How can we improve this defence?

Niagara Dude

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think fans have been spoiled by having a top 5 defense for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Guess what? We might not have that this year. We may slip into the teens.

The Rams have a very good offense and a very good coach.

But why? Losing Lawson and Phillips? The defense should not have regressed. Even White doesn’t look good out there. Maybe McDermott should take over play calling again

30 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

But why? Losing Lawson and Phillips? The defense should not have regressed. Even White doesn’t look good out there. Maybe McDermott should take over play calling again

It's a new season. New opponent's. New offenses. In the NFL you have to be continually adjusting.

Plus Edmunds and Milano are likely not 100%. Wallace his been figured out.

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

This, and Lawson is better against the run than Murphy. Too much of an overhaul to the D-line. 

Offenses are gearing up the passing game and the QB's around the league are just better than before... The Bills D has not kept up with the changes, they can't cover elite receivers and the pass rush is mediocre at best... they need to change out a few players fast, one corner and one LB for sure ASAP...

Pass rush folks. How often the D ALMOST got to Goff, only for Goff to make the pass? Pass rush needs to get there a split second faster, and McDermott may need to commit to more blitzing in distance situations.  An offense like the Rams with a good QB and good WRs and a good schemer in McVay, they’re going to find 15-20 yards in a heavy zone with little pressure. 

Bills might regret not getting in on Yannick or Clowney this off-season. 

I’m not too worried about the Run D. That’s more of a concern without Josh Allen, where we play from behind consistently. Also the Run might give up some plays, but for the most part they’ll make enough plays where it comes down to stoping 3rd and long. That’s pressure 

Our corners aren’t a huge issue. White got beat noticeably once on a play where he was asked to chase a fast WR clear across the field - an impossible task on that one. Sure Levi gives up some plays, but really this D got killed between the hashes, and that points more to the safeties, backers and again - pass rush 

2 hours ago, artmalibu said:

looking like Star is better than what some people think. 

he always was better than what some fans gave him credit for...but he also didn’t make any difference at times either.  The Philadelphia game was a great example of a team that ran all over the Bills when he was in the game.  

I think it’s flawed to think his absences would’ve resulted in a significantly different result today

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's a new season. New opponent's. New offenses. In the NFL you have to be continually adjusting.

Plus Edmunds and Milano are likely not 100%. Wallace his been figured out.

Wallace wasn’t the problem today and Milano defended Higbee today.  Take a look at his stat line.  

It comes down to Edmunds.  He didn’t play well

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Wallace wasn’t the problem today and Milano defended Higbee today.  Take a look at his stat line.  

Edmunds was indeed a problem today. He needs to wrap up instead of just hit. But he definately wasn't 100%. He was limited all week in a red non-contact jersey.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I think fans have been spoiled by having a top 5 defense for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Guess what? We might not have that this year. We may slip into the teens.

The Rams have a very good offense and a very good coach.

Are the Dolphins a very good Offense?

21 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

he always was better than what some fans gave him credit for...but he also didn’t make any difference at times either.  The Philadelphia game was a great example of a team that ran all over the Bills when he was in the game.  

I think it’s flawed to think his absences would’ve resulted in a significantly different result today

White was weak today as well

No Star. No Jordan Phillips. No light coming on for Oliver or Edmunds. No Norman. Even when they were blitzing they weren't getting home and that is a bad sign. And the run defense is just non-existent. Not good when playing a team like the Titans in couple weeks.

Edited by Luka

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think anyone watching today and even last week have to be concerned at the amount of long drives this defence is giving up.  Other than just saying play better,  what suggestions do you guys have to get this defence to get stops and get off the field?  It seemed like not one guy could make a big play in the second half and we cannot expect to win like this every week.

Try not to lump last weeks performance with this weeks. Edmunds and Milano were injured and I'm not so sure Edmund's wasn't rushed back a week too soon. All those missed tackles could be shoulder related. The other problem was Sean and Leslie called off the dogs with pressure on Goff after 28 to 3. McVay took full advantage of the prevent defense with runs and crossing patterns for Woods,  Kupp the tight end.  Let's see the adjustments against Vegas. 

I want another big person on the line that can spell Butler.  I like Harry, but I want someone huge at the 1T spot, like a Sam Adams, Vince Wilfork, Marcel Dareus, Haloti Ngata body type.  Someone that doesn't get moved at the line of scrimmage and takes up a lot of space

Edited by delirious

The whole league is starting slow on defense. Most points scored in NFL history through week 2 thus far. I expect us to improve as well as the league as a whole. Hopefully we can get ahead of the curve. From what the eye sees, lot of fatigue, difficulty keeping up with so many multiple 4-5 WR sets. Defenses look two steps behind right now, not the usual one. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They need to trade for a pass rusher. Posted it last week but was killed for it. Everyone saying Fitz just got the ball out quick.  No pass rush from front four all day. I think LA got away with at least three holds but for the most part the Bills front 4 was dominated. 

I’ve been thinking this for two games now. We don’t have one dominant player on the Dline and we’re is ed Oliver 

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Play teams with bad offenses like last year?

I decided to actually go and check, and holy crap they were they bad (average rank was 21). We played 4 games against the bottom 3 offenses (jets, skins, steelers), 4 more games against bottom 7 offenses (broncos, dolphins, bengals), and the giants and browns were ranked 23rd and 22nd. Plus the titans were ranked 12th, but we got to play their crappy Mariota-led offense.

Scoring is up across the league.

Lack of offseason and preseason and lack of fans in stands is hurting defenses more than offenses.

Things will even out over time. 

I'm not the least bit worried that a McDermott/Frazier coached defense with almost the entire roster back is suddenly terrible. Ain't happenin.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Scoring is up across the league.

Lack of offseason and preseason and lack of fans in stands is hurting defenses more than offenses.

Things will even out over time. 

I'm not the least bit worried that a McDermott/Frazier coached defense with almost the entire roster back is suddenly terrible. Ain't happenin.

Good point. I think we just did not expect to be losing after we had a 28-3 lead.

The one thing I did not understand from today's defensive game plan was why did we have our Linebackers covering Cooper Kupp?

• Like (+1) 1