McDermott's coaching

Penfield45

3 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Nope. But I do want to ban trolls.

Unfortunately that's not what this is. Our team was outscored 29-0 today while we gave up a 28 - 3 lead. You may have a competing thought as to why that was, but a failure on the part of the coaching staff is an extremely valid perspective.

Edited by BullBuchanan

5 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Is this something we need to be concerned about? Another game where we give up a huge lead and let a team comeback. It's happened against good teams and against mediocre teams. Today he was totally bailed out by Allen for what would have been a disaster of a game. McD's lack of in game adjustments and conservativeness at times hurts us. McD didn't learn anything from the Texans game last season. 

We are 3-0 yes but sometimes I wonder if he is truly the coach to take us all the way. 

3-0?

Fire em all.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Unfortunately that's not what this is. Our team was outscored 29-0 today. You may have a competing thought as to why that was, but a failure on the part of the coaching staff is an extremely valid perspective.

Really? 

The way I remember it (and I don't think my memory is THAT bad... it was only like 4-5 hours ago), our team outscored the Los Angeles Rams, 35-32.

Just double checked. Yeah, I remembered it correctly.

Welcome to the NFL where the other guys get paid a shitload of money to try to win also. And don't forget, this was a Super Bowl team two years ago, and is largely unchanged since then.

buflarfinal.PNG

Just now, CLTbills said:

Really? 

The way I remember it (and I don't think my memory is THAT bad... it was only like 4-5 hours ago), our team outscored the Los Angeles Rams, 35-32.

Just double checked. Yeah, I remembered it correctly.

Welcome to the NFL where the other guys get paid a shitload of money to try to win also. And don't forget, this was a Super Bowl team two years ago, and is largely unchanged since then.

buflarfinal.PNG

It seems you blacked out for almost a half of football.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What?

The HC is a defensive guy. His defense was a disaster after the Rams made adjustments.

Maybe I don't see what these "adjustments" are as much as others.  It seems to me that in the 2nd half the Rams came out winning in both trenches.

Is that adjustments or is that players seeing a desperate situation and playing very hard. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I don’t know. I heard all offseason how awesome this defense was.... it’s not. At all. I thought Rex was back on the sidelines for a minute. Thankfully Allen kicks ass. 

But that is what I would like to know.  What fans say about the team doesn't really affect me the way it does you.

Everyone with half a football brain can see the Bills have gone into the dressing room at halftime this year way ahead and doing great.

They then come out flat.  I just would like to know if that's "coaching" like you claim or more the players "attitude" like I believe.

I'm not bad mouthing the players, it's natural to have a let down after they have been kicking butt in the 1st half's.  These are pro NFL teams and the

difference between playing well and getting beat is very slim.

I'm sure it's seen by everyone on the team and I wonder if during this weeks presser both the coaches and players (especially the leaders) answer questions

that should be asked.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Is this something we need to be concerned about? Another game where we give up a huge lead and let a team comeback. It's happened against good teams and against mediocre teams. Today he was totally bailed out by Allen for what would have been a disaster of a game. McD's lack of in game adjustments and conservativeness at times hurts us. McD didn't learn anything from the Texans game last season. 

We are 3-0 yes but sometimes I wonder if he is truly the coach to take us all the way. 

In what ways did he coach conservatively? 

• Like (+1) 1

These are not excuses, I'm just trying to look at it objectively (with a little of my Bills bias of course).

The team we played today is only 19 months removed from being a Super Bowl team and they haven't lost much talent since then. Their coach is well recognized as a great offensive mind. They were also 2-0 coming in. Edmunds and Milano were both coming back from injury...who is to say that they were playing at 100% today. Injuries may have still been lingering. And the Rams play a stretch/zone run offense that is very difficult to defend and often leaves runs up the gut more open, because the defense gets stretched out. And it also tires them out, because it is a lot of running, chasing the motion men and the sweeps, reverses, and screens. The Rams were on the field so much in the third quarter, that our guys starting getting gassed. (And don't forget that their conditioning is probably not up to the level of a normal week 3, because of the crazy offseason.) Plus, the Rams are just one of the best at running that type of offense, due to the threat that Woods is on those runs and all of their team speed.

As to the third quarter issue, and I'd have to go back to last year's games to get a full picture, but we were leading at the half in every game (at least this year). So, it is the other team that needs to make significant adjustments at the half. And it is really hard to decipher what those adjustments might be until you see them. So, I'm wondering if it takes them some time in the third quarter to see how the other team changed things and then to address it. Obviously, it would be great if that process could happen more quickly, but the Bills are the ones having to react to the adjustments coming out of the half (when up). You aren't going to change your plan completely (other than adding a few wrinkles), until the other team shows they can stop it. So, is it partially a product of being up on the scoreboard at the half? 

Plus, even the great defenses (the ones that end up in the top 5 at the end of the year) get scorched by a great offense a couple of times in a season. I still have total faith in this defense and its coaching staff. The Rams offense is just damn good. For anyone to be questioning McDermott's coaching ability seems somewhat ridiculous to me. I mean go for it, be concerned about it, but this man has brought more to Bills football than any coach since Marv. Even if his staff's third quarter adjustments are a little slow in coming, I will accept that flaw for everything else that he brings to the table. As coach said in his own postgame speech, "There's one quality that I take over any piece of talent out there, and that's heart."

The only thing that I would say is that the players need to develop a "don't let them up" attitude when they have the lead. That "go for the jugular" mindset...rather than relaxing a bit. But, to me that is on the players, not the coaches. The coaches stayed aggressive...McDermott didn't all of a sudden become conservative as the OP said. They were still blitzing, they were still throwing the ball downfield. Maybe the team is just still learning to be in that position (up big early...it's not a place they have often been until the very end of last season). 

And then sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team for executing their plays.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Didn’t they score 3 points in that Super Bowl? 

I think they’ll get it together too, but was concerning to see the Rams score on Essentially every offensive possession in the 2nd half with ease needing a PI call to bail them out from what would’ve be an epic disaster of a loss. 

The Bills scored on every possession after the first 3-and-out. Is anyone questioning genius-boy McVay? And, in the end, the Rams lost. The Bills won and I’m not overly concerned. Let’s not start with the “fire a coach” talk. A few weeks go it was Daboll, now it’s Frazier. Get over it.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they’ll get it together too, but was concerning to see the Rams score on Essentially every offensive possession in the 2nd half with ease needing a PI call to bail them out from what would’ve be an epic disaster of a loss. 

We all seen the 2nd half there is no need to beat it into the ground.  @folz gave a reasonable explanation and one that I happen to agree with.  We have no idea                         what is said inside the locker room or OBD during the week about this.

IF it is on the players McDermott is NOT going to throw them under the bus.  If it is more "adjustment" of "game planning" then

both the coaches and players need to work together to straighten it out. 

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I don’t know. I heard all offseason how awesome this defense was.... it’s not. At all. I thought Rex was back on the sidelines for a minute. Thankfully Allen kicks ass. 

And you thought our defense was trash all offseason?  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

To me it appeared the D was running out of steam. Something the fast pace of the Rams O began to capitalize on IMO.

It doesn't surprise me the stamina of teams is being tested early on in the season. Especially on the D side of the ball. Its hard to simulate live game action in practices. 

No 12th man to help energize the Team.

Myself personally, If the Ralph was full of screaming Bills fans the Ram comeback never even happens IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably a little of both....McD looked a little too happy post game after getting bailed out by his QB(and the refs) from blowing a 28-3 lead where his defense couldn’t stop anything. 

After getting “bailed out by his QB and the refs”.....

how did the refs bail him out?  By calling a penalty on a play where a penalty was committed?  It was a foul. Our rookie WR made a helluva play.  

I thought his QB helped him win the game....while you see it as bailing him out.  Josh allen is McDs QB.  McD is the HC.  He isn’t “the defense” just because his background is as a DC.  The negative connotations just never end with you.  It’s quite depressing tbh.  

38 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Everyone with half a football brain can see the Bills have gone into the dressing room at halftime this year way ahead and doing great.

They then come out flat.  I just would like to know if that's "coaching" like you claim or more the players "attitude" like I believe.

I'm not bad mouthing the players, it's natural to have a let down after they have been kicking butt in the 1st half's.  These are pro NFL teams and the

difference between playing well and getting beat is very slim.

The players have absolutely come out of halftime with no edge this year, probably because they have been dominating teams in the first half so far.

Today I even commented in the game thread during the first possession of the 3rd qrtr how much half-stepping was going on out there with the defense.

I'm seeing the same thing as you and there's not a whole lot a coach can do about it; at this level you cant' waste time coaching effort.

These guys need to come together and hold each other accountable.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yeah, the Rams fell flat in that Super Bowl, but they were still good enough to get there (even if it took a bad call by the refs in the Championship game). Just saying, they are obviously a talented team.

And I also did't mention the fact that the horrible INT call by the refs totally changed the momentum of the game...and two of those 3rd quarter TDs by the Rams came on short fields thanks to the BS INT call and the Josh Allen fumble (that maybe could have been called roughing the passer, not due to horse collar, but because of the way that he slung him down. A lot of other QBs would have gotten that call--and then to add some salt in the wounds, they give Josh a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty to really set the Rams up...already in FG range). If those two calls went our way, the Rams would not have had that amazing offensive output. They would probably have still been down 10-14 points late in the 4th, rather than up by 4. But, as we all know as Bills fans, we have to live with and overcome what the refs do too.

I'm not saying the defense didn't get gashed, they did. But, I don't think its because all of a sudden this defense sucks and we are going to get gashed by any halfway decent team. I just think there were so many other factors today to be too down on the defense. They'll turn it around...but the elite offenses of this league are going to get theirs too, no defense stops everyone all season long. Hopefully this and maybe the Chiefs game will be the worst of it.

• Like (+1) 2