How can we improve this defence?

Niagara Dude

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean if healthy Josh Norman is available this coming week.

An aging Josh Norman is hardly going to put a dent in this struggling defense. We need a young dynamic pass rusher. We need a real Mike. We need a compliment to White. Everyone on Defense played terrible today. 

The Rams left tackle Whitworth is dominant and probably hall of fame bound....

Jerry Hughes has been a non-factor for a while. I think he had off-season groin surgery and if you have never had a groin pull/tear you have no idea how much that effects you. You absolutely lose any lateral burst. So not sure Jerry is at 100%, but his name has not been called very much for many games. He has not been the same player, but he was going against an all pro and the Rams often keep Everette in as an extra blocker.

Addison was neutralized too.

This was a game where we had to get penetration into their backfield to help blow up the reverses and fakes, to deny Goff a pocket to step into, to keep their running back from getting a head of steam hitting the gaps. For much of the game we did not move the line, nor set the edges in a meaningful way.

I like Taron in run support, but he is a liability covering the slot was caught peeking into the backfield and missing his assignments and was burnt for the 31 yard gainer to Roberts as he let him blow right by and Edmunds had to clean it up.

That motion of Woods cutting between Goff and the RB and how slick the fake is when he gets the ball is definitely something Dabs should put in the Bills arsenal. Had our DE's completely looking the wrong way at the fake to the RB and leaning inside instead of driving up field setting the edge. White's tackling has been suspect.

Woods really took it to us this game. Liked him as a Bill and I was not wrong about him...tough competitor. 

But that d-line play or scheme......oooo boy. Needs some work, as they were getting powned.

Look at the LOS below, a wall of Rams blocking a yard deep on our side. The runner is just on the other side of 93-Murphy who is engaged with a blocker 81?, but setting the edge. The runner has a gaping hole between RT and TE-Higbee, Edmunds is chasing Woods-17 (does not have the ball) and taking himself out of the play, 90-Jefferson was not able to anchor much today and often was turned completely around and washed out with his back to the play much like on this play. A lot of the same things we saw last year that they tightened up, but never quite fixed.

Will be curious what changes McD makes.

BillsRunD.thumb.jpg.b2064943c3410a19622f880dda587d58.jpg

9 hours ago, delirious said:

I want another big person on the line that can spell Butler.  I like Harry, but I want someone huge at the 1T spot, like a Sam Adams, Vince Wilfork, Marcel Dareus, Haloti Ngata body type.  Someone that doesn't get moved at the line of scrimmage and takes up a lot of space

Are you saying that big people can not spell Butler?  It is not like they are trying to spell defencse.

First, they are not as bad as you may think.  Going into this game they were fifth overall.....going by yards.  After this game they will take a big hit.  Sometimes the higher ranked defenses are on teams that have weak offenses....the games tend to be low scoring and close, kind of like  the Bills of the last couple years kind of fall into that group.  Things have changed, the offense can score points and put the other team in a hole.  When you have a team that does that it provided a good chance for the other team to get a lot of yards and points.  They need to learn how to play with  a lead, get to the QB and cause some turnovers.

I think the D may just not be quite as good as we have thought of them as, they need to evolve this year to form a better match with the offense.   They played a lot of weak teams last year, a lot of QB's with very little experience.  This year the schedule is loaded with quality quarterbacks, we say that yesterday.  McVeigh and Goff have had a lot of success, they were a super bowl team two years ago.  Moving forward, its Carr, TanneyHill (Not Mariotta), Mahomes, Darnold, Newton, Wilson, Murray, Herbert, Garrappolo, Roethlisburger (not the chumps from last year), Lock, Newton, Fitz.

Overall that list is way superior than the list of nobodys they played last year.  Maybe there will be some changes, but all in all, this year is a lot more challenging for this years defense.

15 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Refs get paid to call the games as unbiased as possible. When they do make up calls and pick on a specific player it makes the game look scripted like a WWE match. 

Oh I fid it unprofessional all right, but no doubt Hughes has got under their skin. Hell, remember the 15 yard rough penalty for giving celebration strikes to his... teammate?

I saw Donald getting held in the 4th quarter, and complaining legitimately to the ref about the no call. Well, I saw Hughes again getting mugged multiple times today, zero calls.

17 hours ago, jayg said:

Came here for this, "defense" and "defence" are both correct. Pretty sure the US is the only english speaking country that uses the former, everywhere else uses the latter. Now that that's said, this thread is meaningless. Defense has an all-around bad week and we're calling in the auxiliaries.

Most of the issues present here are ongoing in the Edmunds thread, and are just as hot if not hotter refuse there as they are here. Let's see how this defense comes out against a tough run game with Jacobs in Vegas. 

22 hours ago, Lurker said:

Edmunds is the key.   He can't keep being MIA.    If that means lighting a fire under him by giving Dodson some snaps, so be it.   

Up to this point, McD has coddled Edmunds, who seems exempt from the "have to earn it" mantra for the rest of the team...

I agree. I'm tired of hearing the "he's only 21" arguments. He's making the same mistakes as he did his rookie year. I know he and White are fighting injuries but eventually a move to the outside will have to be made. 

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Came here for this, "defense" and "defence" are both correct. Pretty sure the US is the only english speaking country that uses the former, everywhere else uses the latter. Now that that's said, this thread is meaningless. Defense has an all-around bad week and we're calling in the auxiliaries.

Most of the issues present here are ongoing in the Edmunds thread, and are just as hot if not hotter refuse there as they are here. Let's see how this defense comes out against a tough run game with Jacobs in Vegas. 

Well governor when I move to London town I'll be sure to slot that "c" in there.