ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Test

Shaw66

Well said and a good write up. Good and bad in the end they passed the test. 

I thought the announcer summed up Allen pretty good. 
“he plays quarterback like defense” 
One thing I think we can all agree on is NOBODY wants to face this offense. Yeah I said offense. How can you gameplan for a guy like Allen? 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills defense failed their test. No one's asking for perfection but giving up 4 consecutive TD drives in the 2nd half can't be excused. If Josh Allen wasn't playing at an MVP level right now the team would be 1-2 and the supposed strength of our team would be to blame.

To be fair I will say I don't see any elite defenses in the NFL right now, Baltimore is the only one that's close. But McDermott and Frazier need to figure something out. Allen can only pull them out so many times.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Do you ever feel when we are 2nd or 3rd and 22 that we are ever out of it? Despite the odds I like our Chances which seems improbable. Those were big time throws to Beasley. 

This is a really interesting point.   That's an amazing point.  It's true.  It doesn't matter what the situation, the Bills always seem to have an answer.  

• Like (+1) 2

I always come on here in the evening after games, specifically looking for your writeups, @Shaw66. Fabulous as always. I love the Josh Allen comparison to "the kid in math class who said the most brilliantly stupid things.  The smart kids would snicker at the really dumb stuff he said.  And, then, somehow, when the test came, he got the A. "

Absolutely brilliant.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Do you ever feel when we are 2nd or 3rd and 22 that we are ever out of it? Despite the odds I like our Chances which seems improbable. Those were big time throws to Beasley. 

Yes Exactly! I felt strangely good when the offense came on with 4:30 left and needing a TD.

the 3rd and 22 was a tough one to swallow because it felt Josh self-inflicted, but the throw to Beasely was a gunshot that caught seven or eight Rams off guard.

And yet again, the self-inflicted 3rd and 17 rifle to Diggs made the PI call possible.

it’s a good feeling, for sure!

• Like (+1) 1

Nice write up Shaw. Always look forward to your post game write up. Young teams need to LEARN how to win when the game isn’t going your way. This game was eerily similar to the Texans playoff game but the growth of the offense came thru in the end. The Bills were dominating but then aren’t able to punch back. The growth of Josh and the addition of Diggs and Davis have been game changers for this offense.  Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis provide matchup problems. Then add in a shifting RB that is good in the short passing game and some competent TE’s really gives JA plenty of options and he’s using all of them.

Bills passed their first test with many more to come. Now let’s go beat the Raiders to finish the first quarter of the season with an A!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like that my QB was pissed after winning a game in the final seconds.... visibly seething when interviewed on the field and later for the zoom calls. 

He just won, why is he so angry?

Because he said, I let my foot off the pedal, because I did not find ways to keep our offense moving in the second half, because I turned the ball over and lost my head with the refs and was assessed a penalty that put my defense in a bad spot.

This is a growth mindset, accepting some things done well but not being blinded by accomplishments - knowing there are things you can work to improve.

I think he feels that he is still miles away and all I can say is strap in everybody........this IS our QB.

Edited by WideNine