Tremaine Edmunds and the run game

BillsFan130

23 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

First off, awesome win by the Bills as they beat a good team and faced a lot of adversity.

While there were a lot of positives, there were also a lot of negatives.

One of them was Tremaine Edmunds, especially in the run game.

Seemed to me like there were a lot of missed tackles, not getting off blocks, and missing the holes.

For anyone who knows the game more the game than me, would that be a fair assessment today?

Go Bills, huge win at the end of the day.

Edmunds looks to be well under 100%. 

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Guy is hurt and everyone piles on. Nice  

Not piling on him. Said he had a brutal game. 

All I know he was cleared to play, was put on the field and played all game, and played bad.

If you know more inside information, please let me know...

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills do what they do.  Limit total yards and scoring.  That bogus Int was the only reason LA got back into the game.  That was a lets tighten up the game type call.  Buffalo plays a bend and not break defense.  99.99 perecent of teams abandon the run and plays into Mcdermotts plan.  Mcvay is an offensive genius.  Teams dont ask the wrs to block and take off like that.  The Bills offense is offically legit.  Teams will stuggle playing chase vs our d.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

That’s possible.  If that’s the case though, MCD should have pulled him as he was a liability today.

That second half would've been infinitely worse if Dodson had to step in, frankly. McVay would've picked him apart in coverage, forget the run. 

To OP's points, fwiw:

Regardless of whether Edmunds was 100% today, this wasn't his best showing from a run read perspective. It's always been his biggest chip. However, you can only take so much of these hot takes every time he has a showing like this - this dead horse can only be beaten so many times. What these people should actually have an issue with are two things: one, we have a difficult time at 1T DL in getting a set LOS and gap setter. It starts up front, and frankly Harry may not be 100% either. I'm not sure what happened to Butler today but Oliver can only do so much. Two, this is the defensive scheme and system we have - and it's hard for people to understand apparently, but McD's base scheme does not have a "traditional" MLB. What people are craving for is the Brandon Spikes run stuffer which to McD is a one-dimensional aspect of a multi-dimensional position. That to say, McD's MLB is a hybrid position requiring as much, if not more, coverage ability in the zone match scheme than in the run stuffing scheme. I agree, Edmunds can still do more to improve this aspect of his game, but he is not the LB that played today and McD sees all of it. I'll end this bit by simply saying the kid (literal, kid in NFL terms) is continuing to show growth in a highly complicated defensive scheme. He is and will be a great piece of our defense, and it was night and day between last week and today regardless of what the outcome was in the second half. 

Lastly, I'll say this one thing about today specifically. The Rams ran a great offense in the second half, that I'd like to see any defense handle. McVay was keeping track of the DL rotations we were using and made the most of the match-ups he identified. We saw year one Goff getting to the line early and have to think he had the extra mic time and ability to pre-snap read. Either way we were focused on shutting down Higbee, which we overall could say we did. That was huge. Woods took us to town on sweeps, but overall we were looking to make this a trench game and prevent air yards. The Rams are a very good football team, it's as simple as that. What will say the most about today is how this defense comes out next week away against a seemingly resurgent Raiders team with a, you guessed it, a stout run game with Jacobs. These hot takes have to stop though...today's blood pressure game is enough. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

That second half would've been infinitely worse if Dodson had to step in, frankly. McVay would've picked him apart in coverage, forget the run. 

To OP's points, fwiw:

Regardless of whether Edmunds was 100% today, this wasn't his best showing from a run read perspective. It's always been his biggest chip. However, you can only take so much of these hot takes every time he has a showing like this - this dead horse can only be beaten so many times. What these people should actually have an issue with are two things: one, we have a difficult time at 1T DL in getting a set LOS and gap setter. It starts up front, and frankly Harry may not be 100% either. I'm not sure what happened to Butler today but Oliver can only do so much. Two, this is the defensive scheme and system we have - and it's hard for people to understand apparently, but McD's base scheme does not have a "traditional" MLB. What people are craving for is the Brandon Spikes run stuffer which to McD is a one-dimensional aspect of a multi-dimensional position. That to say, McD's MLB is a hybrid position requiring as much, if not more, coverage ability in the zone match scheme than in the run stuffing scheme. I agree, Edmunds can still do more to improve this aspect of his game, but he is not the LB that played today and McD sees all of it. I'll end this bit by simply saying the kid (literal, kid in NFL terms) is continuing to show growth in a highly complicated defensive scheme. He is and will be a great piece of our defense, and it was night and day between last week and today regardless of what the outcome was in the second half. 

Lastly, I'll say this one thing about today specifically. The Rams ran a great offense in the second half, that I'd like to see any defense handle. McVay was keeping track of the DL rotations we were using and made the most of the match-ups he identified. We saw year one Goff getting to the line early and have to think he had the extra mic time and ability to pre-snap read. Either way we were focused on shutting down Higbee, which we overall could say we did. That was huge. Woods took us to town on sweeps, but overall we were looking to make this a trench game and prevent air yards. The Rams are a very good football team, it's as simple as that. What will say the most about today is how this defense comes out next week away against a seemingly resurgent Raiders team with a, you guessed it, a stout run game with Jacobs. These hot takes have to stop though...today's blood pressure game is enough. 

Thanks for your input sir. Well thought out post

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The Bills do what they do.  Limit total yards and scoring.  That bogus Int was the only reason LA got back into the game.  That was a lets tighten up the game type call.  Buffalo plays a bend and not break defense.  99.99 perecent of teams abandon the run and plays into Mcdermotts plan.  Mcvay is an offensive genius.  Teams dont ask the wrs to block and take off like that.  The Bills offense is offically legit.  Teams will stuggle playing chase vs our d.

I’m not sure bend but don’t break is going to get them a Super Bowl  win, because when they come up against the big boy teams like the Chiefs and Ravens it’s very tough not too break...

30 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Edmunds and White played horrid today. Edmunds is a cover LB that has big time issues making tackles at the LOS. Im so glad we are paying a CB 19 mil a year to cover the Rams TE Evertt and White had a horrid all around day.

I maintain that paying a CB like that is never worth it. Good talent exposes any CB.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

My post was pretty conservative if you actually read it lol. 

Yes The rams offence is very good.

But the bills are supposed to have a “very good “ defence as well.

4 straight TDS in the 2nd half is inexcusable, and you can’t just chalk that up as “the rams offence is very good”. Got to do better and I think a lot of it starts with Edmunds in the middle 

4 straight Ram TDs had to do with Edmunds' play...

It had to do with Leslie's play-calling and a good Rams' offense, in my humble opinion. Mcvay made good half-time adjustments and Leslie failed to anticipate them.

12 minutes ago, Paulus said:

4 straight Ram TDs had to do with Edmunds' play...

It had to do with Leslie's play-calling and a good Rams' offense, in my humble opinion. Mcvay made good half-time adjustments and Leslie failed to anticipate them.

I definitely agree In regards to the coaching. But Edmunds missed a lot of plays as well

55 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Totally agree that Edmunds was a goat today. He bit on the fake so many times and over pursued - that led to Woods having a field day! Reminded me of the first three halves in 2 games of the 2018 season when the QBs manipulated Edmunds easily.

He needs to have more discipline.

He has always had a bit of an issue with gap discipline. And he does chase the play action fake. Thought he started the game okay. But he definitely got picked on as it went on.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I definitely agree In regards to the coaching. But Edmunds missed a lot of plays as well

Honestly, is it Edmunds fault he was out of position or the coaches? With the way the Bills fell apart in half #2, I lean towards blaming the coaches. 

I could be wrong, but the Rams had way too easy of a time scoring in half #2. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Edmunds poor play was a symptom of a bigger problem, that McVay exposed. That said, Edmunds did have a poor game (I agree with you on that).

22 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The manipulated Edmunds a lot today. He was a clear target in the pass and run game. 

Run game absolutely yes, gotta disagree on the pass game. He wasn’t the one giving up all of the catches to the WRs. Tre had an off game and Wallace continues to play bad. They abused Taron Johnson badly too 

Just now, Paulus said:

Honestly, is it Edmunds fault he was out of position or the coaches? With the way the Bills fell apart in half #2, I lean towards blaming the coaches. 

I could be wrong, but the Rams had way too easy of a time scoring in half #2. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Edmunds poor play was a symptom of a bigger problem, that McVay exposed. That said, Edmunds did have a poor game (I agree with you on that).

I would say a bit of both.

Mcvay out schemed MCD especially in the 2nd half.

But Edmunds has to get off blocks and make more plays in my opinion.

I noted that Edmunds started the game very well (some big thumping hits early on) and then quickly fatigued and found himself "chasing" the rest of the game a played out of position trying to make up for it and got abused. Not sure if the shoulder also played a role.