ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Test

Shaw66

9 hours ago, hemma said:

That's your best in a long time.

And that's saying a lot.  

Not gonna lie to you.. this is the one thread I look forward to.    Great analysis, metaphors, and opinions.   Especially for those of us who cannot get to see the games.  Highlights are just that - a few seconds of the really good plays or the really bad plays.   We don't get to see the insights like how special the Rams' offense is ... We see that they scored 28 unanswered points and think WTF is wrong with our top rated defense?    We look at the stats and don't see how dominant #99 was.   

Thanks @Shaw66

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

When Singletary does that high stepping thing he does you know he is feeling it :)

I swore Singletary caused an ACL tear to that LB on that juke move he put on him...the dude just buckled in a way that was definitely not normal hahaha

Edited by matter2003

12 hours ago, Beast said:

Josh Allen was Brett Favre on that last drive.

Why I love Josh Allen - He looks like Brett Favre sometimes

Why I hate Josh Allen - He looks like Brett Favre sometimes

Thankfully, he has a LOT less of the bad Brett Favre in him than he used to!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I gotta add a postscript.  I meant to include this in my column, but I forgot.  

My wife and I were watching the game.  This season, I've been jotting notes on my computer as the game goes along, and my wife usually is looking at stuff on her tablet, half-paying attention to the game.  

Sometime a few minutes after the non-interception interception, my wife said "listen to this," and started reading something she'd found she thought was interesting.  I asked her to stop, because it already was obvious that the game was getting pretty intense.  I couldn't be distracted.  I think that made her realize the game was getting interesting, so she began paying more attention, too.  We sat there for the rest of the game, just taking it in, groaning as the Rams came back, hoping somehow someone would step up to save the day.  My notes were saying things like "total meltdown."

Then the game ended - did I mention the Bills won? - and we sat there in stunned silence.   I was having trouble processing everything that had just happened.  The my wife said "that was a like a horror movie."   And I realized she was right.  Every horrible thing that could happen to the Bills was happening (short of having their heads sliced off by a machete-wielding crazed Jack Nicholson with a maniacal smile), and in the end the good guy walks away, hugs his girlfriend, smiling and saying "well, let's not do that again."  

A horror movie - disaster, disaster, disaster, happy ending.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I gotta add a postscript.  I meant to include this in my column, but I forgot.  

My wife and I were watching the game.  This season, I've been jotting notes on my computer as the game goes along, and my wife usually is looking at stuff on her tablet, half-paying attention to the game.  

Sometime a few minutes after the non-interception interception, my wife said "listen to this," and started reading something she'd found she thought was interesting.  I asked her to stop, because it already was obvious that the game was getting pretty intense.  I couldn't be distracted.  I think that made her realize the game was getting interesting, so she began paying more attention, too.  We sat there for the rest of the game, just taking it in, groaning as the Rams came back, hoping somehow someone would step up to save the day.  My notes were saying things like "total meltdown."

Then the game ended - did I mention the Bills won? - and we sat there in stunned silence.   I was having trouble processing everything that had just happened.  The my wife said "that was a like a horror movie."   And I realized she was right.  Every horrible thing that could happen to the Bills was happening (short of having their heads sliced off by a machete-wielding crazed Jack Nicholson with a maniacal smile), and in the end the good guy walks away, hugs his girlfriend, smiling and saying "well, let's not do that again."  

A horror movie - disaster, disaster, disaster, happy ending.  

It was Jurassic Park.

18 hours ago, Beast said:

Josh Allen was Brett Favre on that last drive.

I think I post someplace else about this comment.   

Brett Favre wishes he had Josh's physical talent.   Brett had to muscle up, get his whole body into it to throw those what-are-you-thinking lightning bolts.  Josh just looks, things maybe he'll give it a shot and - BOOM! - the ball's shot out of a cannon.  

I know, you're talking about the gunslinger, I'm-going-in-guns-blazing-and-I'm-coming-out-alive mentality - Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven, and more and more, we're seeing that's who Josh is.  But he's so much more.  

54 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think I post someplace else about this comment.   

Brett Favre wishes he had Josh's physical talent.   Brett had to muscle up, get his whole body into it to throw those what-are-you-thinking lightning bolts.  Josh just looks, things maybe he'll give it a shot and - BOOM! - the ball's shot out of a cannon.  

I know, you're talking about the gunslinger, I'm-going-in-guns-blazing-and-I'm-coming-out-alive mentality - Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven, and more and more, we're seeing that's who Josh is.  But he's so much more.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting star struck by Josh Allen

Allen and Beasley slayed the dragon on Sunday afternoon so all the Bills mafia town folk could sleep safe and sound Sunday night resting assured Josh Allen is standing guard over the herd.

One Buffalo strong... 

Edited by Figster

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting star struck by Josh Allen

Allen and Beasley slayed the dragon on Sunday afternoon so all the Bills mafia town folk could sleep safel and sound Sunday night resting assured Josh Allen is standing guard over the herd.

One Buffalo strong... 

Wait until Allen gets good!

• Haha (+1) 1

Great write up as usual Shaw.  Like others have said, I look forward to your posts after each game.  

One additional thought - the Bill's offense was not at full strength yesterday, missing Knox, Moss, and John Brown (for much of the game)!  That really speaks to team depth and the maturation of Josh to utilize the players on the field without missing a beat.   It was great to see Gabriel Davis fill a bigger role yesterday - he's looking great for a 4th round rookie.  

2 hours ago, RedDog3940 said:

Great write up as usual Shaw.  Like others have said, I look forward to your posts after each game.  

One additional thought - the Bill's offense was not at full strength yesterday, missing Knox, Moss, and John Brown (for much of the game)!  That really speaks to team depth and the maturation of Josh to utilize the players on the field without missing a beat.   It was great to see Gabriel Davis fill a bigger role yesterday - he's looking great for a 4th round rookie.  

Thats a good point.  

Interesting to see how they will do with otrrer injuries that will come.  Survived Milano and Edmunds just okay.  

On 9/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, Shaw66 said:

“The Test”

Beautifully written. You have the gift. Probably your best till date.

But very offense centric. What about our defense? Lane Integrity? Bojo punt? Also nothing on the PI? Maybe the game needs a second write up (RR2) to cover all the other stuff.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Beautifully written. You have the gift. Probably your best till date.

But very offense centric. What about our defense? Lane Integrity? Bojo punt? Also nothing on the PI? Maybe the game needs a second write up (RR2) to cover all the other stuff.

Yeah, right.  Could write a book about that game.  

I thought the story of the game was how the team stood up to the challenge.  It was Allen and the offense that stood up.  Everyone did their job, the offense made the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oooohhh I TOTALLY forgot about that spin move!!!

Thanks for the reminder!

The spin move was a reminder of what an extraordinary athlete Allen is.   Running backs practice that move and make it part of their repertoire.  When does Allen practice that?   Sometime, I guess, but that isn't his job.   I don't recall that we've seen it before.  What was particularly good about it was that it was just what was needed in that instant to avoid the tackle and pick up a couple extra yards for the first town.  Allen wasn't going to run away from the guy, but he had to avoid a direct hit to get the first down.   In the moment Allen could see it and execute it.  Quite remarkable.  

You summed up Josh brilliantly.  He is the finest specimen of ugly and greatness all rolled up together.  In addition to enjoying watching the Bills WIN more the last couple of years - they have finally become MUCH more entertaining after watching so many unwatchable Bills squads over many years.  That alone is worth the price we pay for some of those gut wrenching plays.  Definitely need to make sure my heart medicine is well stocked up - but boy I am all-in for the Josh Allen ride!!!

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Running backs practice that move and make it part of their repertoire.

Between moves like that spin and how he handles the ball one handed - I always wonder how much Shady rubbed off on Josh when he was here... ??

5 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

You summed up Josh brilliantly.  He is the finest specimen of ugly and greatness all rolled up together.  In addition to enjoying watching the Bills WIN more the last couple of years - they have finally become MUCH more entertaining after watching so many unwatchable Bills squads over many years.  That alone is worth the price we pay for some of those gut wrenching plays.  Definitely need to make sure my heart medicine is well stocked up - but boy I am all-in for the Josh Allen ride!!!

Between moves like that spin and how he handles the ball one handed - I always wonder how much Shady rubbed off on Josh when he was here... ??

Very interesting question about Shady.  Never occurred to me, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Josh got some advice from Shady.