was clearly over did the defender grab the ball with 2 hands... it’s not even a tie.

Why that every single person who watched the replay felt it was a catch, not an interception or even a tie.... but the refs couldn’t figure it out bothers me the most.