Gabriel Davis on the 4th and 9 late PI call

Simon

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

His catch up the left sideline was amazing.  Tough angle to turn on the ball, and yet the instant the ball hit his hands, it stopped moving.  Instantly.  That's a special skill. 

Davis looks like the guy we hoped Duke would be.  

This is exactly it.  The catches he has made, the way he has used his size, but also his “speed”.  He is everything the Bills were hoping to get out of Duke, but just didn’t.

Do you think Davis makes a couple of those end zone catches that just eluded Duke last year?  I do.

I am amazed at everything we are getting out of him at this point and hope he keeps pushing and growing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Joe and Evan just said that this call was one of the most egregious calls and an embarrassment for the NFL.

Also, the NFL was lucky that this was a regional game (not a Sunday or Monday night game) and only a portion of the nation saw how bad this call was.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Do you think Davis makes a couple of those end zone catches that just eluded Duke last year?  I do.

Yes, I do.  He already made one last week.  And the catch on the sideline yesterday was not unlike the one Duke dropped in the playoffs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gabe Davis is why the Bills today are not the Bills of old.

In the past, Gabe, a  4th round pick would be thrust into a WR1 or WR2 role because our lack of talent, depth, planning etc....where he would do ok

With this team,  we have had a plan and have built our team and our depth and this baller can slide in and learn as a #4 WR, which means "whatevers left" on D will be covering him which will allow him to play an important and key role for our offense while still being able to learn the position, learn from vets and learn how to win

Think of it like this, we are now the organization where a 4th round baller can come in, contribute as a #4, learn and grow so that in a year or two he is a stud moving up the WR ladder.......win win

Obviously there are many examples to that show how the McBeane era is very different than the past, but I thought this may be worth pointing out

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Cannot believe the level of whining on that play from some Sports commentators who blow off the egregious change of possession gaffe with Kroft yet think that db's riding your WR all the way down the field (well past the 5 yards) should not be called in a tight game. Uncatchable I keep hearing, but the fact that the receiver could not run his route due to being held who knows where he would have been. Once there is holding it only matters that the ball is thrown near the intended receiver.

As far as calling a PI there, that is exactly when a ref should be looking for pass interference. In a tight game coming down to the wire - where a team is not going to be running the ball and burning seconds off the clock. They completely gloss over how the Rams D could not stop Allen on 3rd and forever to get the Bills in position to make that play to begin with or that he still had to throw for a TD.

The Rams had only given up one TD pass in the prior 2 games and pass defense was considered a team strength - Allen carved them up before the weird call and protection started to break down late in the 3rd then came on strong again when he had to. On Allen's 3rd TD throw in the 1st half the body language of the Rams defense said everything. They had no answers and had basically accepted a TD was happening.

Most of those people that are crying about it, literally didn’t know that play even existed.  It wasn’t brought up of show on 95% of the highlights/videos I’ve seen.  Chris Simms brought it up and mcafee brought it up.  Not much else

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, AKC said:

While there were some cringeworthy decisions to throw the ball yesterday this play was the other end of the scale for me. 

Cringeworthy? To me cringeworthy is throwing it right to a defender. Like Darnold x2, Kyler Murray x3 yesterday. Like Matt Ryan xClutch or Mitch Trubisky xCareer. Hell, even Dak Prescott.

Which Allen throws were you referencing, or is it some lesser standard being applied?