Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree it shouldn't have been an Int, but he also shouldn't have thrown into double coverage either, particularly with a guy like Kroft on the receiving end.  If it were Diggs back, then not as concerning taking the chance.  Very similar to last years deep pass to DeMarco.

Kroft did nothing wrong.   He went up and caught the ball.   Josh threw a perfect ball to him.    It could have been anyone on the receiving end that could have had that called an int.  If all the dB has to do is run over and grab the ball after the play is made then anyone is susceptible to an int.   That's why the rules default to the receiver having possession if they both come end up holding on to the ball.   I guess the refs did say Kroft pushed off but still has nothing to do with wrongly being called an int.  I dont want Josh second guessing every throw that isn't wide open

7 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Kroft did nothing wrong.   He went up and caught the ball.   Josh threw a perfect ball to him.    It could have been anyone on the receiving end that could have had that called an int.  If all the dB has to do is run over and grab the ball after the play is made then anyone is susceptible to an int.   That's why the rules default to the receiver having possession if they both come end up holding on to the ball.   I guess the refs did say Kroft pushed off but still has nothing to do with wrongly being called an int.  I dont want Josh second guessing every throw that isn't wide open

Agree not saying it was Krofts fault at all.  My point just that if you're going to throw into double coverage, it's always risky so make the throw to a more athletic guy like a Digg's.  If I were to bet on who would make a catch while being double teamed, Kroft would be one of the last guys I'd pick to throw to.

I didn't mind the pass where the referee ruled it an interception.  He threw a pass in the second tame where the window was just as tight.  I think Diggs was the recipient.  It turned into a big gain.  Allen held on the the ball too long on at least a couple sacks.  He's still young, but I can't give him the A+ because of that little bit of recklessness.  I think an A or A- is fair.

5 hours ago, rayray808 said:

we need to be more critical

no, we don't. We need to enjoy the ride while the kid continues to progress. He is on track/ahead of schedule. His floor has risen to "Playoff caliber QB" and his ceiling remains "Next guy after Mahomes".

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

a 5 touchdown game, including a game winning 4th quarter drive.   As always, your explanation doesn't justify your odd grade

I think he pulled the grade down because he felt Allen attempted to make some ill advised plays in the 4th quarter that a Franchise QB does not make, 

* The attempted lateral to the RB on the right side line 

* The big sack on 1st down that cost another 12 yards 

* The face mask penalty 

* The  fumble-recovery by Donald and the ensuing penalty 

*  The INT that changed the rhythm of the game.  There are times where you should feel that it is better to punt the ball rather than play Hero ball. 

Allen played like a true Franchise QB, but needs to eliminate mistakes (with the bigger picture in mind) and play situational football if he wants to win the SB

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think he pulled the grade down because he felt Allen attempted to make some ill advised plays in the 4th quarter that a Franchise QB does not make, 

* The attempted lateral to the RB on the right side line 

* The big sack on 1st down that cost another 12 yards 

* The face mask penalty 

* The  fumble-recovery by Donald and the ensuing penalty 

*  The INT that changed the rhythm of the game.  There are times where you should feel that it is better to punt the ball rather than play Hero ball. 

Allen played like a true Franchise QB, but needs to eliminate mistakes (with the bigger picture in mind) and play situational football if he wants to win the SB

yea franchise QBs don’t have Donald strip sack them or throw an interception.  

3 hours ago, JY422 said:

Russell Wilson May have something to say about this. Using your argument... IF they both duplicate the current numbers they are producing it will be the two greatest QB performances in history but Russell would win MVP. 

im assuming neither are going to keep up their pace.  So if either do, they are winning MVP.  Like you said, it would be the two greatest QB seasons ever

Edited by Crayola64
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

One thing is for sure: Allen is our long term QB.

Passing yards and passing TDs are coming every week.

We hit in that draft pick. Hrs definitely not a bust (Darnold might be).

Now the question is how good Allen can be. It's exciting! 

biggest thing is we see this year he can put up big passing numbers, this was always the fear with Allen. That he was going to be this 150-200 yard 2TD guy. 

He fixed a lot of his issues, if he keeps improving on those little mistakes and keeps up the consistency for 4Q's we are talking about a future top 5 QB

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

When the QB drops the ball and the opponent picks it up on the 5, it puts added pressure on the defense.

It's a team game.

He didnt just drop the ball.  He was whipped around like a rag doll by his collar.  I think most QBs probably would drop the ball there.

To clarify with the INT: debate the call all you want. It was a TERRIBLE throw that I have not seen him attempt since his rookie year. A cross body heave into the wilderness. 

For a QB on his THIRD YEAR to be in the A range, you simply do not attempt plays like that. Couple that with the others and you have a B+. Yes we won, and that is awesome. Yes he is a gamer, that is obvious by now. However, if you guys want Super Bowls? You gotta get rid of stuff like that... plain and simple.

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

He needs to throw it away earlier, especially when rolling left. 

Agreed.

It seems to me like he’s just so confident in his ability to escape sacks, that he waits til the last second.  Too often, but man, it’s exciting watching him shrug off these behemoths on the reg.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.

It seems to me like he’s just so confident in his ability to escape sacks, that he waits til the last second.  Too often, but man, it’s exciting watching him shrug off these behemoths on the reg.  

I do want Josh to play like how he does.   Even in that final drive, on one play he inhibited himself..He attempted a lateral pass to the receiver on the right inside of continuing to run.  The place where he ended up landing was 5 yards more than the place where the receive would have caught the ball.    And there was already a defender to stop the receiver from going forward. 

9 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

24/33 - 73% completion - 311 yards - 4 TDs 1 INT - 8 yards rushing - 1 rushing TD - 1 fumble

Before the pitchforks come out regarding my grade let me make one thing clear: Josh had some really bad plays that could/should have lost us the game... we still won, but it does not erase those head scratching, game crippling plays. You take those away? He has another A+ game. All I ask is you don't let the flashy fantasy scores blind your assessment of his play this week.

With that said, here is what I loved:

- Flawless first half of football. He was in command at all times and showed franchise qualities that he is indeed the dude.

- Trusting his WR's and spreading the ball all around the field

- a mix of fastballs and loft change ups - his touch is unreal right now (Diggs laser in the endzone vs Ramsey was amazing)

- He is our offense. 5 TD's total

most importantly...

- when things were bad, and we knew it was Josh Allen time, deep down I knew he would somehow pull it off. It reminded me of watching Brett Favre back in the day, or even Rodgers now. The 3rd down and long to Beez was just amazing. Then to follow it up with a game winner was must see TV!

As Josh progresses and starts becoming weekly MVP talk, we need to be more critical and hopefully clean up the head scratching moments. Yes, maybe the INT should not have counted, but it did and lead to a complete snowball effect of a Rams comeback. Yes, when he avoids the blitz he sometimes makes nice throws down the field however yelling at a ref after a play and taking sacks in moments where we absolutely cannot allow it just cannot happen if we want to win playoff games. Need proof? Watch our last playoff game.

Overall, Josh is playing at an incredible level and as a Bills fan I could not be happier. I invested tons of $$ in his rookie cards 3 years ago and right now those prices have absolutely sky rocketed. People are starting to believe, and I am sure networks are calling the league right now trying to get more Josh Allen on TV. B+ vs A-, who cares. We should all be celebrating as Bills fans. We have waited a LOOOONG TIME for this.

GO BILLS! 

😳 You’re trying to hold Allen to a standard you’ve set in your mind. Which is fine. You be you. I just hate reading it every Sunday night. 

Josh is Josh. He’ll likely always be both good and bad, given his incredible desire to win and possessing the rare physical tools necessary to achieve it. Ergo, your ‘Jekyll & Hyde assessment’ will never change, which makes it pretty meaningless.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree it shouldn't have been an Int, but he also shouldn't have thrown into double coverage either, particularly with a guy like Kroft on the receiving end.  If it were Diggs back, then not as concerning taking the chance.  Very similar to last years deep pass to DeMarco.

Funny, all the other QBs get praised for throwing jump balls to their big targets downfield who are physical mismatches and can go up and highpoint the ball and come down with it (see: SNF). Just not Allen, it's reckless when he does it.

4 hours ago, rayray808 said:

To clarify with the INT: debate the call all you want. It was a TERRIBLE throw that I have not seen him attempt since his rookie year. A cross body heave into the wilderness. 

For a QB on his THIRD YEAR to be in the A range, you simply do not attempt plays like that. Couple that with the others and you have a B+. Yes we won, and that is awesome. Yes he is a gamer, that is obvious by now. However, if you guys want Super Bowls? You gotta get rid of stuff like that... plain and simple.

Some of these arguments on this thread just baffle me. A throw that lands in his receivers hands is now a heave into the wilderness. If this is how far we have to strain to criticize the QB, then I'm satisfied the Bills got their guy.

• Like (+1) 2