Gabriel Davis on the 4th and 9 late PI call

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Just wanted to give Gabe Davis his propers for the work he put in (and I mean work) on that 4th and 9 play that saved the day today.

The corner got a great jam on him and if he had allowed himself to be redirected in that instant, the pass falls incomplete anyways, the flag never comes out and the Bills take a brutal loss. Instead he fought like a goddamned tiger all the way through the route, gave the DB more than he was ready to handle and drew a huuuge penalty that actually changed the W/L column.  That killer effort was the only reason the side judge threw that flag (or maybe because he knew he had blown the call on the Kroft non-INT and was subconsciously looking for a place to square it up ; - )

Most young players are not so proactive in big moments like that and would panic and try to alter their route, but the fact that Davis' natural instinct was to fight like hell when it was all on the line bodes very, very well for his future in this league.

It's not something you're going to see talked about on highlight shows, on message boards or on radio programs but it is absolutely something that gets noticed in the locker room where it counts. So congrats Gabriel on another great day and for continuing to earn the respect of both your teammates and your opponents (but mostly your teammates, cuz **** your opponents). Keep it up and they'll be throwing love and money at you before you know it.

I think you're exactly right.  It was an impressive effort.  He created the penalty.   Playing hard makes all the difference.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Davis looked good all game.  That PI--he was like a cagey NBA veteran drawing a a foul with a kickout on his defender on a jumpshot (even though he initiated contact).  Smart move to force the ref to throw the flag.  The game was over...

The first thing that popped into my head was an NHL winger who draws a holding penalty by keeping his feet moving.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This kid could really be something--especially in this Offense.

Yeah, he's a natural ballplayer and obviously a very quick study.

I don't know that there's a dime in the NFL that is going to be able to handle him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Just wanted to give Gabe Davis his propers for the work he put in (and I mean work) on that 4th and 9 play that saved the day today.

The corner got a great jam on him and if he had allowed himself to be redirected in that instant, the pass falls incomplete anyways, the flag never comes out and the Bills take a brutal loss. Instead he fought like a goddamned tiger all the way through the route, gave the DB more than he was ready to handle and drew a huuuge penalty that actually changed the W/L column.  That killer effort was the only reason the side judge threw that flag (or maybe because he knew he had blown the call on the Kroft non-INT and was subconsciously looking for a place to square it up ; - )

Most young players are not so proactive in big moments like that and would panic and try to alter their route, but the fact that Davis' natural instinct was to fight like hell when it was all on the line bodes very, very well for his future in this league.

It's not something you're going to see talked about on highlight shows, on message boards or on radio programs but it is absolutely something that gets noticed in the locker room where it counts. So congrats Gabriel on another great day and for continuing to earn the respect of both your teammates and your opponents (but mostly your teammates, cuz **** your opponents). Keep it up and they'll be throwing love and money at you before you know it.

And bro, this was his 3rd game , in his rookie year with limited practice. 

This kid looks and plays like a first rounder..

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m so excited about Davis. Very rarely does a 4th round Rookie come in and make big plays this quickly, with such savvy. He seems like a big time steal

Spittin' image of Robert Woods, before he went wherever he went...

• Haha (+1) 1

He's quickly getting a reputation as a guy that catches everything thrown his way. We didn't have that guy on the team last year. He made game changing plays in 2 close wins this year. Sky is the limit for him. Admittedly I don't know how consistently he is getting separation and running good routes but it's hard to argue with the results.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Just to add to this wonderful post - Gabe Davis’ effort can be seen on several plays the past 3 games. Seems like every time Allen is scrambling, Davis keeps working against the DB to get open - that effort is what is earning him targets. Of course it doesn’t hurt that, besides max effort, he does run precise routes and has great hands.

Glad Beane drafted him - FWIW, I was against us drafting a WR after getting Diggs.

He's playing like a veteran for sure.  I don't know if John Brown is going to miss any games with his injury, but the Bills still have three receivers in Diggs Beasley and Davis that would be a considered a threesome for most teams.  

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Best post I’ve seen all day.  Thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Post of the day.

• Like (+1) 1