Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness of the guys giving B+.... Josh did have two turnovers again. That is 2 out of 3 games he has turned it over twice. I can live with one turnover being an A- and that is what I gave because ultimately I don't count the INT. But I can understand where the B+ comes from. It comes from turning it over twice. 

I mean the INT sucked. It was a questionable toss by Josh but I will always live with taking shots downfield.

But the real reason why I think a B+ is reasonable is because we saw shades of Houston Josh in the last 20 minutes. You could feel how rattled he was, then the fumble to really let the Rams back in. 

Allen is always going to be a little wild... It's his game. It's what makes him effective. 

Yes, sometimes he's so competitive that it costs you. 

But man can he make plays! 

I say A for this week because that last drive it seemed like it was whatever down and 25 to go the entire drive and he led the team to a winning TD. Kid has ice water in his veins, as coach said.

He's a different kind of QB than almost everyone else in the NFL. 

Just now, FireChans said:

I mean the INT sucked. It was a questionable toss by Josh but I will always live with taking shots downfield.

But the real reason why I think a B+ is reasonable is because we saw shades of Houston Josh in the last 20 minutes. You could feel how rattled he was, then the fumble to really let the Rams back in. 

when the defense fails and the line cant block there's s not much you could do

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Allen is always going to be a little wild... It's his game. It's what makes him effective. 

Yes, sometimes he's so competitive that it costs you. 

But man can he make plays! 

I say A for this week because that last drive it seemed like it was whatever down and 25 to go the entire drive and he led the team to a winning TD. Kid has ice water in his veins, as coach said.

He's a different kind of QB than almost everyone else in the NFL. 

100% agree

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

i said some people i didnt say op

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

when the defense fails and the line cant block there's s not much you could do

100% agree

He's not on the field when the defense is on the field.

He still fumbled to give them the ball in the red zone.

I'm not bashing Josh but he had a significant stretch in the game where he didn't look good, and that's why a B+ is reasonable.

Edited by FireChans
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm not bashing Josh but he had a significant stretch in the game where he didn't look good, and that's why a B+ is reasonable.

when defenses fail it puts added pressure on Qb. we disagree you will get over it

I don’t think you can give Josh an A+ with the bonehead plays.  They were crucial, one resulting in a turnover plus a 15 yard penalty, the other ( face mask) a sack plus a 15 yard penalty.  Even the so-called INT was a hero-ball throw that shouldn’t have been attempted.  What a catch by Kroft though.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Did anyone give Mahomes an A for the Chargers game?

Yes, he got a lot of praise for that game

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

"Significant stretch"?  LMAO, the only significant stretch around here is saying he had a significant stretch where he didnt look good.  

3 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

24/33 - 73% completion - 311 yards - 4 TDs 1 INT - 8 yards rushing - 1 rushing TD - 1 fumble

Before the pitchforks come out regarding my grade let me make one thing clear: Josh had some really bad plays that could/should have lost us the game... we still won, but it does not erase those head scratching, game crippling plays. You take those away? He has another A+ game. All I ask is you don't let the flashy fantasy scores blind your assessment of his play this week.

With that said, here is what I loved:

- Flawless first half of football. He was in command at all times and showed franchise qualities that he is indeed the dude.

- Trusting his WR's and spreading the ball all around the field

- a mix of fastballs and loft change ups - his touch is unreal right now (Diggs laser in the endzone vs Ramsey was amazing)

- He is our offense. 5 TD's total

most importantly...

- when things were bad, and we knew it was Josh Allen time, deep down I knew he would somehow pull it off. It reminded me of watching Brett Favre back in the day, or even Rodgers now. The 3rd down and long to Beez was just amazing. Then to follow it up with a game winner was must see TV!

As Josh progresses and starts becoming weekly MVP talk, we need to be more critical and hopefully clean up the head scratching moments. Yes, maybe the INT should not have counted, but it did and lead to a complete snowball effect of a Rams comeback. Yes, when he avoids the blitz he sometimes makes nice throws down the field however yelling at a ref after a play and taking sacks in moments where we absolutely cannot allow it just cannot happen if we want to win playoff games. Need proof? Watch our last playoff game.

Overall, Josh is playing at an incredible level and as a Bills fan I could not be happier. I invested tons of $$ in his rookie cards 3 years ago and right now those prices have absolutely sky rocketed. People are starting to believe, and I am sure networks are calling the league right now trying to get more Josh Allen on TV. B+ vs A-, who cares. We should all be celebrating as Bills fans. We have waited a LOOOONG TIME for this.

GO BILLS! 

Good thing there’s no shortage of toilet paper cuz you could have used that report card to wipe your 

6 TDs when you count the ones we had to keep re-scoring early in the game. Plus a 7th that he ran in.

0 INTs when you count reality.

Bonus points for getting an Unsportsmanlike for yelling at the refs (who deserved it), and a PF for ripping down DLineman by the facemask.

A+

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe the head scratching plays deserve to remain. Maybe that's just the gunslinger in Josh. Allen is the antithesis of Tyrod, JP and Trentative. Yes he will try anything to help his team. Even if it's crazy. But he's trying to make plays and I don't ever want him to lose that mentality in his DNA. Yes as others have said he has alot of Farve in him. I care more about W's then grades. But I will give the defense an F today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes, he got a lot of praise for that game

"Significant stretch"?  LMAO, the only significant stretch around here is saying he had a significant stretch where he didnt look good.  

Weird. I saw a lot of Herbert praise for hanging in there with the Chiefs. Not so much, "Pat Mahomes is unbelievable with 2 TD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe we listen to different stations.

• Like (+1) 1

A- today. My only real critique this week is that he tried to play a little too much hero ball at times. Not so much forcing throws or wild decisions. More, that there were times he needed to get rid of the ball sooner. Too much looking for the big play. 

I’ll be curious to see what the all-22 says. Was he not seeing the right guys at the top of his drop back or were there guys just not open. 2019 Josh I would have jumped on it and assumed he wasn’t trusting his eyes. So far I trust 2020 Josh. 

Overall I loved him today. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

He needs to throw it away earlier, especially when rolling left. 

Yeah, that one play that seemed to last forever that ended up with a 2-handed push throw where he was called down, he was surrounded but kept getting free but not enough to get off a strong pass with his right arm.  Thus the push pass.  Maybe he needs to practice throwing with his left so he can be ambidextrous like Mahomes?

Edited by ColeB
The use of “####” in “#### the arm “ was blocked out.
  • Like (+1) 1