The pass to Kroft keeps getting criticized- Why?

oldmanfan

29 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Well, I'm not sure Kroft would be on the field if Allen/Daboll didn't trust him. We have not gotten to see Kroft all that much...

Let’s be real it was pretty clear weeks one and two that Knox was TE1. And that’s with the well-documented blocking issues and drops last year. 

5 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Not grounding if he throws it out of bounds in the vicinity of the receiver.

With how zebras call games you really think they wouldn't let the dirty laundry fly

They don't call it by the book. Even if that receiver was in the flats, I can still see them saying it wasn't close enough or some bs

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

It could be Knox's draft position that gets him the start, along with the team desire for him to be a very good TE. Not sure Knox is holding up his end of the bargin.

In that vein they’re paying Kroft $6M a year to show up for like three games so far. And they weren’t afraid to make Singletary disappear for games at a time last year in spite of his draft position. 

6 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Was thinking more in terms of his ability to elevate and go after a jump ball. I think I'd still take Knox as being far more athletic and capable of winning a jump ball. The only reason Kroft had a shot was he pushed off. Either way, should have thrown it away...IMO.

Possibly, both are big boys though - Kroft is 6'6" and Knox is 6'4". Was a pretty weak OPI in my opinion as I have seen it numerous times and not get flagged. Kroft actually went up there pretty nice and made a nice snag. 

Water under the bridge now. I just hope the league fixes this INT crap now = disgusted.

Edited by Real McNasty

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

Yes, but sometimes QB's throw jump balls and expect their guy to come down with the ball. Risky throw, but IMO it worked. It's just that the officials botched the hell out of that play. Allen is going to make more risky throws this season, it's who he is.

In one-on-one coverage. Not into double coverage.

Just now, Gene1973 said:

Maybe he should not have talked to Favre in the offseason...

Hey, I'm not down on Josh at all. Taking risks and making big time throws is part of his game. But let's not pretend that he hasn't had an issue with these throws into coverage while under pressure in the past. When he is under duress he sometimes reverts to those ill-advised deep throws.

But I've been an Allen supporter since his rookie season. The guy is a gamer, a big time competitor, and a winner.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I just heard Dungy say Josh should not have made the throw to Kroft on the INT play.  Seen others here say the same.  Why?  He hit him right in the hands and we all think it was a completion.   Why should he not make a throw like that?

Just because it could’ve worked out doesn’t mean it’s ideal.

there are plenty of throws im thrilled josh can make if needed late in a game and trying to come back. 

many of those you don’t want to see thrown in the situation we saw there 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I just heard Dungy say Josh should not have made the throw to Kroft on the INT play.  Seen others here say the same.  Why?  He hit him right in the hands and we all think it was a completion.   Why should he not make a throw like that?

tossed it up for grabs to a double covered backup tight end and it ended badly, very badly

I am of the opinion that a lot of Allen's throws are ill-advised in regards to letting it rip with defensive linemen in his lap or hanging off him.

He covers for a lot of pass pro breakdown in this offense and blitzes coming clean.

But, more often than not he gets the ball where it needs to be. Allen lofted that ball just about perfectly over the defender.

Kroft had a hand on the back of the DB who was a bit too shallow to make a leaping play on the ball, and it struck me more as incidental contact as the db was jumping back towards Kroft. But if they want to call an offensive PI that is pretty weak even in slow-mo they could.

Still there is no INT, no fumble, and the receiver came down with the ball with contact. Play is over and either stands as a catch or is an offensive PI call.

If not for Rivera's bizarro world of officiating that's a heck of a throw under pressure.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am mystified why people think this was a bad decision. Josh threw it up to where only Kroft is getting it. Its exactly the kind of jump ball throw we were screaming for last year and we kept arguing that Bills receivers weren't doing enough of. It was a great throw, on the money and Kroft's push off is pretty mild (especially if you compare to Gronk's usual move). If Kroft doesnt push off, I still think that the DB isnt getting it because he jumps too early and is too short. Kroft catches it and his back hits the ground with it in his hands. Never an INT!!

Edited by Livinginthepast