Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

50 minutes ago, DQW87 said:

I think when he watches film of that play where his knee was down, he's gonna see that he just needs to launch it out of bounds as it was only 1st down.  2nd and 10 is way better than 2nd and 22. 

But because he's willing to try and escape the sack he makes a few miracle plays per game. I don't ever want him to lose that. I'll accept a couple sacks that look stupid in exchange for those incredible game changing plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

But because he's willing to try and escape the sack he makes a few miracle plays per game. I don't ever want him to lose that. I'll accept a couple sacks that look stupid in exchange for those incredible game changing plays.

I think part of this today is he's been able to get away with it this year because the line has been good enough that it's usually just one guy and he can avoid him, this time multiple people were getting through including a damn monster.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Yeah, I think we have to live with most of it. He’s not Josh unlike he makes those ridiculous escapes  and runs and ropes. Often times he makes great plays when he holds it too long. It’s not fair to expect him to make the right decision every time as to how much he should try to make a play when it looks impossible. 

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

24/33 - 73% completion - 311 yards - 4 TDs 1 INT - 8 yards rushing - 1 rushing TD - 1 fumble

Before the pitchforks come out regarding my grade let me make one thing clear: Josh had some really bad plays that could/should have lost us the game... we still won, but it does not erase those head scratching, game crippling plays. You take those away? He has another A+ game. All I ask is you don't let the flashy fantasy scores blind your assessment of his play this week.

With that said, here is what I loved:

- Flawless first half of football. He was in command at all times and showed franchise qualities that he is indeed the dude.

- Trusting his WR's and spreading the ball all around the field

- a mix of fastballs and loft change ups - his touch is unreal right now (Diggs laser in the endzone vs Ramsey was amazing)

- He is our offense. 5 TD's total

most importantly...

- when things were bad, and we knew it was Josh Allen time, deep down I knew he would somehow pull it off. It reminded me of watching Brett Favre back in the day, or even Rodgers now. The 3rd down and long to Beez was just amazing. Then to follow it up with a game winner was must see TV!

As Josh progresses and starts becoming weekly MVP talk, we need to be more critical and hopefully clean up the head scratching moments. Yes, maybe the INT should not have counted, but it did and lead to a complete snowball effect of a Rams comeback. Yes, when he avoids the blitz he sometimes makes nice throws down the field however yelling at a ref after a play and taking sacks in moments where we absolutely cannot allow it just cannot happen if we want to win playoff games. Need proof? Watch our last playoff game.

Overall, Josh is playing at an incredible level and as a Bills fan I could not be happier. I invested tons of $$ in his rookie cards 3 years ago and right now those prices have absolutely sky rocketed. People are starting to believe, and I am sure networks are calling the league right now trying to get more Josh Allen on TV. B+ vs A-, who cares. We should all be celebrating as Bills fans. We have waited a LOOOONG TIME for this.

GO BILLS! 

Bahahaha this grade is a joke. no other qb since Jim Kelly does what josh did for this team

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

24/33 - 73% completion - 311 yards - 4 TDs 1 INT - 8 yards rushing - 1 rushing TD - 1 fumble

Before the pitchforks come out regarding my grade let me make one thing clear: Josh had some really bad plays that could/should have lost us the game... we still won, but it does not erase those head scratching, game crippling plays. You take those away? He has another A+ game. All I ask is you don't let the flashy fantasy scores blind your assessment of his play this week.

With that said, here is what I loved:

- Flawless first half of football. He was in command at all times and showed franchise qualities that he is indeed the dude.

- Trusting his WR's and spreading the ball all around the field

- a mix of fastballs and loft change ups - his touch is unreal right now (Diggs laser in the endzone vs Ramsey was amazing)

- He is our offense. 5 TD's total

most importantly...

- when things were bad, and we knew it was Josh Allen time, deep down I knew he would somehow pull it off. It reminded me of watching Brett Favre back in the day, or even Rodgers now. The 3rd down and long to Beez was just amazing. Then to follow it up with a game winner was must see TV!

As Josh progresses and starts becoming weekly MVP talk, we need to be more critical and hopefully clean up the head scratching moments. Yes, maybe the INT should not have counted, but it did and lead to a complete snowball effect of a Rams comeback. Yes, when he avoids the blitz he sometimes makes nice throws down the field however yelling at a ref after a play and taking sacks in moments where we absolutely cannot allow it just cannot happen if we want to win playoff games. Need proof? Watch our last playoff game.

Overall, Josh is playing at an incredible level and as a Bills fan I could not be happier. I invested tons of $$ in his rookie cards 3 years ago and right now those prices have absolutely sky rocketed. People are starting to believe, and I am sure networks are calling the league right now trying to get more Josh Allen on TV. B+ vs A-, who cares. We should all be celebrating as Bills fans. We have waited a LOOOONG TIME for this.

GO BILLS! 

Here is why I don't like your grade.  EVERY QB has plays they wish they could have back.  Some of you refuse to give Josh an A unless he has a perfect game.  Mahomes had a lot of bad plays and almost lost to a Chargers Rookie QB who did not know he was playing until literally the ball was in the air on the kickoff.  I mean it happens.  We needed plays, Josh kept moving trying to make plays when Donald and that pass rush broke through.  And he still converted 2 different 3rd and 20+ plays on that game winning drive.  

For me, this was an A for him.  Kid has over 1100 total yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT (That wasn't an INT), over 70% comp on the season and 2 4th quarter comebacks when our defense couldn't protect the lead.  

Him and Wilson are the clear leaders in the MVP race as of right now.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

As someone who grades subjective stuff, I gotta agree with OP—B+ seems fair. 

Those insisting on an A+ were either getting beer while Josh turned a seven-yard sack into a double digit sack and didn’t get rid of the ball, or perhaps, they’re still waiting for their participation trophy.

An MVP season is not a matter of earning an A every time out. It’s more a matter of avoiding multiple D’s.

Josh has been great, and we’ll probably have to watch some head-scratchers to enjoy the “did you just see that!” plays he pulls out of his hat.

Personally, I most appreciate that for the past ten or so games and I see Josh walk onto the field with four minutes left and needing a TD,  I honestly feel like the Bills will walk away with a W. Been a long time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've doubted Josh all along, but not any more. I have never seen a QB with so many faults turn it around like he has this season. I don't blame him so much for that fumble, but like reigning the velocity of his throws, he must start wrapping up the ball even if it means a few less dramatic scrambles. Turnovers are killers and this is his last big hurdle to overcome. He simply must learn to put both hands on the ball and go down when he's in heavy traffic. Of course there will be some exceptions when a game is on the line. He also needs to limit the number of hits he's taking. Now that the light has come on for him, we can ill afford to lose him to injury.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

A+

bailed us out. without Allen this is a total blow out. shouldn't even have had an interception. 

this is a game we get dominated in last season. 

Agree it shouldn't have been an Int, but he also shouldn't have thrown into double coverage either, particularly with a guy like Kroft on the receiving end.  If it were Diggs back, then not as concerning taking the chance.  Very similar to last years deep pass to DeMarco.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Oh, and his O-Line was getting absolutely destroyed at the end of the game and he still made it happen on several third and long plays.

Did he make a few mistakes? Yes. That doesn’t invalidate all of the points above.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

This.....'shaky in the pocket' was a result of the jail break pass rush for most of the 4Q.

Yes because defenses are figuring out that is the one thing he still can't seem to be able to handle.  Either the Bills need to get better on their O-line to prevent this or Allen needs to learn to stop running backwards so much with the ball in one hand.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is why I don't like your grade.  EVERY QB has plays they wish they could have back.  Some of you refuse to give Josh an A unless he has a perfect game.  Mahomes had a lot of bad plays and almost lost to a Chargers Rookie QB who did not know he was playing until literally the ball was in the air on the kickoff.  I mean it happens.  We needed plays, Josh kept moving trying to make plays when Donald and that pass rush broke through.  And he still converted 2 different 3rd and 20+ plays on that game winning drive.  

For me, this was an A for him.  Kid has over 1100 total yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT (That wasn't an INT), over 70% comp on the season and 2 4th quarter comebacks when our defense couldn't protect the lead.  

Him and Wilson are the clear leaders in the MVP race as of right now.  

Did anyone give Mahomes an A for the Chargers game?