Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Weird. I saw a lot of Herbert praise for hanging in there with the Chiefs. Not so much, "Pat Mahomes is unbelievable with 2 TD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe we listen to different stations.

Agreed. Indeed I have heard multiple people this week question the Chiefs slow starts and whether Mahomes and Reid combined need to change some things up in the first quarter especially. Yes people said he made an amazing play on the long touchdown late but nobody I have heard said Mahomes played a good game. He decidedly didn't.

7 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

Kroft did nothing wrong.   He went up and caught the ball.   Josh threw a perfect ball to him.    It could have been anyone on the receiving end that could have had that called an int.  If all the dB has to do is run over and grab the ball after the play is made then anyone is susceptible to an int.   That's why the rules default to the receiver having possession if they both come end up holding on to the ball.   I guess the refs did say Kroft pushed off but still has nothing to do with wrongly being called an int.  I dont want Josh second guessing every throw that isn't wide open

I do think Kroft pushed off but then I saw almost the exact same push off go uncalled in SNF. As you say though, that is irrelevant to the INT. I think it should have been a completed pass, negated by an OPI penalty, replay 1st down. 1st and 28 from the Bills 11 yard line. While that puts us behind the sticks I am not betting against this Josh Allen getting 28 yards in 3 plays.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Dean said:

And  1 INT, even thought it was a BS call.

I’m not counting it. It is the same way that I handled the 1st game Tyrod played where they lined him up as a WR on the first play and then went in at QB. That was a win for him in my book and this asinine INT will be viewed the same way.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, rayray808 said:

To clarify with the INT: debate the call all you want. It was a TERRIBLE throw that I have not seen him attempt since his rookie year. A cross body heave into the wilderness. 

For a QB on his THIRD YEAR to be in the A range, you simply do not attempt plays like that. Couple that with the others and you have a B+. Yes we won, and that is awesome. Yes he is a gamer, that is obvious by now. However, if you guys want Super Bowls? You gotta get rid of stuff like that... plain and simple.

I disagree. Most great QBs have an undying belief in their arm and a high level trust in the guys they are throwing to. Go down the list of greats (Marino, Kelly, Elway, Manning, Favre, Rogers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Mahomes, etc.) They all forced throws like that at times throughout their careers. Sometimes it worked out... other times... not so much. 
what do all of those QBs have in common? They all played in Super Bowls. 
Do I think JA should have thrown that ball? Nope. But at the end of the day... that‘s what makes him who he is. You can’t completely coach that out of him and expect him to still be the gunslinger who has “ice in his veins” and wins 1/3 of every game he plays in on game winning drives. 

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Funny, all the other QBs get praised for throwing jump balls to their big targets downfield who are physical mismatches and can go up and highpoint the ball and come down with it (see: SNF). Just not Allen, it's reckless when he does it.

Not sure which play you're referring to from Sunday night as I didn't see all the game.  If I had to guess though it would be a Michael Thomas type of player.  As I said I'd have no problem with Allen throwing a pass like that to Diggs or a Gabe Davis who is a physical mismatch.  While Kroft certainly is very tall, I'd question his ability to out jump those around him.

Allen can make passes very few others can make, but he also needs to be smarter about it too and not throw into double coverage when there was a guy open underneath that would have given them enough for the 1st down. 

I think that was part of the Bills problem yesterday once they had the lead. You want to take time off the clock as best you can typically by running the ball.  For the Bills the pass is working better, so OK throw it, but take short throws that are similar to runs, more are completed so so keeps the clock running.  The defense ended up being on the field most of the 2nd half as the Bills couldn't keep drives going much once they had the lead.  Certainly two turnovers didn't help either.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not counting it. It is the same way that I handled the 1st game Tyrod played where they lined him up as a WR on the first play and then went. That was a win for him in my book and this asinine INT will be viewed the same way.

My view is I don't count it for the purposes of his evaluation. The stat is what it is. But anyone criticising Allen for throwing a pick is nuts. Call it an ill advised throw if you must, but even if you take that view it was an ill advised throw he got away with. Until a ref who must have some sort of disturbance to his brain function got involved.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not sure which play you're referring to from Sunday night as I didn't see all the game.  If I had to guess though it would be a Michael Thomas type of player.  As I said I'd have no problem with Allen throwing a pass like that to Diggs or a Gabe Davis who is a physical mismatch.  While Kroft certainly is very tall, I'd question his ability to out jump those around him.

He did out jump those around him though. And he caught the ball. He did push off so OPI. But he out jumped them, caught it, and came to the ground with possession. In the eyes of anyone with eyes.

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

TD throw to Marcedes Lewis IIRC, and Cris Codswallop commented after the break about throwing the ball up there to let your big target go "rebound that basketball." While a lesser yardage there's similarity to the Kroft play with the small push-off (not called because Saints get screwed more than Bills) and the late help coming from inside.

Edit: found it

Edited by Ralonzo

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My view is I don't count it for the purposes of his evaluation. The stat is what it is. But anyone criticising Allen for throwing a pick is nuts. Call it an ill advised throw if you must, but even if you take that view it was an ill advised throw he got away with. Until a ref who must have some sort of disturbance to his brain function got involved.

I really can’t wrap my head around how they deemed that the defense DEFINITELY intercepted that. Dual possession goes to the offense. They ruled that the DB definitely had that. 🤯

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I really can’t wrap my head around how they deemed that the defense DEFINITELY intercepted that. Dual possession goes to the offense. They ruled that the DB definitely had that. 🤯

Kroft's ass was CLEARLY on the ground with both hands still on the ball. There was a frame where it was as clear and obvious as possible. Even if the defender had his hands on it at that point it is, at worst, simultaneous possession.

Mind boggling.

• Like (+1) 1

b+

24/33 - 73% completion - 311 yards - 4 TDs 1 INT - 8 yards rushing - 1 rushing TD - 1 fumble

Just stop  JFC...    B+ with these stats. this worse than the "Tre is Meh"  thread,  impressive.

Bills fan at the finest...   Probably a relative  of someone that thought Frank should be the starter over Jim. 

Edited by gordong
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

TD throw to Marcedes Lewis IIRC, and Cris Codswallop commented after the break about throwing the ball up there to let your big target go "rebound that basketball." While a lesser yardage there's similarity to the Kroft play with the small push-off (not called because Saints get screwed more than Bills) and the late help coming from inside.

Edit: found it

I thought that was a push off too. I thought both were.