How can we improve this defence?

Niagara Dude

I think anyone watching today and even last week have to be concerned at the amount of long drives this defence is giving up.  Other than just saying play better,  what suggestions do you guys have to get this defence to get stops and get off the field?  It seemed like not one guy could make a big play in the second half and we cannot expect to win like this every week.

Pass rush visibly tired in second half. Conditioning will improve game by game. But long term we have to get younger. We are taking a DE in the first round in 2021.

LB discipline needs to improve - can’t have Edmunds biting and overpursuing on every fake.

But I am not worried. Two years ago we faced the same situation and McD was able to fix it in-season. I bet we will hear just two words in every interview the next week - Lane Integrity Lane Integrity Lane Integrity.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Dodson in for edmunds

Edmunds is the key.   He can't keep being MIA.    If that means lighting a fire under him by giving Dodson some snaps, so be it.   

Up to this point, McD has coddled Edmunds, who seems exempt from the "have to earn it" mantra for the rest of the team...

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, KGun12TD said:

WE NEED BETTER PLAYERS?

1 minute ago, thronethinker said:

We need more pass rush. Not sure how we get it. You take what you can get, they just beat an undefeated team, 

This looked a little like Houston playoff game where we had big lead and defence folded in second half.

I'd say don't worry about it. The league has changed and our D is plenty good enough to support a now productive offense.

We literally allowed them to Run today in order to take away play action passes and the screen game. It was a very modern strategy and requires (again) having an offense that can produce. We are just not used to this as Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't worry about it. Lack of a preseason has hurt a lot...highest scoring first 2 weeks in NFL history says a lot that it isn't just us struggling to catch up to offenses...

Around midseason we should start seeing a difference

I think fans have been spoiled by having a top 5 defense for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Guess what? We might not have that this year. We may slip into the teens.

The Rams have a very good offense and a very good coach.

5 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

We need more pass rush. Not sure how we get it. You take what you can get, they just beat an undefeated team, 

I think Hughes needs to write poetry, and sing it to the refs. As usual he's getting mugged out there and not holding calls to the linemen who arm choke him. IDK what he used to say to the refs but damn they dislike him LOL