The Rams tried to take away Allen's escape routes

Matt_In_NH

They consistently had a guy coming wide around the edge where Allen would try and spin out of the pocket.  This is how Belicheck handles Allen.  Today he was able to do just enough to get through but it clearly was frustrating him.  They need to find a counter to this technique....the Rams have some good DL so they could bring some pressure so that was part of it but there must be something open when they do this, probably an escape route straight ahead.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

They consistently had a guy coming wide around the edge where Allen would try and spin out of the pocket.  This is how Belicheck handles Allen.  Today he was able to do just enough to get through but it clearly was frustrating him.  They need to find a counter to this technique....the Rams have some good DL so they could bring some pressure so that was part of it but there must be something open when they do this, probably an escape route straight ahead.

That's an interesting comment.  I didn't notice they were doing that. 

I thought it looked like Allen had been told to stay in the pocket.  I thought there were several plays where in previous weeks he would have escaped earlier and made a play on the run, either passing or carrying the ball.  But maybe you're right, maybe he just couldn't see how to escape.  

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Good post.  Watching that pocket collapse and contain in the 2nd half reminded me of a Belichick D.  They did a helluva job.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's an interesting comment.  I didn't notice they were doing that. 

I thought it looked like Allen had been told to stay in the pocket.  I thought there were several plays where in previous weeks he would have escaped earlier and made a play on the run, either passing or carrying the ball.  But maybe you're right, maybe he just couldn't see how to escape.  

The Texans did the same thing in the playoff game.  When Allen takes a long sack when you really don’t want a sack it has been from this type of scheme.  They trap him to where he struggles to get a ball off even as a throw away. 

Edited by mattynh