Gabriel Davis on the 4th and 9 late PI call

Simon

4 hours ago, Bufflow4 said:

Such a sure handed receiver already. All of our receivers with a lot less drops so far this year, actually, and it’s making a huge difference for the offense. I wonder if that has to do with Josh putting more touch on the ball or Diggs leading by example and challenging others to be on top of their game. Whatever the reason, I’m loving the results.

Both I think.  Josh throwing with more touch undoubtedly helps, but I see our guys diving and leaping and coming back for and fighting for balls in a way they didn't last year.

I think we have Diggs leading by example to thank for that latter.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Amazing what the Bills did.  Deferred their 1st rd pick for a rookie WR and got Diggs.  Great move.  But then they go get Davis in the 4th round. 

They got their cake and ate it too. 

Indeed. For as deep a WR class as they touted this to be, I love how we played it. Diggs is a known elite player. We got the guy we knew could come in and ball, and we still got a great prospect who seems to be developing well ahead of his draft slot.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why yes, I did have Justin Jefferson on my bench, because of course I did 

Ok,  on the basis of this one game, lets see how "effective" the Bills draft was.
<t>
name                             drafted        draft value        yards        yards per draft point                     
JJefferseon                1-22                780                  175                            0.22
G Davis                        4-22                60                    81                                1.35
Aijak                            1-25                 720                   70                               0.10
Lamb                           1-17                950                  66                                0.07</t>

Sounds like a deal to me.

18 hours ago, Simon said:

Just wanted to give Gabe Davis his propers for the work he put in (and I mean work) on that 4th and 9 play that saved the day today.

While there were some cringeworthy decisions to throw the ball yesterday this play was the other end of the scale for me. We've spent decades watching notable opponent QBs throwing that ball and drawing flags while our own QBs would have looked to go to someone who didn't have a defender draped on his chest. Without the throw there's no PI flag. We've had that flag thrown on us over and over during the drought and costing us plenty of games- thanks Josh for proceeding with the play the elite at your position are comfortable throwing and expectant of the reward you earned.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He's quickly getting a reputation as a guy that catches everything thrown his way. We didn't have that guy on the team last year. He made game changing plays in 2 close wins this year. Sky is the limit for him. Admittedly I don't know how consistently he is getting separation and running good routes but it's hard to argue with the results.

His catch up the left sideline was amazing.  Tough angle to turn on the ball, and yet the instant the ball hit his hands, it stopped moving.  Instantly.  That's a special skill. 

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Honestly, I'm just glad Duke Williams is finally an afterthought.  

Davis looks like the guy we hoped Duke would be.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Aikman is wrong....if that’s what should happen then the defense can do whatever the ***** it wants late in the game.

Oh and when Aikman was QB he'd want the exact same call.  What rubbish.

It was a penalty & Davis played very well, but don't get excited & claimed he did anything special to draw a flag.  He ran his rout & was impeded/interfered with.

20 hours ago, Simon said:

Just wanted to give Gabe Davis his propers for the work he put in (and I mean work) on that 4th and 9 play that saved the day today.

The corner got a great jam on him and if he had allowed himself to be redirected in that instant, the pass falls incomplete anyways, the flag never comes out and the Bills take a brutal loss. Instead he fought like a goddamned tiger all the way through the route, gave the DB more than he was ready to handle and drew a huuuge penalty that actually changed the W/L column.  That killer effort was the only reason the side judge threw that flag (or maybe because he knew he had blown the call on the Kroft non-INT and was subconsciously looking for a place to square it up ; - )

Most young players are not so proactive in big moments like that and would panic and try to alter their route, but the fact that Davis' natural instinct was to fight like hell when it was all on the line bodes very, very well for his future in this league.

It's not something you're going to see talked about on highlight shows, on message boards or on radio programs but it is absolutely something that gets noticed in the locker room where it counts. So congrats Gabriel on another great day and for continuing to earn the respect of both your teammates and your opponents (but mostly your teammates, cuz **** your opponents). Keep it up and they'll be throwing love and money at you before you know it.

Cannot believe the level of whining on that play from some Sports commentators who blow off the egregious change of possession gaffe with Kroft yet think that db's riding your WR all the way down the field (well past the 5 yards) should not be called in a tight game. Uncatchable I keep hearing, but the fact that the receiver could not run his route due to being held who knows where he would have been. Once there is holding it only matters that the ball is thrown near the intended receiver.

As far as calling a PI there, that is exactly when a ref should be looking for pass interference. In a tight game coming down to the wire - where a team is not going to be running the ball and burning seconds off the clock. They completely gloss over how the Rams D could not stop Allen on 3rd and forever to get the Bills in position to make that play to begin with or that he still had to throw for a TD.

The Rams had only given up one TD pass in the prior 2 games and pass defense was considered a team strength - Allen carved them up before the weird call and protection started to break down late in the 3rd then came on strong again when he had to. On Allen's 3rd TD throw in the 1st half the body language of the Rams defense said everything. They had no answers and had basically accepted a TD was happening.

Edited by WideNine

Beane is a ****ing GENIUS, getting Davis in the 4th and trading a first for Diggs rather than trying for one of the first round receivers this year.  A 99.9% sure thing and a low-risk high-reward pick on a productive 6'2" 210 lb big receiver we badly needed.

• Like (+1) 2