Unpopular take here...Tre is playing very meh

Hebert19

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Who is the Aaron Donald on this D.. the guy that can consistently turn a game with a strip sack or other turnover?

We have none it looks like to me McDermott would rather have 8 ok guys to rotate then a few elite players. Then again we did draft Ed Oliver so hell I don’t no maybe he will be that guy one day 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I love White as a person but I would rather spend that money on a DT,DE,OT, WR, OLB. I think I saw White covering Everett today 3 times when he should've been glued to Woods or Kupp. I'm not a big fan of giving the CB position that kind of money, I would rather draft, develop and trade or franchise at that position. 

don't blame Tre for that.  thats on Mcdermott and leslie

36 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

They are missing the inside pass rush of Jordan Phillips more than i think most realize.

I don’t think so.  He didn’t generate much pass rush. Seemed to me that every time he made a good move, he got a sack. I don’t remember him creating pressure consistently 

We played well for a half and then its like we hit a wall and had zero in the tank.  I'm guessing a conditioning issue with the truncated training camps?  Our line applied zero pressure in the second half and Goff had forever to pick apart the secondary.  The d-line appears to be a serious issue.  

It almost seems like an unwritten rule in the NFL that if your offense starts playing well, the defense has to take a step back. You rarely have both, even if the talent level remains the same! It's a fascinating psychological phenomenon, and I think earlier posters hit it on the head when they suggest it's because the defense doesn't feel the same pressure to perform because they feel, whether consciously or not, that the offense can carry the load.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It almost seems like an unwritten rule in the NFL that if your offense starts playing well, the defense has to take a step back. You rarely have both, even if the talent level remains the same! It's a fascinating psychological phenomenon, and I think earlier posters hit it on the head when they suggest it's because the defense doesn't feel the same pressure to perform because they feel, whether consciously or not, that the offense can carry the load.

I think it's more about the need for the opponent's offense to play more aggressively when Facing a prodigious offense.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Who is the Aaron Donald on this D.. the guy that can consistently turn a game with a strip sack or other turnover?

we need one. I really hope we can find an elite MLB soon for this defense. Edmunds isn't good enough at the moment and is a few years away from fully developing. 

1 hour ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

White has been underperforming, so has Edmunds.  Whatever “Tre” you’re taking about lol. As stated by many, the whole defense is subpar right now. Defenses around the NFL are getting torched.

Idk what Is going, but I have faith in the skill, coaching and intelligence of this defense that they’ll figure it out in the next couple weeks. 

It is wild. I’ve been bouncing back and forth. The defense has not looked good, but it also feels like every QB in the league is throwing like 350, 70%, and 2-3TDs. 

That said, Edmunds to me seems to be doing a bit worse than Tre just because it’s more characteristic of him. He can be slow to diagnose and stuff the hole. When he has the right instinct and trusts it, his physiology is terrifying. But he’s hesitant at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

he's already been burned more this year than last...and his run support and tackling has been non existent.  

A couple times today he actually looked like he avoided contact.  

Thoughts?   

I totally agree!.  It has been reported that White was going to opt out befoer the season.   If he continues to play like this, he really ought to consider it again. 

On a side note, I'm getting sick and tired of Edmunds missing 1 on 1 tackles, especially those that lead to huge gains.  Let's temper this talk about his "All Pro" status now. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

When a team comes from behind they will throw at all targets that are open. To me White is simply playing the concept of the defense which is to keep everything in front of him.  

EXACTLY....Frazier is the biggest reason why our defense is underperforming

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

The defense doesn’t look the same, it not jus Tre. To be honest, defenses around the league all look pretty bad. Maybe it’s the no preseason. Hoping we tighten up shortly

NFL has set a record for most points through first 2 weeks and I would be shocked with all the high scores today if it didn't extend to the first 3 weeks.

Seems like all the defenses are struggling. Think we will be fine by midseason.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

The defense doesn’t look the same, it not jus Tre. To be honest, defenses around the league all look pretty bad. Maybe it’s the no preseason. Hoping we tighten up shortly

It’s a league-wide trend.  I can’t think of a single defense that shutting other teams down. 

58 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

NFL has set a record for most points through first 2 weeks and I would be shocked with all the high scores today if it didn't extend to the first 3 weeks.

Seems like all the defenses are struggling. Think we will be fine by midseason.

In the first week, offensive holding calls were down 78%.  Haven’t seen the stats since, but I’m not seeing many of those called.

When the D is on the field as long as these guys have been and you're not getting to the QB or causing TO's you're gonna get tired. Tre like every other elite DB works best when he only has to cover the route that's being run. Once the freelancing starts the advantage goes to the receiver. They have to get consistent pressure.

3 hours ago, Whkfc said:

They are missing the inside pass rush of Jordan Phillips more than i think most realize.

I don't necessarily think that's true. We seem to be getting good penetration. The run  D has been a little more suspect. And McVay was finding good holes in our zone. We got some good pressure and Goff made some great throws too. 

Philips' moxie we are definitely missing.