Cody Ford at LG; Quinton Spain benched

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

It's a personnel issue and less of a financial one.  Pro Personnel or the leadership at OBD decided Spain was worthy of an extension, yet 3 games in he's on the bench.

If that isn't concerning about their talent evaluation, then I don't know what to tell you.

What does Josh Allen, Tre White, Singletary, Dawkins and others say about their talent evaluation?  Or are we only going to focus on a player that was benched?

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He was their most consistent offensive lineman last year, so they have him an extension for modest money that they can easily get out of. What’s the problem?

I'll put it another way.  If someone is promoted up a rank at your work site and then a few months later is demoted, how is that to be viewed?  As a positive?  I'm sure it'd be mystifying to others in the office/site.  

Look, I get that people aren't going to condemn pro personnel because TBD is an echo chamber in many respects.  Spain being benched 2+ games gives me pause in other pro personnel decisions in how they assess whom to keep.  

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What does Josh Allen, Tre White, Singletary, Dawkins and others say about their talent evaluation?  Or are we only going to focus on a player that was benched?

Tre hasn't been looking all that great since his big pay day, but it's early.  Dawkins just began his extension.  

Allen and Singletary are on their rookie deals. Allen isn't up until after 2020 and Singletary isn't up until after 2021.  

What's your point?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Maynard said:

I was wondering where the hell Spain was. Had no idea he was benched!!!

Here you go:

Spain is located in southwestern Europe. Spain is bordered by the Bay of Biscay, the Balearic Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Alboran Sea; Portugal to the west and France and Andorra to the north. To the south, across the Strait of Gibraltar, the semi-enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla are bordered by Morocco.

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'll put it another way.  If someone is promoted up a rank at your work site and then a few months later is demoted, how is that to be viewed?  As a positive?  I'm sure it'd be mystifying to others in the office/site.  

Look, I get that people aren't going to condemn pro personnel because TBD is an echo chamber in many respects.  Spain being benched 2+ games gives me pause in other pro personnel decisions in how they assess whom to keep.  

Tre hasn't been looking all that great since his big pay day, but it's early.  Dawkins just began his extension.  

Allen and Singletary are on their rookie deals. Allen isn't up until after 2020 and Singletary isn't up until after 2021.  

What's your point?

Just above you stated “its a personnel issue and less of a financial one”.

But then you bring up the contracts of the players you listed. 

Yes or no....are free agents or draft picks evaluated before they are brought to Buffalo?  Or are they only evaluated after signing an extension with the Bills and then benched? 

16 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

What's your point?

Well your scenario is apples to oranges at best.

Where I work, and just about everywhere else, you get promoted for what you’ve done. If your performance slips, you can be demoted just as quickly. Is that an indictment of the people doing the promoting or the person being demoted? A much greater offense would be to stick with an underperforming person and not recognizing the issue.

And there’s no point in getting high and mighty about echo chambering...aren’t you the poster that used to destroy the organization for not spending money? Here they’ve extended a player that was very good for them and it somehow bothers you that it might not have been a great investment.

Guys get benched. It happens. Sometimes a player has a rough patch; sometimes he gets too comfortable after getting paid. You’d like to believe that executives would see it coming, but that doesn’t always happen.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

My bad.  Being an overly butt hurt fan yesterday.  Was particularly fed up with the Allen flack on the postgames.  Seemed like everyone was focusing on the bad instead of the good, and acting like the Bills were handed the game.  Big Mea Culpa for being a jerk on my end.

no it’s all good.  No problem.  

Josh is a wild man and it’s working in the Bills favor.  He shouldn’t need all these 4th Q comebacks if the D is legit.  

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's a personnel issue and less of a financial one.  Pro Personnel or the leadership at OBD decided Spain was worthy of an extension, yet 3 games in he's on the bench.

If that isn't concerning about their talent evaluation, then I don't know what to tell you.

His talent is worth his contract money.  It's not even about the talent if they think someone can do a better job (which seems debatable).

He may be starting again next week.

ALSO, you do realize that the Bills have 5 OL players facing free agency next year.

Feliciano, Williams, Winters, Nsekhe and Boettger.  Spain's extension was smart and needed.

Finally, IF and that's a big IF Beane and McDermott wanted to move on from Spain next year he carries only one million in dead cap.

In 2022 it's only 500k.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

so they may have made a mistake with Spain and you're concerned about the overall talent evaluation? 

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

Here you go:

Spain is located in southwestern Europe. Spain is bordered by the Bay of Biscay, the Balearic Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Alboran Sea; Portugal to the west and France and Andorra to the north. To the south, across the Strait of Gibraltar, the semi-enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla are bordered by Morocco.

What’s a Europe? 

21 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Brian Winters was a lil sloppy at times. But other than that - the OL appears to be gelling well. Am happy with their play - especially the interior - Donald was a beast and, for the most part, they (and a scrambling Allen) kept him at bay.

In the second half that is a big understatement, but yes he had a tough assignment.

The entire O Line after the Bills go to 28 seemed to disintegrate, the last quarter was particularly dreadful.  J Allen running around like a chicken with his head cut off at time, not sure if it was his fault, the O Line , the receivers or a combination.

19 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not enough talk about Darryl Williams though - he’s the best right tackle we’ve had here in quite awhile.  Need to keep him past this year.

Have to agree wit this for sure.   Right Tackle for years was one of the Bills weakest spots. Recall Eric Pears followed by Cyrus Kouandijio  followed by several years of Jordan Mills.

19 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not enough talk about Darryl Williams though - he’s the best right tackle we’ve had here in quite awhile.  Need to keep him past this year.

Have to agree wit this for sure.   Right Tackle for years was one of the Bills weakest spots. Recall Eric Pears followed by Cyrus Kouandijio  followed by several years of Jordan Mills.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, Doc said:

I don’t care where they lineup as long as they get the best five guys out there.  Speaking of which, any word on Dawkins?

I feel with that lineup, right guard is the weakest link and can be upgraded.

Many felt JF was our best lineman last year. I am surprised by this thought of yours. Or are you saying the others are just very solid now and JF goes to the low spot on the totem pole?

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

They also gave themselves an out after this season where he only counts 1M against the cap for 1 year if the release him.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves during the season.

10 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Good thing they just re-signed Spain to a contract extension.  :o

https://overthecap.com/player/quinton-spain/4612/

An extension they can easily get rid of after THIS season.  Overreact much?

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

What's your point?

What’s your point?  That Beane isn’t a good Gm?  That he can’t evaluate talent?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hope that translates as them putting their best guard back on the field next week. I honestly think they prefer Winters as a run blocker and wanted to go run heavy in the plan. The thing is Josh is so darn good when the game is in his hands that they daren't get away from it. 

Spain should play. He is better than Winters. That might have been Ford's best start as a pro though at left guard so maybe they try Spain on the right side?

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I am more concerned about the coaching decision to bench Spain than the personnel decision to pay him. The coaching decision was the wrong one.

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Many felt JF was our best lineman last year. I am surprised by this thought of yours. Or are you saying the others are just very solid now and JF goes to the low spot on the totem pole?

I heard the opposite about JF, outside of RT. But I do feel the other spots have been upgraded.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am more concerned about the coaching decision to bench Spain than the personnel decision to pay him. The coaching decision was the wrong one.

We're going to find out.  Spain, Winters, and Ford represent their top 3 active guard options and 2 will line up on Sunday.